flashstep

Player Movement/Movement in General

I am new to DayZ, never played the mod but have followed the development of the SA since it was announced. I have played Counter-Strike since it's early days and player movement in that game is very fluid and needs to be as it is a competitive game so I am used to near perfect player movement. 

I understand this may not be a problem to some people but for someone like me, who has always enjoyed solid and fluid movement control, the movement in this game is really starting to frustrate me. I have messed with the settings and I don't have lag issues or frame rate problems, and yet, it feels like I am not in complete control of my character. I am enjoying this game so much and for an alpha I do believe it is in good condition but the movement is probably THE WORST I have ever experienced in any pre-release build and I have participated in many many beta/alpha games. This game has PvP so for me to not be able to reliably snap my crosshair to a spot where I heard a sound or to clear a room it is pretty annoying and has actually led to my death 2 times. I remember reading something about movement being server side? If this is true then it makes sense why movement is clunky and feels lagged or even sometimes like my input doesn't register in the game for a moment and then over compensating a moment later. I am also considering that the melee problems are tied to the same mechanic that causes movement to be so awkward, hopefully it is all just number tweaking and nothing major. I searched briefly for a dev's input on movement and didn't find any solid evidence that this is even on their radar, let alone a high priority to fix. I hope this gets enough attention though because I do believe it will turn many possible players away and would do the same to me if I hadn't followed the development of the game for so long and I wasn't on the HYPE train.

TLDR - I love the game but the movement is starting to wear on me, I hope this is a high priority for them and gets fixed sooner rather then later.

-Yes, I know it's alpha, that is why I am bringing this up.

The movement, while weird (you can't take "Baby steps"; tapping W gives you an awfully awkward lurch), is necessary to the experience the ArmA genre wants you to have.

What you are experiencing is Negative mouse acceleration which is the worst thing a game with fps controls could have.

The faster you move your mouse the slower it goes.

Alot of people don't understand what negative mouse acceleration is and just tie it to "mouse acceleration" and can be fixed by turning that off which is 100% false.

It's just a different kind of game than your standard twichy FPS. 

You can be very good at it as-is. Just accept that this is a different animal.

Alpha.. the delayed character movement is normal during any early access release.. servers are crowded, lots of people coming and going, bugs, crashes.. movement will get better I believe as bugs and server adjustments are made.

Alpha.. the delayed character movement is normal during any early access release.. servers are crowded, lots of people coming and going, bugs, crashes.. movement will get better I believe as bugs and server adjustments are made.

This isn't something to pin "alpha" on Especially since the original Dayz still has the same mouse issue.

I pretty much accepted that the programmers they have do not know how to solve the issue as its usually done through poor coding.

Negative mouse acceleration makes no sense you shouldnt slow down when turning high speeds.

If you still think its connection issues try moving your mouse when you lose connection. That rules out any server/client chatter you would assumew as the problem.

I have played Counter-Strike since it's early days and player movement in that game is very fluid and needs to be as it is a competitive game so I am used to near perfect player movement. 

No, you are not used to "near perfect" movement. What you're used to is completely unrealistic, fantasy-based movement as if your body is weightless and friction-less and your avatar is some kind of super-human killing machine capable of leaping in the air, spinning a 180 and accurately firing an assault rifle before hitting the ground.

Counterstrike, while a neat game, is not a combat simulator. It's player movement mechanics don't belong anywhere near DayZ.

I'm going to pick this thread. Seems like they're going to build a system around the negative mouse acceleration http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t3ycp/pending_update_rev_113759/ce46f1y?context=3

This could be good system if the movement and input were in a level of Arma 3. Now it feels very awful that's even step backwards from Arma 2 which horrible sometimes. I could play Arma 3 with negative mouse acceleration and I did that for some months without even noticing it. So the system needs to be pretty perfect for it to work.

I'm not against the dexterity system that's build around negative mouse acceleration and maybe some smoothing, actually I suggested something like that in Arma 3, because in that game the movement/animation foundation feels pretty solid, but it needs to be pretty perfect or it's a wasted effort. There's probably now some bad animation system combined with the negative mouse acceleration that the movement feels that awful? I just don't know that if the base with mouse acceleration (though we can't test that now) isn't solid then can the system ever even work with negative mouse acceleration?

Edited by St. Jimmy

It's not just the issue pertaining to mouse acceleration, the clunky movement of the Arma engine has always been a problem. If you think this feels realistic, you must be on something. I don't know about you guys, but in real life I have pretty precise control of the way my body moves. In DayZ (and ArmA for that matter) it feels more like I'm trying to coach an astronaut who's taking their first steps back on Earth.

Edited by Panic!

I am new to DayZ, never played the mod but have followed the development of the SA since it was announced. I have played Counter-Strike since it's early days and player movement in that game is very fluid and needs to be as it is a competitive game so I am used to near perfect player movement. 

I understand this may not be a problem to some people but for someone like me, who has always enjoyed solid and fluid movement control, the movement in this game is really starting to frustrate me. I have messed with the settings and I don't have lag issues or frame rate problems, and yet, it feels like I am not in complete control of my character. I am enjoying this game so much and for an alpha I do believe it is in good condition but the movement is probably THE WORST I have ever experienced in any pre-release build and I have participated in many many beta/alpha games. This game has PvP so for me to not be able to reliably snap my crosshair to a spot where I heard a sound or to clear a room it is pretty annoying and has actually led to my death 2 times. I remember reading something about movement being server side? If this is true then it makes sense why movement is clunky and feels lagged or even sometimes like my input doesn't register in the game for a moment and then over compensating a moment later. I am also considering that the melee problems are tied to the same mechanic that causes movement to be so awkward, hopefully it is all just number tweaking and nothing major. I searched briefly for a dev's input on movement and didn't find any solid evidence that this is even on their radar, let alone a high priority to fix. I hope this gets enough attention though because I do believe it will turn many possible players away and would do the same to me if I hadn't followed the development of the game for so long and I wasn't on the HYPE train.

TLDR - I love the game but the movement is starting to wear on me, I hope this is a high priority for them and gets fixed sooner rather then later.

-Yes, I know it's alpha, that is why I am bringing this up.

combat in ARMA and dayz is about rolling around inside trees and leaning in various directions.

the movement system feels more real to me than most other games, especially with the fatigue system and the reduced movement speed with a weapon pointed. or increased with weapon slung

the new animations are great.

No, you are not used to "near perfect" movement. What you're used to is completely unrealistic, fantasy-based movement as if your body is weightless and friction-less and your avatar is some kind of super-human killing machine capable of leaping in the air, spinning a 180 and accurately firing an assault rifle before hitting the ground.

Counterstrike, while a neat game, is not a combat simulator. It's player movement mechanics don't belong anywhere near DayZ.

Thats not what I meant, I understand not being able to move weightlessly in the game, I mean movement that makes sense... I did some editing to my config and changed some graphic and post processing settings and it helped a lot with the "lag" I experience in movement. So I guess it is a delay issue overall with the combination of this negative mouse accell which I am also getting used to. I dont think the movement is bad because I am new, you might think it's good because you are used to it though... I guarantee the problems I have with movement are not a "feature" and the delay, or lag in movement and actions is something that wasn't put in on purpose.

Again, I don't want an exact replica of CS movement I was using it's movement as an example, if you play it long enough you know exactly how far you will turn with a certain flick of your mouse or stroke of a key on your keyboard because it is consistent, that's what I want in DayZ, and after adjusting some settings improved it a little I am convinced now that it is just optimization issues.

Thanks for those of you that had legitimate responses to my concerns and to the fanboys; keep on fanboying I guess, I wasn't trying to attack your beloved game.

Edited by flashstep

The worst is you stop moving when changing weapons of stuff in your hand. For example you going around at night with a flashlight in your hand and agro a zombie. You then stop get beaten by that zed for a few seconds as you switch weapons instead of being able to as your moving.