Sign in to follow this  
VILenin

Alcohol tincture and sick?

It took me seven cans of food. Food seems to be similar to water in that it takes a LOT to top it off but maintaining it after that point is fairly easy.

Also, Mind Killer's explanation matches my experience exactly.

By a lot, you really mean "A LOT."

At least you can replenish by consuming cans of food whereas in the the mod you had to eat cooked meat to replenish blood.

I dont have sick on my screen but i dont know why i just use alcohol for a clean wounds. Then i see a message something like "My wounds hurt less" but in my character info showed "Sick" i dont know what that mean and my character never make a some kind of sounds.

After like 7 min of playing i see a message "My wounds look cleaner" and after again like +- 7 min i see a green message "My wounds are cleaned". And satus "Sick" disappeared so i guess this is a bug. 

the sick icon isnt a bug, but the icon not showing until you use alcohol i think is a bug. if you get infected by a zombie and use alcohol to clean your wounds you get the sick icon to appear like it should have appeared when you first got hit, and then you get the messages telling you your wounds are cleaner/cleaned, when your wounds are fully cleaned you can begin healing naturally from a full stomach, but untill they are fully cleaned you cannot heal naturally. when your wounds are cleaned fully, and you arent at full blood, you get an icon saying "healing" in the inventory screen, then when you are full blood, you get an icon that says "healthy" in the inventory screen, though unfortunently if you get hit again and become infected it will still say "healthy" because its bugged and doesnt show you're sick till you use alcohol. Source: Happened to me, so I thought I'd share it.

I am no longer convinced of this. I died, spawned, ate like a retard, got the "healthy" status, never got hit or shot at even once, use the tincture, and bam. There goes my healthy status and hello sick status. After it wore off I was "healthy" again. I used the alcohol again immediately afterwards, without eating or getting damaged in the meantime (so it couldn't have been non-pristine food making me sick), and I got sick again.

Lesson learned: Alcohol, and possibly disinfectant will make you sick. 

I have not yet played the SA, but did a bit of research.

Supposedly, using antibiotics/charcoal tablets/tinctures set your status to sick. Some people report it as a glitch. Either you're actually sick and the game doesn't update your status, or you're actually fine and the medicines set your status to "Sick" for some reason.

From what I've read, you ONLY need the medicines if you're "Actually" sick. You'll get messages like "My stomach is cramping!" "My wounds itch." or "My wounds are badly infected!" etc. That is supposedly when you actually need medicine.

Edited by Toybasher

I have used Alcohol Tincture on 2 different occasions to bring myself back from being sick. I always get "My wounds look cleaner" "My wounds hurt less"

If I am sick I look for a hospital and try to get painkillers and antibiotics. The alcohol tincture seems to be a bit more rare and I have found those in houses more than hospitals.

In terms of the "healthy" indicator and how food works, this video is extremely helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwNgTnj9hBE

Apparently, being at high enough energy (Hunger) and water levels triggers two levels of regeneration, appearently the second one triggers the "Healing" indicator, and reaching full health while at this regeneration level triggers the "Healthy" status.

Keep in mind, the "My stomach feels stuffed" etc is from the "Stomach" stat, and has nothing to do with the energy (hunger) stat. This causes a bit of confusion. Also, you spawn dehydrated, and you can hold quite a bit of water in your body. You can hold MASSIVE amounts of "energy" too. I've seen a few threads about people complaining about the thirst timer. This is because they are not drinking enough. Unlike the mod, drinking only restores a small amount of water, instead of a complete re-fill. You need ALOT of food and water to start regeneration.

One last thing, messages such as "you feel tired" or "I feel like taking a nap" has NOTHING to do with sleeping, These messages indicate a low "Energy" stat. The energy stat is basically your hunger meter. Don't be confused by the vague messages. You need to eat if you see them.

Sorry if this post went a bit off topic, but the video provided is EXTREMELY useful for ANY dayZ SA player.

Edited by Toybasher
  • Like 1

Not sure if a bug, but the sick status is just how it works, I use it all the time, if I get wounded enough, I will apply the alcohol.

The way I see it is, while its killing the germs in your wounds, you are sick, just like in real life, when you are "sick", USUALLY it means your body is trying to fight off the virus, doesn't make a lot of sense if its the alcohol doing the work and not your body, but I just figured it was along those lines.

I just always apply it when I get hurt to the point that I bleed, so I apply bandage, then apply tincture, and make sure im full of food/water, I am usually running around with "healthy" status.

imho, there is no reason to use the alcohol unless you get:

i have infected wounds

I have itchy wounds

My wounds are infected

My wounds are seriously infected

My wounds are itchy

(wich i never had so far, doubt its working right at the moment)

http://orcz.com/DayZ_Standalone:_I_have_infected_wounds

as stated above, getting the "sick" after alcohol/antibiotica/charcoal makes sense, since its a foreign object u did to your body - after its processed the "sick" fade away, if not, your sick from somehting other, watch out for other status message/symptoms and treat yourself right:

http://orcz.com/Category:DayZ_Standalone_Symptoms

Edited by Guest

Happens here too, every time I or anybody I know uses alcohol to clean wounds I get a yellow "Sick" icon;

Eventually it says "My wounds are clean now" and the sickness disappears too.

imho, there is no reason to use the alcohol unless you get:

i have infected wounds

I have itchy wounds

My wounds are infected

My wounds are seriously infected

My wounds are itchy

(wich i never had so far, doubt its working right at the moment)

http://orcz.com/DayZ_Standalone:_I_have_infected_wounds

as stated above, getting the "sick" after alcohol/antibiotica/charcoal makes sense, since its a foreign object u did to your body - after its processed the "sick" fade away, if not, your sick from somehting other, watch out for other status message/symptoms and treat yourself right:

http://orcz.com/Category:DayZ_Standalone_Symptoms

This makes a lot of sense to me, so the fact the option "clean wounds" even exists, if you don't have infected wounds, is a bug, so the sick status would have been there if you had infected wounds, and then once the alcohol effects were finished it would remove the sickness, but right now it is "applying" that sickness state when you clean wounds while you don't have infected wounds.

I assume it is the same deal with antibiotics and such too.

You're character is considered sick until you're character is like "my wounds are clean now". 

CONFIRMED: you will appear sick after using tincture to clean wounds, but as stated (several times) above once you get the "your wounds are clean" message, you will no longer be sick. provided you take no additional damage or have anything happen that turns you sick normally. 

I'm guessing this is just a bug where your character slowly transitions from 100% sickness to 0% sickness even if you were at 0% sickness to begin with.

I had the same thing happen to me. cleaned wounds with it and then became sick. Unlike what everyone else saying about wounds getting cleaner and then it going away, I have played about another 10 hours on character and hes still sick. The only reason I think im still alive is the fact that I am keeping him healthy. I don't know if it actually makes me loose health but I don't want to find out. But ya I think its a bug and it wont go away.

I don't know if it actually makes me loose health but I don't want to find out.

Colors are the indicator for your blood. Blurryness is the indicator for health (if postprocessing is enabled). So if you have full colors and your screen isn't blurry you should be fine.

Strange, last I was sick from zombie attack I used the alcohol to clean my wounds regularly (every time I stopped) and about 20-30 minutes later I was no longer sick.

Edited by Hells High

The sick icon is an effect caused by the cleaning of your wounds, after awhile the sickness will go away and you will receive a little green message saying your wounds are clean, you will then regenerate health at a faster rate.

I have healed myself back from sick status 2 times now on the same toon, I just took vitamins, used the alcohol to clean the wounds, and camped a water well. Problem solved.