fml

This is what happens when you post your opinion here

I believe there needs to be a visual indicator for bandits, such as a skin. A heartbeat sound within certain range is too minimal, by the time you heart it, it is too late. This would discourage spawn and random killing, in my uneducated opinion. Although paranoia of every player may be a vital function to the game experience, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, as I am not a video game designer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TdLJl4W4wU

I decided to start fraps as I run past him, as I knew this was going to happen.

Thread is bad and OP should feel bad.

For stating my opinion? For echoing the insults? I apologize, I will never state my opinion again.

Why did you run in a straight line past a person with the shittiest gun in the game?

Why did you run in a straight line past a person with the shittiest gun in the game?

I just spawned, it really didnt matter. I always play friendly in case a person wants to team up. Direct chat (text) only has a 20m range.

i have some bad news for pro-bandit skinners:

you will still die constantly to other players

sorry dudes

The video begins with you running like 3m behind him. If you had not run in a straight line he probably would have missed and you'd both be gunless. It wouldn't be the greatest start to a relationship, but it'd be better than nothing.

If you did not intend to engage him and did not know his intentions, why are you running toward him in the open instead of taking cover and trying to use direct communications to make contact and ascertain his intent?

Why are you that close to someone whose intentions you have not verified?

Why would you turn your back on someone whose intentions you have not verified?

Why did you make no attempt yourself to indicate that you were friendly and weren't yourself about to turn around and start firing at any moment?

Why are you running along the coastline at spawn instead of directly inland to cover, supplies and much more likely survival scenarios?

Failing all of these things, why are you surprised you got your careless little brain pierced like a pig on a spit? What do you expect when you run around like a linebacker, completely exposed, totally unprotected and completely unaware when there are potentially hostile players in the area?

And why, please oh sweet mother tell me why. Why for one single motherfucking second do you think that the game should help you clean up the ridiculous mess that is your game play by holding your hand and pointing out in giant red letters who you need to avoid and who you can go charging past like a mutt in heat in search of your next eminent and inevitable demise at the hands of zombies. Which, had you survived, I'm sure you would be here complaining about instead.

If you're going to play the game like a bloody idiot, please don't come knocking on rocket's door asking for help. Take the diaper off, grab your favorite soda, sit down, and try really hard to play DayZ again.

Avoid players whose intentions you are unsure of. Make contact in ways other than physically exposing yourself to injury. Gather basic survival supplies, weapons and ammunition quietly in a group you can trust before trying to engage other players. Move quickly and quietly from cover point to cover point. Try to be aware of your surroundings at all times to call incoming player and zombie targets to your friends. Move to meet and then work in a group with at least one other person. If you do not know someone personally whom you can convince to play, try logging in to the teamspeak servers that many, many servers offer free of charge and finding someone there. No, you cannot be sure they will treat you fairly - but it's a much better bet than just randomly stumbling into people in the game. Learn the map and learn how to use the tools to find your way around the map so you can move quickly from one area to the next and effectively meet up with other players based on landmarks, direction, etc. A useful tip is that running 100m takes 20s and the smallest grid lines on the in-game map are 100m apart. So 2 blocks on the map = 40s, 3 is a minute, and so on. Use this to gauge where you are. Travel quietly. Scout ahead before you move. Listen carefully for gunfire. Be vigilant above all things.

Do these things. Do these few simple things. Practice them and when you make mistakes learn from those mistakes and try again.

When you've done all this and still find the game to be frustrating, THEN you may return and start demanding sweeping game design and balance changes.

But as long as you're going to bound down the beach like a kid's birthday clown then please, for the sake of the forums and the future of this game, just shut up and click respawn.

if you want something changed, I would suggest going to the suggestions forum and writing up a comprehensive post detailing:

-what you want

-why it benefits the gameplay experience

-why it is an improvement over the current system

-possible bias and appropriate compensation

saying "ITS BAD BECAUSE IT IS" does nothing to convince anyone you are correct or that your argument has merit, and does not consider rocket's, nor anyone else's, opinions and reasonings on the subject.

lol @ replies you guys need to calm down, its not that deep.

If you did not intend to engage him and did not know his intentions' date=' why are you running toward him in the open instead of taking cover and trying to use direct communications to make contact and ascertain his intent?

Why are you that close to someone whose intentions you have not verified?

Why would you turn your back on someone whose intentions you have not verified?

Why did you make no attempt yourself to indicate that you were friendly and weren't yourself about to turn around and start firing at any moment?

Why are you running along the coastline at spawn instead of directly inland to cover, supplies and much more likely survival scenarios?

Failing all of these things, why are you surprised you got your careless little brain pierced like a pig on a spit? What do you expect when you run around like a linebacker, completely exposed, totally unprotected and completely unaware when there are potentially hostile players in the area?

And why, please oh sweet mother tell me why. Why for one single motherfucking second do you think that the game should help you clean up the ridiculous mess that is your game play by holding your hand and pointing out in giant red letters who you need to avoid and who you can go charging past like a mutt in heat in search of your next eminent and inevitable demise at the hands of zombies. Which, had you survived, I'm sure you would be here complaining about instead.

If you're going to play the game like a bloody idiot, please don't come knocking on rocket's door asking for help. Take the diaper off, grab your favorite soda, sit down, and try really hard to play DayZ again.

Avoid players whose intentions you are unsure of. Make contact in ways other than physically exposing yourself to injury. Gather basic survival supplies, weapons and ammunition quietly in a group you can trust before trying to engage other players. Move quickly and quietly from cover point to cover point. Try to be aware of your surroundings at all times to call incoming player and zombie targets to your friends. Move to meet and then work in a group with at least one other person. If you do not know someone personally whom you can convince to play, try logging in to the teamspeak servers that many, many servers offer free of charge and finding someone there. No, you cannot be sure they will treat you fairly - but it's a much better bet than just randomly stumbling into people in the game. Learn the map and learn how to use the tools to find your way around the map so you can move quickly from one area to the next and effectively meet up with other players based on landmarks, direction, etc. A useful tip is that running 100m takes 20s and the smallest grid lines on the in-game map are 100m apart. So 2 blocks on the map = 40s, 3 is a minute, and so on. Use this to gauge where you are. Travel quietly. Scout ahead before you move. Listen carefully for gunfire. Be vigilant above all things.

Do these things. Do these few simple things. Practice them and when you make mistakes learn from those mistakes and try again.

When you've done all this and still find the game to be frustrating, THEN you may return and start demanding sweeping game design and balance changes.

But as long as you're going to bound down the beach like a kid's birthday clown then please, for the sake of the forums and the future of this game, just shut up and click respawn.

[/quote']

I am not playing die hard socom special ops here, as I said, i just spawned and direct chat only has a 20m range. Also ; TLDR

if you want something changed' date=' I would suggest going to the suggestions forum and writing up a comprehensive post detailing:

-what you want

-why it benefits the gameplay experience

-why it is an improvement over the current system

-possible bias and appropriate compensation

saying "ITS BAD BECAUSE IT IS" does nothing to convince anyone you are correct or that your argument has merit, and does not consider rocket's, nor anyone else's, opinions and reasonings on the subject.

[/quote']

Where did I say "ITS BAD BECAUSE" I don't nessecarily want something changed as much as I want to discuss dayz hence why I posted this under dayz discussion.

Personally I think some kind of group skin that could indicate you as friendly would be a good thing. Perhaps an NPC group like (for lack of imagination) The NCR that you could only join and continue to be a part of with a very low NCR member murder count.

Of course this wouldnt help noobs like me straight from the beach :)

I am not playing die hard socom special ops here' date=' as I said, i just spawned and direct chat only has a 20m range.

[/quote']

So based on the fact that you believe having just spawned is justification for playing in a completely reckless and careless manner, you believe it is necessary that rocket alter the game design fundamentally so that you are able to do so more safely?

That's your proposal? Just so we're clear? He is on the hook for compensating for the fact that you are too fucking lazy to treat your survivor with a modicum of respect and attempt to, you know, survive, like the name says? Hour 1 or Hour 50, treat your survivor as such. Play the game to survive or don't come crying when you die.

You throw your life away like tissue paper you just blew your nose in, and you want rocket to fundamentally change the way the game works in response?

People wonder why the tone of conversations on this forum go south so quickly. It's honestly because people like you exist in this world and don't sit for one motherfucking second and think about how asinine their mental diarrhea is before splooshing it out all over everyone.

And I love how you have the gall to make a video. Like, Ooo, look at me, I'm an investigative journalist exposing the evils of DayZ. Up next: Man runs down beach like Baywatch lifeguard, shocked at bolt in brain.

I just spawned' date=' it really didnt matter. I always play friendly in case a person wants to team up. Direct chat (text) only has a 20m range.

[/quote']

I'm sick of this excuse. Friendly does not mean "be a fucking moron." What you really mean to say is "whatever I'll just respawn anyway," which is what PvE players are always complaining PvP players do (play "suicidal" b/c whatever they'll just respawn anyway)

dude, 9 times out of 10 crossbow users are bandits

I am not playing die hard socom special ops here' date=' as I said, i just spawned and direct chat only has a 20m range.

[/quote']

So based on the fact that you believe having just spawned is justification for playing in a completely reckless and careless manner, you believe it is necessary that rocket alter the game design fundamentally so that you are able to do so more safely?

That's your proposal? Just so we're clear? He is on the hook for compensating for the fact that you are too fucking lazy to treat your survivor with a modicum of respect and attempt to, you know, survive, like the name says? Hour 1 or Hour 50, treat your survivor as such. Play the game to survive or don't come crying when you die.

You throw your life away like tissue paper you just blew your nose in, and you want rocket to fundamentally change the way the game works in response?

People wonder why the tone of conversations on this forum go south so quickly. It's honestly because people like you exist in this world and don't sit for one motherfucking second and think about how asinine their mental diarrhea is before splooshing it out all over everyone.

And I love how you have the gall to make a video. Like, Ooo, look at me, I'm an investigative journalist exposing the evils of DayZ. Up next: Man runs down beach like Baywatch lifeguard, shocked at bolt in brain.

:( Why are you so hostile? I have been playing dayz since 1.7 and I know how to play correctly. I've been killed by players 100s of times. I made this video before I ever thought of making this thread. Please stop with the personal attacks.

I just spawned' date=' it really didnt matter. I always play friendly in case a person wants to team up. Direct chat (text) only has a 20m range.

[/quote']

I'm sick of this excuse. Friendly does not mean "be a fucking moron." What you really mean to say is "whatever I'll just respawn anyway," which is what PvE players are always complaining PvP players do (play "suicidal" b/c whatever they'll just respawn anyway)

You misunderstand me. What Im saying is im not trying to survive. If I wanted to survive I would hve headed inland and gathered weapons and supplies away from towns. Who would run straight into a person with a crossbow? Anyone that plays knows its an instant death sentence.

[/quote']

its a sandbox...you can play suicidal or tactful, its up to you.

You misunderstand me. What Im saying is im not trying to survive. If I wanted to survive I would hve headed inland and gathered weapons and supplies away from towns. Who would run straight into a person with a crossbow? Anyone that plays knows its an instant death sentence.

So what are you trying to prove then? Is this a demonstration of what not to do?

bandit skins are necessary.

im not trying to survive.

:( Why are you so hostile?

Okay. I'll pause the personal attacks and calmly explain why I am being hostile. Read the three quotes above, in sequence, and think momentarily about what they say.

You posted a video in which, by your own admission, you are not trying to survive. However, based on the fact of your death, you make a forum post claiming it is "necessary" that the design of the game be fundamentally altered in such a way as to permit you to act in this way with impunity, knowing ahead of time whether the person in the video is going to act in the way that they do.

It's like trying to play basketball with a bowling ball and then going to the head of the NBA and saying "You need to make the hoops shorter and the floor should be made of rubber."

Like, okay, we could do that. We could. Definitely. But, instead, why don't you try actually playing the game in a manner consistent with its intent and then we will discuss whether or not you feel those alterations are appropriate?

Do you see how the situations are analogous? And why, having read your thread headline and then watched your movie that I, as someone who is so in love with this game and so afraid that people like you with your incessant demands for asinine changes might spoil it before it has a chance to blossom, might get a little hostile and perhaps tell you where you can stuff your little video?

I apologize for being harsh. But, you deserved it. :)

So what are you trying to prove then? Is this a demonstration of what not to do?

it's a demonstration of how, you cant form a group because it is a deathmatch. Player to player interaction = death

it's a demonstration of how' date=' you cant form a group because it is a deathmatch. Player to player interaction = death

[/quote']

What, because a guy with a crossbow who you didn't appear to talk to at all shot you when you ran past him in a straight line?

Horseshit.

bandit skins are necessary.

im not trying to survive.

:( Why are you so hostile?

Okay. I'll pause the personal attacks and calmly explain why I am being hostile. Read the three quotes above' date=' in sequence, and think momentarily about what they say.

You posted a video in which, by your own admission, you are not trying to survive. However, based on the fact of your death, you make a forum post claiming it is "necessary" that the design of the game be fundamentally altered in such a way as to permit you to act in this way with impunity, knowing ahead of time whether the person in the video is going to act in the way that they do.

It's like trying to play basketball with a bowling ball and then going to the head of the NBA and saying "You need to make the hoops shorter and the floor should be made of rubber."

Like, okay, we could do that. We could. Definitely. But, instead, why don't you try actually playing the game in a manner consistent with its intent and then we will discuss whether or not you feel those alterations are appropriate?

Do you see how the situations are analogous? And why, having read your thread headline and then watched your movie that I, as someone who is so in love with this game and so afraid that people like you with your incessant demands for asinine changes might spoil it before it has a chance to blossom, might get a little hostile and perhaps tell you where you can stuff your little video?

I apologize for being harsh. But, you deserved it. :)

[/quote']

I just think bandit skins would improve the game for all sides. I enjoyed it pre 1.7 and thought it was perfect. I feel like it eliminates all player contact, you still get killed walking up to someone with no weapon. Maybe this just isnt that type of game. I see your point.

inb4 carebear

it's a demonstration of how' date=' you cant form a group because it is a deathmatch. Player to player interaction = death

[/quote']

What, because a guy with a crossbow who you didn't appear to talk to at all shot you when you ran past him in a straight line?

Horseshit.

I didn't communicate with him, I'm just suprised, even after a month of dayz, that people are that ruthless in the game.

[/quote']

This really isn't true at all though. On two separate occasions I have gotten groups of 6+ people together, because all I did was run around towns saying "Friendly? I found this broken down bus over here wanna help me fix it up?" Group goes from 2, to 3, to 5, to 8, ect. and we all have a blast. Someone finds an awesome gun in the group? It doesn't suddenly turn into a last man standing to see who gets the gear.

Even when I don't have some goal like that and I'm just like "Friendly?" I don't get shot at often. If they don't respond I assume hostile. If they do, well, I've never had anyone lie to me yet, maybe I'm just lucky.

If I just ran at someone like you did without stating my intentions? I'd expect to get shot too, whether the guy was a bandit or not. Hell, if I saw some dude running straight at me without stating his intentions like you did, I would shoot him down in a heartbeat. Because whoever is doing that is either unfriendly or really stupid.

Jeez stop badgering the guy already. This is a sandbox game right?

People are allowed to play how they want right?

This is an alpha right?

We are testers right?

We are on a forum right now right?

We are allowed to state our opinions and make suggestions right?

Ok well then back off adolph and let the man give his opinion.

Obviously Rocket agrees that there is a deathmatch problem or he wouldn't have implemented any type of humanity system in the first place.

This guy was just giving his opinion on a solution other than a 20 m heartbeat.

Please try not crucify him.

Obviously Rocket agrees that there is a deathmatch problem or he wouldn't have implemented any type of humanity system in the first place.

:dodgy:

[/quote']

This really isn't true at all though. On two separate occasions I have gotten groups of 6+ people together, because all I did was run around towns saying "Friendly? I found this broken down bus over here wanna help me fix it up?" Group goes from 2, to 3, to 5, to 8, ect. and we all have a blast. Someone finds an awesome gun in the group? It doesn't suddenly turn into a last man standing to see who gets the gear.

Even when I don't have some goal like that and I'm just like "Friendly?" I don't get shot at often. If they don't respond I assume hostile. If they do, well, I've never had anyone lie to me yet, maybe I'm just lucky.

If I just ran at someone like you did without stating my intentions? I'd expect to get shot too, whether the guy was a bandit or not. Hell, if I saw some dude running straight at me without stating his intentions like you did, I would shoot him down in a heartbeat. Because whoever is doing that is either unfriendly or really stupid.

It sounds like you are talking about back when side chat was enabled. Ive found groups via that method too, but Now that direct chat is the only option, you have to get nearly within melee range to communicate via text. Was this experience using direct chat?

It wasn't side chat. This was all direct communication. I walked up to people, said "Friendly?" and struck up a conversation. I've come across people with no weapons after I've found some gear, and lead them to some extra weapons. If they're intentions are unclear I part ways before I'm in any danger. Most of the time though we stick together and go do whatever.

I've come across people better decked out than me that I could just pop and loot. Instead, I just open up direct comm and state my intentions. If they want me to leave or seem like they'll be hostile, I get out. Otherwise, it's not so hard to get a group going if you actually try.

Of course there will be exceptions. Some people play DayZ for all the killings. But from my personal experience it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe I just get lucky though.

EDIT: I should also point out I generally use voice comm, I rarely type to people. I only type when I either don't get a response, or they may not be able to hear me for whatever reason. It has never failed me. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that text was 40m, and voice was 80m, getting quieter the further out you are?

You're using this as evidence to have bandit skins? Seriously?

You could of told easily if you would've just stopped and tried to listen for heart beats, or if you just ran away. Running away would've been the easier simpler idea.

Let's get back to the discussion of why bandit skins were removed in the first place, shall we?

What it looks like is Rocket wants this to basically be a "zombie apocalypse simulator" and wants full realism. In this case, it's not realistic for you to tell someone's personality just because they wear a certain outfit.