alleycat

The game needs nametags

no tactic wallhack magic eyes guys have 3rd person :|

anti navigate bitches getting soon maybe gps :(

fear of dark babys have gamma exploit and maybe one day NVG (I hope never) :(

now mr 'I cant remember if tony was wear red helmet' idiots wanting name tag immersion break extra wallhack pussy name tag bullshit? :o

why BIS don't just buy hack maker company and include free with game :huh:

You never fail to make me smile, brother.

I think the integral part is when you meet up with your friends you describe how you look - what clothes are you wearing and what part of area you are. Srsly this what makes the game. Describing yourself to your friends by movement or by color of your jacket etc. not by checking the screen and seeing exactly where someone is. Even to propose something like this is retarded.

• Like 2

No, for the love of pizza rolls, no thank you. If it was like super super close like 5m? Then ok that's fine. :)

..just as in RL where their name floats above peoples heads?

Aerrrhhmmm i mean:

NO!

You beat me to it.  Also I lol'd.

Please God no.....Nameplates in the Mod were a complete joke

You merely aimed your cursor along a treeline until a name popped up and then you fired.

In the mod nametags were occasionally nice because there were very limited skins. Everyone literally looked like everyone else. This is why other mods of the mod tended to add a bunch of different skins to the mix and once we were playing those we tended to not care about anything like nametags again. Even so it was nice that you could tag people in Epoch because others could use the same skins. In the Standalone, however, unless you are all wearing EXACTLY the same thing you can often tell friend from foe and each other apart. If not it can be as simple as changing one little thing to make yourself more obvious to friendlies. The trade-off is that then you become more easily identifiable to foes as well. 

Nametags at less than 5 meters wouldn't be a huge deal, but it would be worthless as identifiers to stop friendly fire because most firearm combats do not take place at 5m or less. So the OP is missing the point that his desired system does nothing to deal with the points he is giving as reasons for it such as not shooting the guy you met 20 minutes ago and were friendly with because you can identify him... yeah at spitting range which won't happen if you both have guns, no one gets that close without already trusting the person. So you are back to Voice to identify them as friendly which means the net effect of this change would be zilch and thus make it worthless to add. 

Nametags that appear further way are just right  out. 10m is pushing it because I have literally hidden from someone 10m away and waited for them to pass through and I don't want a casual cursor scan to pop up my name even if it is in a corner. 

Please God no.....Nameplates in the Mod were a complete joke

You merely aimed your cursor along a treeline until a name popped up and then you fired.

Perhaps if you are within 5m of someone and directly looking at their face....

OP stated that it should happen if you're aiming at someone 10m from you.

Oh hell no, boy. This was one of the biggest immersion breakers in the mod and like others said, it made it completely pointless to move in treelines etc as one would always see your nametag. Having nametags on 10-20m is pointless too because by then you already have voice/direct text chat. Besides, if youre playing with friends youll well be able to remember wtf they look like unless you got the memory of a goldfish. So yeah, no. Just no.

I'm glad to see a good number of people shutting down ridiculous threads like this.  They will continue to pop up.  We just need to continue to say how ridiculous things like this are.

Oh hell no, boy. This was one of the biggest immersion breakers in the mod and like others said, it made it completely pointless to move in treelines etc as one would always see your nametag. Having nametags on 10-20m is pointless too because by then you already have voice/direct text chat. Besides, if youre playing with friends youll well be able to remember wtf they look like unless you got the memory of a goldfish. So yeah, no. Just no.

1. Make it necessary to have Line of Sight.

2. Maybe I don't want to alert the guy by talking to him. I just want to know if I know this guy or not and if so his name. If I know somebody and we are on friendly terms I can address him via direct chat with name and he might not kill shoot me out of surprise.

Arma has several mechanics trying to simulate real life capabilities which are simply not there in a virtual world. Simulating recognizing a person would be no different if done correctly.

I see a lot of people have issues with reading comprehension.

Me: "nametag within 10m if you look at their face in the lower right corner of screen + smooth faded for less obtrusion."

Person that fails to comprehen what I wrote: "FUCK NO NO FLOATING NAMES ABOVE HEAD THAT ENABLE SPOTTING PEOPLE IN TREELINES ON HORIZON"

Anyway, I think this suggestion is being considered. Look at the latest patch notes:

New:

- Editable character name in main menu