Sign in to follow this  
Pfhreak

Where are the tools for mapping?

I'm interested in building a map based on the San Juan islands in the Pacific Northwest. The PNW shares a lot of the same biome as Chernarus, with a similar population density. Plus, I'm from the Seattle area, and I think it would be incredible to play close to home.

I've got some experience with other mapping tools, primarily Hammer, but I can't seem to find any information on how to build a custom map for DayZ.

I understand it is alpha, and getting all the DayZ specific entities in the game would be a giant headache because they change so frequently, but it would be nice to work on the basic map elements -- the heightmap, texturing, and basic structures laid out. 

Can I get the mapping tools for ArmA II or ArmA III and expect to be able to import the result into DayZ in the future?

The game isn't even done yet. How do you expect to make a comprehensive, fully integrated map when many of the assets that will be in the final game don't even exist yet? Modding will not be allowed until later, when the build is more solid and they know how they want to allow it.

The mapping process has a number of steps, including learning the tools, laying things out, texturing them, etc. All those things are very time consuming and could be done in parallel with the game's development. As the game gets closer to completion, then we can work on adding the various DayZ specific things. 

I'm having trouble getting any information on this. Nothing from twitter, nothing from reddit, nothing from these forums. Is there really no information out there on how to get started?

Your question has already been answerd, The answer is DayZ Devs will not release any kind of server/modding tools/programs/files to the public until we are in a more stable build.

The mapping process has a number of steps, including learning the tools, laying things out, texturing them, etc. All those things are very time consuming and could be done in parallel with the game's development. As the game gets closer to completion, then we can work on adding the various DayZ specific things. 

How about trying to make a map for arma 2/3 if you are desperate to get going right now this second, would be the best place to learn the process for how to layout the map. Other than that SalamanderAnder is spot on, it ain't coming until the game is further down the development process.