Sign in to follow this  
PastorPounder

In-game Physics. Explain?

So I'm having a great time playing this alpha. I've gone through about 3 fully geared characters now, all of which seem to die off RIGHT after I get a weapon to go with the plethora of ammunition I have found. It seems my characters like to jump off high buildings. Every. Single. Time. 

Anyways, my question is. What is with the physics to the Arma/DayZ engines.

Im totally ok with it, but im just curious as to why it is.. the way it is.. 

Example. Up on a trailer dock about 3 feet up, you walk off.. There seems to be a delay as your guy stiffly falls to the ground and then stands there for a bit, shortly after groaning. Same thing, falling off a 3 story building ;) lol.. My character seems to dive stiff bodied to the ground and land on his feet.. Then about five seconds later. Dead..

Just curious as to why it is.. I understand the Engines are pretty complex as they are handling SOOOO much other stuff with these games.. but does have to do with the physics.. is it just to much? Also the lack of a proper jumping animation.. Whenever.. I mean something more than the new vaulting animation.

Thanks! :)

You'll have to email the game designers. This is something that goes with every game. Something always acts funny. I'll doubt they'll respond though.

Edited by symptom

There are no real physics in the engine. That would require DX11, which may or may not come in the future. It would take close to a year to implement.

I'm not sure I understand the question(s). it seems to have less to do with "physics", and more to do with a lack of an animation for a character falling off a building

if you fall from any considerable height in this game, you die. we can talk about what would happen 'in real life', but that's basically asking for an extremely complicated injury system. this game just assumes you're sufficiently injured that you might as well be dead

I'm not sure I understand the question(s). it seems to have less to do with "physics", and more to do with a lack of an animation for a character falling off a building

if you fall from any considerable height in this game, you die. we can talk about what would happen 'in real life', but that's basically asking for an extremely complicated injury system. this game just assumes you're sufficiently injured that you might as well be dead

Right, well forget the part about a three story building lol.. But for instance how buggy and.. stumped.. the game acts when you fall from like a 3 foot loading dock for instance.. It just acts like it doesnt know wtf to do.. 

Right, well forget the part about a three story building lol.. But for instance how buggy and.. stumped.. the game acts when you fall from like a 3 foot loading dock for instance.. It just acts like it doesnt know wtf to do.. 

Because it almost doesn't. lmao

it's the same thing in that the game doesn't have a specific animation for that event

these kind of things were never things the Arma games really worried about. as far as it's concerned, your fully geared soldier should walk down the stairs

hopefully these things can get better in time

This kind of behavior has been fixed in Arma 3, but not in DayZ it seems. As mentioned above, it's due to Arma 2 being a military simulator, and a military simulation doesnt really have to worry about this kind of things.