Sign in to follow this  
originalyellow

Suggestion: killing a player destroys at least half of their items.

I will admit up front, this would not be very realistic at all. The main reason that I strongly suggest they implement it is to greatly reduce KoS-ing by making it more enticing to hold players up instead. As it stands, even once they get to implementing ballistic damage on items while they are still being worn - solving the issue to a small degree, there is still very little incentive built into the actual mechanics of the game to not KoS other players if you think you can survive it. Another meaningful improvement that this could make is to encourage robbers to not take all of a players loot but just a portion of it, as the player would then have much less reason to not just yell "screw you!", run, and get killed, destroying half of their loot in the process.

So, consider that this would definitely make the game less realistic and more game-y, but I think the pros far outweigh that one con (the only one that I can think of); is this as fantastic of an idea as I think it is?

I will admit up front, this would not be very realistic at all. The main reason that I strongly suggest they implement it is to greatly reduce KoS-ing by making it more enticing to hold players up instead. As it stands, even once they get to implementing ballistic damage on items while they are still being worn - solving the issue to a small degree, there is still very little incentive built into the actual mechanics of the game to not KoS other players if you think you can survive it. Another meaningful improvement that this could make is to encourage robbers to not take all of a players loot but just a portion of it, as the player would then have much less reason to not just yell "screw you!", run, and get killed, destroying half of their loot in the process.

So, consider that this would definitely make the game less realistic and more game-y, but I think the pros far outweigh that one con (the only one that I can think of); is this as fantastic of an idea as I think it is?

Lost me at the first sentence.

If I shoot someone in the chest, they shouldn't magically break their gun, pants, helmet, and whatever is in their backpack.

If I shoot someone in the chest, they shouldn't magically break their gun, pants, helmet, and whatever is in their backpack.

I wholeheartedly agree. None of those things would happen in real life, and if they did in an otherwise realistic (except for the zombie part) game like DayZ, it could yank you right out of the immersive experience. But I am proposing that the pros outweigh the cons here. What do you think of that?

Edited by originalyellow

If you want to break kos mentality you need to give a reason to group. Put in a deep maintenance intensive epoch building system in that benefits from players form groups aka guilds in other games.

Edited by JohnM81

Keep it locational. I don't want to shoot someone in the chest and watch his helmet explode, it takes you right out of the experience.

• Like 1

Ever fallen on top of an expensive scope?   Ever dropped a 1911 on concrete?  I've done both... both things were badly damaged (my Zeiss shattered and my 1911 needed a new front site).  This is VERY realistic and something that should be looked at in my opinion.

Well, maybe more shots destroy more. that would encourage the use of civillian weapons like the mosin.

the problem is, the KOS'ers don't typically even care about the gear. they play the game ONLY to empty an entire magazine on fresh spawns outside kemenka.

I thought where you shoot someone would destroy that item? for example, if you shoot someone in the back, it ruins everything in their backpack? head will ruin helmet/hat? legs then any items in trousers?

Either way it doesn't work, someone came at me with spade, one hit in my front, shot him, everything in my backpack was 'ruined' 

If you want to break kos mentality you need to give a reason to group. Put in a deep maintenance intensive epoch building system in that benefits from players form groups aka guilds in other games.

This is an excellent idea as well. But to keep it simple and easy to implement, maybe just have a strong buff-like incentive for grouping like a one-time ability to revive other players. It may or may not be tied to some specific item, haven't thought about this too much. So the more players in your group, the more collective re-dos your group could have. In a game where the death state is so devastating this would be a very strong incentive to group up and then actually increase the size of your group instead of just playing with friends.

Regardless of the specific way the team decides to solve this problem, I think we can all agree that something needs to be done about incentives for friendlier conduct. Just something to make banditry and friendliness equally rewarding but in different ways.

Ever fallen on top of an expensive scope?   Ever dropped a 1911 on concrete?  I've done both... both things were badly damaged (my Zeiss shattered and my 1911 needed a new front site).  This is VERY realistic and something that should be looked at in my opinion.

it would have to be based on where the person was killed if they were standing on concrete or any type of stone flooring sure, but if your out in the woods or in a meadow or something then I think a gear would be just fine... but I see where your coming from metal things still can be broken in the right situations...