Sign in to follow this  
blitz

M4 assault rifle accuracy test (VIDEO)

Ok, so a lot of people have been chatting about the M4 assault rifle accuracy. so I took mine out and blasted a few zombies. These kills are about medium range, with a M4 that has damaged, worn and pristine parts. Also note that my character is suffering from blood loss and I am in a standing and prone/kneeling stance.

As soon as I find a pristine red dot or acog scope, I will run the tests again.

Shameless advertisement :P

If you want to keep track and stay up to date on my videos, Subscribe to my channel. A lot more day z videos to follow, fact or fiction and some lets play.

• Like 3

Must've explained why I got killed by a single bullet from an M4.

Edited by TIC321

I think the weapon accuracy is fine ...its more down to the server lag and your fps/connection or another players connection to the server that will make your gun feel inaccurate.

Edited by Massicor

people cry about it being inaccurate... really?.. they expect it to be fully on spot after running and having damaged parts or ammo..

I think the weapon accuracy is fine ...its more down to the server lag and your fps/connection or another players connection to the server that will make your gun feel inaccurate.

and some peoples dodgy aim :P

You can add my videos from another thread to your post if you want so we can collect some kind of list to prove the CoD faction wrong. ;) 

Hitting a Z at around ~400, probably a bit less.

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430336

Some running guy, very close, three shots from the hip.

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430444

Trying to safe a buddy who was in a fistfight, from the first 3 at least 2 hit him (my buddy saw him bleeding very badly).

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430499

After a buddy got knocked out and he was unconscious (standing because of bug) 

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430532

Buddy got chased by a guy with an axe. Two shot burst, instant kill.

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430701

Haven't recorded any mid range fights cause I only streamed today for a friend, but I had very good performance in those too. Never needed more than 5-8 bullets to kill someone.

• Like 1

You can add my videos from another thread to your post if you want so we can collect some kind of list to prove the CoD faction wrong. ;)

Might explain, why some guy jumped out of a 2 story building and tried to 360 no scope me.

Hey, saw this thread and thought I'd post a (very!!) quick test on the Mosin accuracy too.. maybe I just suck, but it seems to be off pretty bad as well. I'll post the video and the description for it below. Thoughts?

"

This is at 400 meters. 
First shot - Mid upper chest - bullet goes over head.
Second shot - Compensated by aiming at waist - Bullet lands at waist level but to the left.
Third Shot - Upper chest - Bullet lands way left and high
Fourth Shot - Aimed@legs - Lands at feet (but he began to move)

First time using the rifle with the scope so don't flame me too hard. Everything pristine. 
Is the accuracy completely random?

I have more footage at 800meters but it's hard to see the bullet landings.

"

"

This is at 400 meters. 

Second shot - Compensated by aiming at waist - Bullet lands at waist level but to the left.

First time using the rifle with the scope so don't flame me too hard. Everything pristine. 

"

Your first shot was only a little bit to high or through the backpack ... and the rest was way to fast after the first one (you see the scope still shaking from the reload). Try to see what you did wrong on the first one and give the character a second to aim, hold you breath and the next one will hit ;).

Edited by jadee

Your first shot was only a little bit to high or through the backpack ... and the rest was way to fast after the first one (you see the scope still shaking from the reload). Try to see what you did wrong on the first one and give the character a second to aim, hold you breath and the next one will hit ;).

I don't understand the scope still shaking though.. the cross hairs were dead center, and moved down in compensation when I fired.. :/ 

Hey, saw this thread and thought I'd post a (very!!) quick test on the Mosin accuracy too.. maybe I just suck, but it seems to be off pretty bad as well. I'll post the video and the description for it below. Thoughts?

I was trying the same thing with both the PU scope and Hunting Scope and noticed the same thing.  I assumed there would be wind and bullet drop but could not hit my target.  I am guessing that the Z was around 500 meters away with the PU scope (firing prone level to my target) and maybe 350 with the hunter at 50m+ elevated position and kept trying to compensate but I also missed (I fired like 20 rounds at this Z too).  My conclusion on the Mosin is that it's just not accurate (like real life).  It's not a precision rifle and was never designed to be a precision rifle.

Edited by LigerNoir

Loving how the weapons arent completely super accurate unlike the mod.

It works because these survivors arent highly trained soldiers just regular civilians.

• Like 1

DayZ sets the M4's spread to 0.1

compare and contrast with the the m16's 0.00125 in ARMA2

chaps, stop spamming the forum with your anecdotal evidence

• Like 1

It works because these survivors arent highly trained soldiers just regular civilians.

So, using your logic there will never be helicopters in the game. 

Edited by Mallow88

Seriously thats some crazy logic... most hunters can shoot... same as farmers... Its not actually that difficult. Your level o training shouldnt effect the ballistics, thats just being silly. Do like arma three, and have gun sway, dependent on stance.

In saying that, shooting accurate out past 500 with something like the mosin, should be near nigh impossible... even with a decent rifle, out past that 500, ammo starts to play a big role as well as the condition o the rifle

DayZ sets the M4's spread to 0.1

compare and contrast with the the m16's 0.00125 in ARMA2

chaps, stop spamming the forum with your anecdotal evidence

Yup... i wonder if its deliberate(maybe supposed to be badly worn barrels?)... i notice the canteen bottles hold, 10 or 100ml... i forget, but obviously they should be 1000ml

Edited by KingOchaos

So, using your logic there will never be helicopters in the game. 

One can only hope.

Civilian should be the one word that keeps getting repeated over and over again while the game is being made.

If we put in helicopters would civilians know how to repair and fly them ?

If we put 50 cals in would your normal civilian bother carrying around the 30 pound gun and know how to operate it ?

Basically I hope if a civilian would not know how to use it then its not in the game.

Keeping stand alone civilian heavy and letting the mods for it focus on military loot and vehicles would work out best.

Seriously thats some crazy logic... most hunters can shoot... same as farmers

Most people and I mean the vast majority of people are not hunters or farmers. If the game takes place in some Eastern European nation then the number of people that shoot regularly let alone ever even held a gun drops dramatically.  You day to day soccer moms, and auto mechanics do not know how to shoot let alone properly maintain firearms.

Edited by gibonez

dont understand this at all. Im the one playing the game, this isn't a simulation. The gun should shoot where I aim (obviously with other variables considered). It shouldn't be inaccurate regardless of where you aim just because the game is about everyday survivors of a zombie apocalypse. That is just plain annoying and laves everything up to chance and doesn't reward people who can actually aim accurately.

Some people want this game to be OTT with realism, next they'll start wanting an update of 'when nature calls' when your guy needs the toilet every few hours and you need to dig a hole int he ground and collect leaves

"

This is at 400 meters. 

"

Just gonna say that the Mosin performs quite accurately for me. I have noticed that wind is a much bigger factor in the stand alone, and judging by the movement of the tree tops the wind was blowing decently hard to your left. Imo it sent your first round not above his head head but just to the left of it, which is why all of your follow up shots also went left of the target, though firing while you still had scope wobble from chambering the next round certainly didn't help your cause either I think. I haven't really tried sniping players yet, but I've practiced plinking a number of zeds with it, and when I take the time to figure out the wind and distance I can usually get a 1 shot kill within 500m. Tried shooting beyond that once, was guesstimating like 700m, but I couldn't even see the bullet impact to compensate so I just gave up.

Edited by MacWilliam

Did you ever consider that maybe at this point in the zombie apocalypse, those individuals with military training might have the best chance of survival? So why then is it a stretch to believe that our characters have military training? I mean, they sure know how to quickly don a gas mask, as well as a multitude of other military gear. Their use of most of these weapons in itself shows a level of training.

"Civilians don't know how to fire guns"... I am seeing a lot of this kind of logic on these forums lately and quite honestly it's absolutely absurd. 

First of all, as others have mentioned: It's a game.. A player of the game who does not know how to use their mouse, properly set their sensitivity, or who overall panics under stressful situations is your equivalent of a "civilian" IRL, and they will lose fire fights in game.

Compare that to someone who has 15+ years of FPS experience and has played FPS games at LAN tournaments and been in the competitive scene for a while.. These guys are going to be more along the lines of your "military" survivors..

The game should not be creating mechanics in order to screw with the player because the game "assumes" they should be bad at using firearms. 

Secondly, the amount of bullet spread in game right now is OBVIOUSLY much higher than it was in Arma II engine, and that has been proven. So anyone who mocks others for their "lol horrible aim baddy scrub scrub" is being an arrogant prick. MOST people have noticed how incredibly inaccurate the guns are and if you haven't you obviously haven't been using them very much. While it IS possible to get accurate shots off, that does not mean that the guns are as accurate as they should be.

You can take a 110 lb skinny, white, 12 year old boy from the suburbs and put an M16 in his hands, explain to him how to hold the gun and where to aim for approximately 2 minutes and he will be hitting a target 200m down range with better accuracy than the guns in the game currently exibit.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 4

That logic makes absolutely no sense. The accuracy of a weapon isn't based on the hands holding it.

The only thing that differs from person to person, is their skill at using a weapon, and that should be up to the player, not the game or characters.

When I encounter another player, my character doesn't say, do, or feel anything on his own. He doesn't panic or get shaky hands, but I do, and I don't need my char working against me in addition to that. Even if weapons were 100% accurate, my shots would still be rushed and less accurate than they should be, and I don't need some accuracy randomization to do that for me, because I'm the one panicking, not my character.

Characters in DayZ are supposed to be blank puppets representing the person controlling them. If you panic under pressure, the game doesn't need a panic mechanic; you're already doing that for the game. And you shouldn't be hindered by some in-game panic thing either, if you're able to stay calm under pressure.

Edited by Nerfed
  • Like 1

That logic makes absolutely no sense. The accuracy of a weapon isn't based on the hands holding it.

The only thing that differs from person to person, is their skill at using a weapon, and that should be up to the player, not the game or characters.

When I encounter another player, my character doesn't say, do, or feel anything on his own. He doesn't panic or get shaky hands, but I do, and I don't need my char working against me in addition to that. Even if weapons were 100% accurate, my shots would still be rushed and less accurate than they should be, and I don't need some accuracy randomization to do that for me, because I'm the one panicking, not my character.

Exactly.

Even if I am a completely untrained sivilian, who is starving, winded, thirsty and sick, that STILL does not mean that the gun itself is more innaccurate than one fired by a professional. It's not like the gun has a mind of its own and decides ´´Tee-Hee this guy is such a noobie I will make all the bullets swerve off course´´.

The inherent innaccuracy caused by the gun itself should be much lower, and especially for bolt-action rifles like the Mosin-Nagant which do not have any moving parts while firing.

Exactly.

Even if I am a completely untrained sivilian, who is starving, winded, thirsty and sick, that STILL does not mean that the gun itself is more innaccurate than one fired by a professional. It's not like the gun has a mind of its own and decides ´´Tee-Hee this guy is such a noobie I will make all the bullets swerve off course´´.

The inherent innaccuracy caused by the gun itself should be much lower, and especially for bolt-action rifles like the Mosin-Nagant which do not have any moving parts while firing.

Weapons just lying around for years without proper maintenance would be inaccurate however.