seifeler

Event server - A plea for private admin server control

All the things youve said are not true. I know people that have a server - they cant do shit.

There is no such thing as a private hive right now.... any server someone has is on the PUBLIC hive.....but thanks for proving that bit about intelligence

No No No, this to me is what Killed the Mod, it was so fucked up you never new what the Hell the server was you were going into, they had fucked around with all the Loot so everyone had all the top range gear. Give the Admins Less I say !

And that means you can still play in the public hives....... yay......... so whats your complaint?

I recommend blueberries, they're supposed to be good for brain development....and you seem like your young enough to still be "growing"

Oh jeez you opened this can of worms.

Let me be succinct, the DayZ player base has one of the most ridiculously entitled player bases on the face of the planet, even trying to openly discuss the responsible use of adminstrative control opens up a Pandora's Box of people that will just outright oppose it.

This is basically how the DayZ player base thinks.

1. It is not alright for the admin to be able to teleport. If the admin uses teleport functionality they are a bad admin.

2. If I die to a bug I should be teleported back to my corpse...and if the admin refuses to do so..they're a bad admin.

The very same DayZ player can believe those two very same things depending on the scenario. Even trying to have this discussion with anyone that isn't a server admin or part of the DayZ dev team is pointless.

So just as a word of warning, keep your head down, pay for your server and don't talk to these people about what admins need, cause its never going to be a productive conversation in this section of the forums.

Edited by semipr0
  • Like 2

Oh jeez you opened this can of worms.

Let me be succinct, the DayZ player base has one of the most ridiculously entitled player bases on the face of the planet, even trying to openly discuss the responsible use of adminstrative control opens up a Pandora's Box of people that will just outright oppose it.

This is basically how the DayZ player base thinks.

1. It is not alright for the admin to be able to teleport. If the admin uses teleport functionality they are a bad admin.

2. If I die to a bug I should be teleported back to my corpse...and if the admin refuses to do so..they're a bad admin.

The very same DayZ player can believe those two very same things depending on the scenario. Even trying to have this discussion with anyone that isn't a server admin or part of the DayZ dev team is pointless.

So just as a word of warning, keep your head down, pay for your server and don't talk to these people about what admins need, cause its never going to be a productive conversation in this section of the forums.

I'm not, and never have been a server admin, but I agree %100 with you!

And that means you can still play in the public hives....... yay......... so whats your complaint?

I recommend blueberries, they're supposed to be good for brain development....and you seem like your young enough to still be "growing"

Hey Blueberry I'm voicing my opinion to which I'm hardly alone , 23 posts and your in here giving people advice on Brain Development ohhh dear.

I personally don't think it is a good idea, and I would refuse to play on such servers because the theme created in my humble opinion, does not fit what dayz is made for.

However there is potential for good things to come of it, but there is way to much bad that will come of it.

So many problems will arise

1) Who decides who can use these admin powers

2) whats stops admins from lieing about their true intentions.

3) what if servers are made popular because these admins give many free items to its users

• Like 1

I personally don't think it is a good idea, and I would refuse to play on such servers because the theme created in my humble opinion, does not fit what dayz is made for.

However there is potential for good things to come of it, but there is way to much bad that will come of it.

So many problems will arise

1) Who decides who can use these admin powers

2) whats stops admins from lieing about their true intentions.

3) what if servers are made popular because these admins give many free items to its users

Good questions! Thank you!

1) This one is maybe the most difficult of all questions asked. An idea might be that Bohemia sets up a committee, administered by someone from the Bohemia staff, consisting of unpaid volunteers. As I already stated, people should pay for their server application being processed (50-100$ ???), so the time the Bohemia staff invests is payed for. Those servers should also be a little more expensive (+50%) to pay for any trouble the Bohemia staff has to look into. This extra money should go directly to Bohemia.

2) The fact that the server may be taken away from them if the server gets reported for admin abuse (3-strike-rule?). You loose the money spent on the application, you loose the money you payed for the server in advance, you loose the right to apply for a server again. There is already a method in effect to report abusive server admins, and it seems to be running well: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/158966-server-reporting/

I think this will prevent admins to abuse their rights. 

3) First and foremost let me repeat that these rights should only be granted for servers who support a private hive, so no items from those servers can be brought into the public hive. Then it's up to the player which experience they want to make in DayZ Standalone. I hated those 400-vehicles-, military-gear-at-start-, high-level-gear-everywhere-servers. That's not the experience I want to make in the game. I also want players on my server to experience the "real-DayZ" (hardcore survival, finding all the loot yourself). I'd never give free stuff to players.

I only need to spawn items to give them to my "event-actors". And I need them to teleport to the place they should play their role in the event. Let me say again that I am working with professional actors to play the main roles in the event. They know how to play, they follow the "dynamic-script"  they don't abuse their roles. They even let themselves be killed if I decide it's good or necessary for the progress of the story. I promise you a lot of fun and excitement when you take part in my events. A lot of players who have already taken part in my events on the Elysium-server have stated, they haven't experienced something like that before in any other game. It was amazing.

Then go play Arma II and mod the hell out of it? Just a thought.

My personal opinion, is no. This isn't needed. It fractures the community to hell and back and makes it difficult for the developers to do their jobs due to complaints and bugs caused by admins who don't know wtf they are doing. Not only that, if opens up the source code to security vulnerabilities that will directly impact the game no matter if its on a private hive or not.

Now with that said, I do understand what you are trying to accomplish with this and your goals. I used to run a little NWN2 server back in the day and had a great time coming up with events and such for my players. It was a blast for me and the players enjoyed them. Maybe a year or two after SA releases we can get something like this going due to player drop off and developement of Dayz 2 or something.

• Like 1

Don't you hear what the man said? the event had "Three!!" not one, not two, but THREE professional actors, you must give the honourable and venerable administration  teleportational powers at once for gods sake!!

• Like 1

Thanks for this statement, Zogvarn! I think I started this tread the wrong way. I just wanted to discuss the possibilities of those powers and how to restrict them. I also think it will take at least a year to develop fully but why can't we start to discuss this now as the systems and mechanics are planned, programmed and implemented?

Thanks for this statement, Zogvarn! I think I started this tread the wrong way. I just wanted to discuss the possibilities of those powers and how to restrict them. I also think it will take at least a year to develop fully but why can't we start to discuss this now as the systems and mechanics are planned, programmed and implemented?

I didn't mean to infer we shouldn't discuss the issue. Just do not think it is immediately needed or should have dev resources diverted to it right now. Rocket already stated they are considering the possibility of including modding capabilities sometime in the future. (People always take this as meaning it will be included for some reason.) But that security concerns have to be addressed.

Your ideas have some merit as to how we can attempt to weed out unwanted admins and such. But ultimately it all comes down to security and splitting the community. And after seeing how it affected the mod, I am against the idea of modding and private hives completely. Even if it is a losing battle.