Sign in to follow this  
Ssgt_Perez

Shoot First, Wonder Later?

I'm a new player, barely been playing for a few days but so far I've been able to establish myself pretty well in my last few lives.

My 2nd and 3rd most recent deaths were due to glitches, no complaints, its alpha.

My most recent death were from my first real player interaction. Two new completely different players happened upon me at different times while I was scrounging , I was armed with a lee enfield and .45 revolver, they both had nothing.

At first I was hesitant to share but instead of killing them or shooing them off I let them have at the items I didn't want or need.

But both of them turned against me as soon as they could. The first one just simply started firing on me and I turned around and killed him quickly.

The second one left to find a pistol then followed me as I moved on to do my own thing, as soon as he got close enough to me he jumped me, I managed to kill this one as well but there were zombies nearby that finished me off as my legs were broke from that gunfight.

So I respawned, much more distrusting and a little disheartened because I was hoping to help others out.

This life I just shoot every new person I see because even if I do help them I get nothing back. I just risk my current gear.

(TLDR; Can't trust or aid anyone, game forces you to just shoot whoever in the head.)

(TLDR; Can't trust or aid anyone' date=' game forces you to just shoot whoever in the head.)

[/quote']

The trust thing can really go both ways, as far as I understand currently its still lots of shoot first, ask later situations happening, but I personally have experienced that it can be otherwise.

Remember - the game makes you extremely paranoid and if someone is worth killing for better items, then chances are this person will die.

Approach other players with extreme caution, also as usual in ARMA II always observe and then decide. Patience goes a long way.

Your experience mirrors my own, and many others have said similar. Unfortunately, since bandit skins have been removed its a hell of a lot easier to just kill on sight everybody you see. Death match with a side dish of zombies. Rocket is working on a solution though, hence the introduction of the heat beat thing.

Well the first time i played on dayz, i found a ak with 3 mags. and knife, and lots of other usefull things. then i came across someone running from a horde and i helped him, but he fell down so i started to help him. and right after he shot me in the leg. and i had no choice just to shot back. after that my trust to other players has been lowered. Kill on sight :(.

Yah, I think you should have some sort of penalties for killing people. Basically if you roam around killing.

Right now I dislike going into the game without a friend I can communicate with through teamspeak. When there are two of us it's usually easier to get back at these guys. However there were countless times when I was just shot. Last time I was doing pretty well. Got a Lee Enfield, revolver with 3 mags each, 2 drinking flasks. Only thing lacking was food. And while I was trying to make my way out of a village through zombies while crawling, someone was doing the wait and observe thing. Their decision upon a few seconds of observation of me crawling AWAY from them? Shoot me in the back.

I tend to carefully look at other people approach me and I always aim at them and am ready to fire as soon as they look at me. But now I believe since there is no other way it will be more or less shoot on sight.

It's shoot on sight. Always will be. -- The greatest threat in this mod is other players.

Your only hopes to form a solid group are on Ventrilo, Mumble, Roger Wilco, in game voice, some sort of voice communication and go from there. Anyone whom is not on your voice chat, no matter how harmless they look are a serious threat to you and your friends provided your trying to survive as long as possible.

That is the sad fact of this mod, the sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. We don't purposely hunt people as many others do, were just trying to survive as long as possible, which means eliminating threats as they are presented.

Chances are what will end our 10 day run is another player or players.

I tend to leave unarmed players alone. By the time they find a gun, I'll probably be long gone, anyway. Armed players, however, are a much different story. I attempt to avoid shooting on sight as much as possible, even if they have gear worth taking. I find that having a teammate helps you to survive far better than having a slightly bigger gun. 99% of the time I notice others before they notice me, so I like to give 'em a quick scare through direct chat, let them know that, if they make a wrong move, they're dead. This usually works, and I then let them know that I'm willing to cooperate if they are, etc.

Not everyone is a bandit. Yesterday I was starving, scrounging through a town and saw another player. I said "friendly" over direct com and he responded the same. I asked if he had some beans and if he wanted to trade goods. He dropped 2 cans of beans free of charge and then left.

You can kind of tell how people are posturing as to whether or not there will be trouble.

more than a few times has someone said friendly only to get a sure kill on you...to have you drop your guard. Soon as you take your aim off someone..you will be shot.

I dont kill on sight..I try to move away. If they are close..I shoot on sight.

Saying where you are..is foolish. (Im coming into Cherno Church..dont shoot)

Saying where someone else is ignorant. (you in firehouse are you friendly?) Ill kill you if I get the chance for saying that.

I only trust my guildmates..anyone else stay away..my beans..mine

One time, paranoia just got the best of me, 2 people came up the stairs armed and didn't say anything so I'm just like "I'm not dieing this time" I shot one in the head and the other went down the stairs.

He popped his head up and I got a few bullets in his skull.

I got some beans but that's not what I shot for....

CoolCat

more than a few times has someone said friendly only to get a sure kill on you...to have you drop your guard. Soon as you take your aim off someone..you will be shot.

I dont kill on sight..I try to move away. If they are close..I shoot on sight.

Saying where you are..is foolish. (Im coming into Cherno Church..dont shoot)

Saying where someone else is ignorant. (you in firehouse are you friendly?) Ill kill you if I get the chance for saying that.

I only trust my guildmates..anyone else stay away..my beans..mine

"Friendly" is the only thing possible to say. People aren't exactly going to identify themselves as bandits, even if they are one.

Can aways remember the first time i ran into a bandit (when there were bandit skins) he was getting pursued by a train of Zs about a mile long, I was in a barn and he headed straight towards me. At this time i'm thinking to myself fuck this and aim shooting at the Zs, the bandit runs up the stairs and starts taken out some Zs aswel.... When all the Zs are down i realized i'm out of ammo, thinking that the worst is about to happen?? We chat in the side-chat he give me some ammo, move out together raid some towns/deerstands then go or separate ways..........(Cant see much of this kind of thing occurring now) unless he unloads the ammo into your head...:huh:

So i still try and not shoot-first "but the way this mod is going" cant see holding my trigger finger off for much longer....