Frell

Reduce triangle counts in cities

I don't care iggy me thats fine. You all are compair this to Battlefield much smaller maps and just faster pace game type. You all play this game for the survivalness of the game and bigger maps to hide tents and stuff on. With the size and rendering distance of the map and game it's going to come with some FPS lose there will be no way to stop that. ~Pager

You're misunderstanding us

• Like 1

I expected this from the start and told people so they don't get their hopes up. Its a shame its semi-confirmed to be a core issue.

Surely the money coming in from DayZ can make Bohemia afford to try and speed it up?

Dont take what I say as any form of confirmation. Its opinion only.

This subject has been ongoing since at least A1, perhaps OFP.

rgds

LoK

• Like 2

What is there to misunderstand you want better frame rates in cities but you don't want all the stuff to spawn in houses and you show on your pic that you updated since the starting of this cars that are on the map (Wrecks) these are good cover and hiding spots. What did I miss? All this stuff make this game what DayZ is to be ~Pager

Edited by Pager

Lol I started but....why bother.

OT: I have a bit of hope in general, the game seems utilize all 8 of my 8350 cores fairly well. Im definitely not as cpu limited. Honestly a few more fps id probably accept, if I could keep 30 min in towns that'd be awesome. But I'm guessing optimization will be last on their list of things to do, certainly after more zeds and such. Especially if they want to try and circumvent core aspects of the engine, it will be easier to isolate instability. The real virtuality engine never seemed to be able to handle a mod like dayz. Im hoping they have a bit more leeway with a hybrid engine.   

What is there to misunderstand you want better frame rates in cities but you don't want all the stuff to spawn in houses and you show on your pic that you updated since the starting of this cars that are on the map (Wrecks) these are good cover and hiding spots. What did I miss? All this stuff make this game what DayZ is to be ~Pager

Maybe I will bother, he isnt saying why are the cars being rendered (im pretty sure) but that the look like they dont have a lod texture or look to good from a distance, I cant tell from the screenshot. Also he's not saying that he doesnt want it to spawn he saying he doesnt know if its being rendered, theres a difference between the server spawning an item and your GPU rendering even though you cant see it. 

The houses have bigger texture cars not some much so yes they look kinda sloppy and this is still ALPHA not the full release. ~Pager

wtf? the maps are not rendered completly when you look in one direction. The game just renderes what you can actually see. So what is the point in the size of the map when you only render an area with the size of an Battlefield-Map?

one thing is this game pretty much loads the whole map into memory. when you're teleported over long distances in the mod (something I unfortunately experienced because of hackers), it is instantaneous. almost every other open-world game with a fast travel option requires a loading screen for that sort of thing

Surely the money coming in from DayZ can make Bohemia afford to try and speed it up?

this is fundamental issue they've been dealing with for awhile. I don't think any amount of money will solve it

inb4deanssued,  nah I agree it is poor and it has been known about since the mod was released what 2 years ago? Think how much has been made from the release of the SA, they should hire some more experienced developers or whatever to help dean and his team on polishing the game

This Game is base off what ppl are calling Arma 2.5 a mix or A2 and A3 if you look it still using the PBO file system and this is still the Alpha give it time I sure they will look at all these complaints and come out with something better in the Beta and not 6 days into the Alpha. ~Pager

Wow, you really are missing the point here. They aren't saying the team should remove those items. There is a difference between spawning an item, and rendering it. An item can still exist without your game client having to graphically render said item ALL THE TIME. Have you any idea what rendering means?

Also, I don't see why you sign every post. We can see who you are already.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 2

they should hire some more experienced developers...

there's a way to have this conversation without insulting anyone. he's working with the people that wrote the engine

The houses have bigger texture cars not some much so yes they look kinda sloppy and this is still ALPHA not the full release. ~Pager

What on earth are you talking about ~ Frell

there's a way to have this conversation without insulting anyone. he's working with the people that wrote the engine

Bohemia has a terrible track record with performance, at this point it isn't insulting because its technically true. They can make games but when it comes to engine development they've been called incompetent a few times.

Edited by Frell

Oh I don't know generating and image maybe lol joke. Do I think they could come up with a better spawning system sure.. Maybe have loot spawning for a player but what if you do that and there are several players in the same town how will that affect things?

Welp I tried...*facepalm*

Edit: Alright to avoid being a dick (and lack of anything else to do) I was answering your question, nothing more nothing less, I dont expect it to be optimized, it released a few days ago. I even mentioned I was pleased at the distance they've come in cpu utilization. Also what you dont seem to be getting is the difference between an item being spawned and an item being rendered, there is an enormous difference. A given frame is rendered in a number of passes and what is on that frame is determined by the engine/API. In a normal well optomizied game pixels that are behind other pixels (to put it simply) are not rendered on screen, in a process called occlusion culling. The loot spawn is handled server side, so it has nothing to do with whether the item is there or not for you or other players.  

Edited by Davschall
  • Like 2

Oh I don't know generating and image maybe lol joke. Do I think they could come up with a better spawning system sure.. Maybe have loot spawning for a player but what if you do that and there are several players in the same town how will that affect things?

:facepalm:

Haha, you beat me to it.

Pager, we aren't talking about spawning items at all. We are discussing ways of cleaning up the rendering load to give players better framerates. So say your 100 m away from a town. Why does your client need to draw all the loot inside those buildings? It could just wait to render them until you enter the house. That way, all those polygons and lighting aren't putting load on your GPU.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Rendering != spawning

one thing is this game pretty much loads the whole map into memory. when you're teleported over long distances in the mod (something I unfortunately experienced because of hackers), it is instantaneous. almost every other open-world game with a fast travel option requires a loading screen for that sort of thing

nope. the RV engine does streaming from disk for that kind of things.

"nope" what?

my point is this engine handles these things differently from most other games (that people are thinking of). I think most of those 'open-world' games divide the map up into 'cells'. you can typically move from cell to cell without a loading screen, but long distance travel requires a loading screen. RV seems to do these things instantaneously regardless of distance

• Like 1

wat

Edited by Frell

wat

Im a little confused too, while I dont think the entire map would fit in the memory (well not enough to make travel instantaneous). There is certainly nothing instantaneous about streaming from the hard disk. Although I have heard that the RVE doesn't utilize your ram as well as it should. OFC I dont actually know what size the map is, and I cant really find any info on the RVE, so its all conjecture from me. Actually does anyone have any web pages or anything explaining the features and such of the Real Virtuality engine? Wiki's no help, neither is google. Got a few things but nothing in depth and nothing I didnt already know. 

Edited by Davschall

Im a little confused too, while I dont think the entire map would fit in the memory (well not enough to make travel instantaneous). There is certainly nothing instantaneous about streaming from the hard disk. Although I have heard that the RVE doesn't utilize your ram as well as it should. OFC I dont actually know what size the map is, and I cant really find any info on the RVE, so its all conjecture from me. Actually does anyone have any web pages or anything explaining the features and such of the Real Virtuality engine? Wiki's no help, neither is google. Got a few things but nothing in depth and nothing I didnt already know. 

Was the RV engine created by bohemia?

Was the RV engine created by bohemia?

Yes, or from what I can tell. I found a few post of people asking to use their engine to create an indie game. On the BI forums. They messaged some of the devs so id say yea.

Yes, or from what I can tell. I found a few post of people asking to use their engine to create an indie game. On the BI forums. They messaged some of the devs so id say yea.

Weird, I felt bad for Dean since he's stuck with the engine. It most likely holds him back.

• Like 1