Sign in to follow this  
blitz

M4 assault rifle accuracy test (VIDEO)

Weapons just lying around for years without proper maintenance would be inaccurate however.

Yep, Rocket mentioned it one of the interviews or development diaries(can't remember) weapon maintenance is going to play a big part in the game. Having worn, damaged parts is going to affect how your weapon handles.

People will or should learn the mechanic's of gun play in this game and the more skilful the player, the faster they will understand how to aim and fire. In recording this video, I learned one extra thing and if watch the video closely on the last zombie I kill, you will see what I did differently. Well someone adept in aiming will.

Edited by -seraphine-

Weapons just lying around for years without proper maintenance would be inaccurate however.

False

Do you know how weapons operate? What exacly do you think would make a weapon inaccurate if it sits for years? What maintenace do you think a weapon needs (aside from cleaning/oiling it after you fire it)?

Ofcourse if you leave one laying in a field for years it could and would get damaged. But in that case, it would be more about whether it rips itself apart or if it will even fire at all rather then accuracy.

I'm a civilan (always have been) who has owned multiple weapons for 20 years, been shooting off and on for around 26-27 years. I don't shoot often, maybe a once or twice ever few years on average (last time I shot any of them was 4 years ago), a few houndred rounds at a time. I clean my weapons after I use them, then they get put away and untouched. One of them sits in a closet, I have no speical case or safe for them. Guess what, they are just as accurate as the last time I shot them, everytime. If I take one or all of them out right now they will have lost NO accuracy what so ever, after 4 years of sitting.

I could be wrong on a few things, but I'm going off of first hand knowledge, which you clearly are not.

I suggest you research things before you go stating them as facts.  ;)

Edit: I know cleaning should be done periodically or a weapon will deteriorate faster, but I'm slack and don't do it. But thats my point, even not doing it, my weapons don't lose accuracy.

Edited by globalwar
  • Like 1

False

Do you know how weapons operate? What exacly do you think would make a weapon inaccurate if it sits for years? What maintenace do you think a weapon needs (aside from cleaning/oiling it after you fire it)?

Ofcourse if you leave one laying in a field for years it could and would get damaged. But in that case, it would be more about whether it rips itself apart or if it will even fire at all rather then accuracy.

I'm a civilan (always have been) who has owned multiple weapons for 20 years, been shooting off and on for around 26-27 years. I don't shoot often, maybe a once or twice ever few years on average (last time I shot any of them was 4 years ago), a few houndred rounds at a time. I clean my weapons after I use them, then they get put away and untouched. One of them sits in a closet, I have no speical case or safe for them. Guess what, they are just as accurate as the last time I shot them, everytime. If I take one or all of them out right now they will have lost NO accuracy what so ever, after 4 years of sitting.

I could be wrong on a few things, but I'm going off of first hand knowledge, which you clearly are not.

I suggest you research things before you go stating them as facts.  ;)

Edit: I know cleaning should be done periodically or a weapon will deteriorate faster, but I'm slack and don't do it. But thats my point, even not doing it, my weapons don't lose accuracy.

Your guns are cleaned and stored. Guns in dayz have been exposed to the elements and in the case of the mosin full of cosmoline.

Two different cases your weapons should function fine you have taken good care of them. The random m4 found years later in a bunker that has been exposed to the elements and surely has some rust issues will not function anywhere near as well as the weapons you own.

As far as stanag vs cmag, the only difference would be the cmag feeds better. The bullets are the same. 

One can only hope.

Civilian should be the one word that keeps getting repeated over and over again while the game is being made.

If we put in helicopters would civilians know how to repair and fly them ?

If we put 50 cals in would your normal civilian bother carrying around the 30 pound gun and know how to operate it ?

Basically I hope if a civilian would not know how to use it then its not in the game.

Keeping stand alone civilian heavy and letting the mods for it focus on military loot and vehicles would work out best.

Most people and I mean the vast majority of people are not hunters or farmers. If the game takes place in some Eastern European nation then the number of people that shoot regularly let alone ever even held a gun drops dramatically.  You day to day soccer moms, and auto mechanics do not know how to shoot let alone properly maintain firearms.

Overall though, i haven't had any issue with the M4, although i haven't tried shooting more than 50 meters.

Ya, but because most people have not shot a gun means i have to suffer even though i have? I don't like that. It should be based on the players skill in game, not some magical learning curve. Hunting rifles are literally the easiest thing to shoot next to a .22. I mean, I can hit a grouping tighter than a deers butthole a 100 meters with a .30-06 lol.

Your guns are cleaned and stored. Guns in dayz have been exposed to the elements and in the case of the mosin full of cosmoline.

Two different cases your weapons should function fine you have taken good care of them. The random m4 found years later in a bunker that has been exposed to the elements and surely has some rust issues will not function anywhere near as well as the weapons you own.

LOL

http://youtu.be/bj5Kcs4dzro

Edit: not trying to be rude, just showing how weapons are much tougher than you think. A weapon that was oiled before being left in an empty building for four years will still function fairly well. If it was completely unmainted it's whole life, then left for years, the weapon wouldn;t function.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

Just gonna say that the Mosin performs quite accurately for me. I have noticed that wind is a much bigger factor in the stand alone, and judging by the movement of the tree tops the wind was blowing decently hard to your left. Imo it sent your first round not above his head head but just to the left of it, which is why all of your follow up shots also went left of the target, though firing while you still had scope wobble from chambering the next round certainly didn't help your cause either I think. I haven't really tried sniping players yet, but I've practiced plinking a number of zeds with it, and when I take the time to figure out the wind and distance I can usually get a 1 shot kill within 500m. Tried shooting beyond that once, was guesstimating like 700m, but I couldn't even see the bullet impact to compensate so I just gave up.

No, the first shot definitely went above and not left. There isn't a wobble with the crosshairs. That's the problem. If the crosshairs wobbled, i could use some skills to combat it, and make the shot. BUT THEY DON'T. 

Also there is no wind. If they want to add wind to bullet factors, i better be able to use sand dust, trees, bushes, clothing, mirages, etc to be able to determine wind.. just like in real life. In the American Irac war, the navy seals use mirages to determine wind. So I better see it in this if they implement wind affecting bullets. This is getting out of hand with the realism and it's becoming not fun. You can't make a game 100% realistic.

Edited by Mao Zedong

As far as stanag vs cmag, the only difference would be the cmag feeds better. The bullets are the same. 

Ya, but because most people have not shot a gun means i have to suffer even though i have? I don't like that. It should be based on the players skill in game, not some magical learning curve. Hunting rifles are literally the easiest thing to shoot next to a .22. I mean, I can hit a grouping tighter than a deers butthole a 100 meters with a .30-06 lol.

LOL

Edit: not trying to be rude, just showing how weapons are much tougher than you think. A weapon that was oiled before being left in an empty building for four years will still function fairly well. If it was completely unmainted it's whole life, then left for years, the weapon wouldn;t function.

Why would they magically come out of their cases and lay in the middle of a street? Lets say the door magically grow legs and come out to the open. We should have ways to clean and restore them. ONLY REALISTIC. The realism argument goes both ways. Tired of it.

Why would they magically come out of their cases and lay in the middle of a street? Lets say the door magically grow legs and come out to the open. We should have ways to clean and restore them. ONLY REALISTIC. The realism argument goes both ways. Tired of it.

I'm guessin english isn't your first language, because you misunderstood what i was saying. My post said i didn't want to have to shoot in order to gain accuracy.

The second part was showing how tough guns are.

LOL

Of course the gun will fire I bet the accuracy of the gun is alot worse than if the barrel was clean.

This most apparent with precision rifles even minor fouling can make the rifle loose a huge amount of accuracy.

No, the first shot definitely went above and not left. There isn't a wobble with the crosshairs. That's the problem. If the crosshairs wobbled, i could use some skills to combat it, and make the shot. BUT THEY DON'T. 

Also there is no wind. If they want to add wind to bullet factors, i better be able to use sand dust, trees, bushes, clothing, mirages, etc to be able to determine wind.. just like in real life. In the American Irac war, the navy seals use mirages to determine wind. So I better see it in this if they implement wind affecting bullets. This is getting out of hand with the realism and it's becoming not fun. You can't make a game 100% realistic.

Trees, grass, bushes, all of these sway with the wind in the game. Have you noticed your breath in game? If the wind is strong it'll blow it away from your face instead of it typically floating about your face. Every time I have noticed the wind and compensated for it I have hit my target within 500m just about where I intended it to go. Either wind affects bullet trajectory, or I'm freaking crazy lucky with the random bullet placement.  I think it's an improvement as frankly sniping was by far too easy in the mod and EVERYONE's endgame weapon of choice was a sniper of some kind, and I just found it outright boring due to the simplicity.

Trees, grass, bushes, all of these sway with the wind in the game. Have you noticed your breath in game? If the wind is strong it'll blow it away from your face instead of it typically floating about your face. Every time I have noticed the wind and compensated for it I have hit my target within 500m just about where I intended it to go. Either wind affects bullet trajectory, or I'm freaking crazy lucky with the random bullet placement.  I think it's an improvement as frankly sniping was by far too easy in the mod and EVERYONE's endgame weapon of choice was a sniper of some kind, and I just found it outright boring due to the simplicity.

I have noticed stuff sways.. but I don't see it in uniform. Meaning it sways because of a fixed animation. In 3D terms, it doesn't have any softbody properties. The sway doesn't reflect the hypothetical "wind' from what I can tell. I will try to go in game and do some more testing.

If the objects in game ARE softbody, ie effected by an in game "wind" feature, then I'm pretty excited. I would love to see a feature like that, but I can't imagine the servers being about to handle that amount of demand on the CPU. It would indeed make sniping much more enjoyable and realistic. 

If the objects in game ARE softbody, ie effected by an in game "wind" feature, then I'm pretty excited. I would love to see a feature like that, but I can't imagine the servers being about to handle that amount of demand on the CPU. It would indeed make sniping much more enjoyable and realistic.

I doubt it. Trees sway in ArmA 3 as well but there's no wind in that game (the war simulator) and from what I heard Bohemia apparently wasn't considering adding any either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhJyw7KPoM

Edited by Gews