joe_mcentire

smaller suggestions and feedback based on the Alpha so far - let's make a continuous list

i suggest we don't post here obvious bugs or lack of content due to the actual state of the game. However i'd like to create a little list with some minor or maybe even some bigger suggestions and feedback based on the things we have seen and experienced so far:

maybe i start with some examples:

• option to empty bottles/canteens (if no purification pills  but a fresh water sources are available)
  • loot takes damage if you shoot at it or hit it with a melee weapon (e.g. baseball bat hitting a on the ground lying handgun)
  • option to drink/eat continuously until whole content is depleted. drink from water pumps/wells until your stomach feels full

So, please tell me about smaller additions, feedback etc. based on the actual content and experiences so far!

edit:

ATTENTION, main idea for this thread:

evaluation of some mechanics and content we have so far in the game and giving of valuable feedback or further suggestions.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 4

Melee weapons get a little stronger maybe?  It seems like it takes a ridicules amount of hits to kill anything or anyone with most melee weapons.  Also crowbars need to be fixed.  It seems like I can't hit anything with them and neither can a few friends.  

• put loot in your hands and carry it in your hands, if there is no free slot in your inventory available. You would need to lay the item down to access other items in your inventory. (e.g.: carry mosin on back, hold M4A1 in your hands)

option - hotkey to drop items you currently hold in your hands

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 4

SINGLE PLAYER. Or any offline mode I hate it when I'm at school and I can't get on on my breaks. Please make a sing player or offline

i thought more about far smaller things that may be actually achievable over the course of a few updates. a sngle player mode would be huge suggestion and i guess we won't see one anyway.

my idea was e.g. to evaluate some mechanics we have so far in the game and give valuable feedback or further suggestions.

Edited by joe_mcentire

what dose ppl think about the whole sever hopping?

there isn't much he could do about that :(

• make first aid boxes on the walls of some buildings actually lootable

• Like 5

i thought more about far smaller things that may be actually achievable over the course of a few updates. a sngle player mode would be huge suggestion and i guess we won't see one anyway.

my idea was e.g. to evaluate some mechanics we have so far in the game and give valuable feedback or further suggestions.

Not a campaign, just an offline mode like it was with the DayZ mod, it's not that hard to implement.

• Like 1

I will try to keep it short...

- Hunger: drops too fast, in real life you don't need to eat 20 cans of food to be able to run around for a day, for water i would understand since we sweat and our bodies are mainly made of water but still lowering the hunger and thirst would be more realistic.

- "Some" melee weapons: like it was mentioned before, for example baseball bat: i had to strike a zombie more than 10 times in the head to kill it, with an axe i can 1 hit it.

- Blood type: it would be nice for those that have 0- (negative), to be able to share with all blood types, since it is kind of universal blood type ( i have it in real life) but the person with 0- can only get his type.

- Blood bags: Then again, finding someone who would donate blood in dayz is kind of hard with the shot on sight policy from the mod, if they added some refrigerators that have blood bags inside, now there is some electricity since i saw some lights ON when going in Elektro so it should be able to power up some old refrigerators in hospitals.

Dont flame me, i never write feedbacks but dayz is such a great game even with problems, so if im wrong what i wrote, just ignore it.

• Like 1

I will try to keep it short...

- Hunger: drops too fast, in real life you don't need to eat 20 cans of food to be able to run around for a day, for water i would understand since we sweat and our bodies are mainly made of water but still lowering the hunger and thirst would be more realistic.

Make sure that when you eat and drink, you eat and drink until your character says he/she is full.  Then shouldn't have to eat/drink for atleast an hour and a half.

• Like 1

• sitting locks body (as with ALT) and one is only able to turn head instead of whole body

sitting on benches

• Like 2

Climbing throught windows

Being able to loot things underneath beds/tables (sometimes it's pretty difficult)

Have some sinks, toilet water drinkable

• Like 3

Be able to store items inside of cooking pots like we can with the med bag and protective case.

• Like 4

The items nearby (vicinity) could be stretched out a little, and could rely on line-of-sight. A lot of times I'll see something I want and have to crouch and shimmy around just to get it in my vicinity, even though I can clearly see it poking out from below the bed. If the current check is just distance to center of mass, it could be changed from a spherical check to a cylinder or capsule check.

The right click options window for items in your inventory often says "receiving" or something along those lines before populating the options list. I think that's the server validating my options, but it's slow.

Melee weapons are definitely too weak, the fire axe being the exception. 

The hotbar isn't very responsive sometimes, and it's annoying to have to stop moving to take something into your hands. This especially for tools like the compass, which you can just bring up whenever you need it in the mod. When we start taking fire, it was useful before to be able to call out the bearing. Now if we wanted to do that one of us would have to step out of the fight to switch to their compass, which could take 2-4 seconds to actually respond effectively. It would be cool if depending on where the item was in your outfit it took a different amount of time/had different requirements to take in hand, for example stuff in your shirt or pants being a short animation without stopping you (~1s), items in your pack taking a long time and making you stop (~2s), and items in a vest or holster taking a very short amount of time to ready (~0.5s). This could extend to weapons, for example being able to pull a knife from your vest quickly without much motion to jump your capturer and escape, or being able to ready a rifle or draw a handgun faster when you have the holsters for them.

When you open cans of food it likes to place the opened can in the first available slot moving down from the top of your inventory instead of leaving it in the slot it was in, so it looks like the item disappears until you find it. It ought to stay where it was when opened.

Moving large items in your pack ontop of smaller items should move all of the affected smaller items to the slots used by the large item. For example, if you move a water bottle (2 vertical slots) on top of a can opener and some beans (2x single slots stacked vertically), it should move both the single slot items to the 2 slots vacated by the bottle. I believe it only moves a single item right now. This is kind of preference, and it would be cool if it was a user setting.

When you put on a new pair of pants or whatever, it'd be nice to have the items carry over from the old pants to the new ones. If this is currently intentional, you might be able to select the entire contents and have to play an animation or something. For example, switching the contents of one pack to another by dragging the entire inventory of the one on the ground into the one on your back (the new one). Something of a "take all" button. Maybe this could be specific to packs, with a "take all into pack" button.

You can pick up a portable stove when it's on and when the pot is on top of it. It moves as one object.

There are a TON of corpses along the coast, but none of them are zombies. Zombie corpses should stay around for a few hours. We were in Zelenogorsk or around there and we heard suppressed M4 fire and had to pull out of town. We never found the guy, but if there were a lot of zombies around we could've spotted the zombies he was killing and maybe tracked him.

Balota is the only thing to see on the southern coast and has become it's own NWAF.

I don't believe there's a way to turn off head bobbing anymore? I played with it off because it makes me a bit sick. Once that's changed I can play in first person again. Nevermind

Also, there's a small pop in the footstep on dirt audio (or one of the ones that plays when you're in the woods) that sounds a lot like a small calibre gunshot at a distance. The first time I noticed it I thought there were shots being fired nearby until I noticed that the shots were only fired when I was moving. You'd probably never notice it in a standard FPS but in DayZ you're generally a lot more immersed and the little pops and snaps become very noticeable when you're alone in the woods.

Edited by Publik
  • Like 5

I don't believe there's a way to turn off head bobbing anymore? I played with it off because it makes me a bit sick. Once that's changed I can play in first person again.

Yes there is, goto Options and Gameplay Options. Head Bob is a slider you can turn it down.

• Like 1

• holster bananas (directly from reddit)

option to use rotten food with canteen/bottle of water for contamination purposes.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Be able to store items inside of cooking pots like we can with the med bag and protective case.

I think anything hollow, including motorcycle helmets and ballistic helmets as well.

Of course they might not offer the same inventory boost.

Be able to cook things like closed cans of beans water bottles until they explode for a good timed distraction

^that giant list has some nice ideas in it.

I would recommend trying to read it.

• Like 1

Option to drink from a pump or pond until full, with a correspondingly long animation.Smilarly, option to eat whole food item eg can, tin. Having to click so many times is a frustrating and breaks the immersion.

Unable to eat or drink while wearing headgear that covers the face.

Able to break animations for eating, drinking etc - for those unexpected combat situations.

• Like 4

Option to drink from a pump or pond until full, with a correspondingly long animation.Smilarly, option to eat whole food item eg can, tin. Having to click so many times is a frustrating and breaks the immersion.

Unable to eat or drink while wearing headgear that covers the face.

Able to break animations for eating, drinking etc - for those unexpected combat situations.

Ability to raise/lower helmet visor for those cases were your face is covered.

Some of the taller boots ought to have inventory slots for smaller knives you can use to break out of zipties (assuming they're in alongside cuffs) or as a hidden weapon, or hide other such little emergency tools.

• Like 2

• suggestion for loot: chocolate bars: one on each server contains a golden ticket to the hype train.

a bit more furniture and objects if anyhow possible in at least some buildings. althoug it is alpha i guess otherwise this won't be changed that much

shades and helmets may lessen sun glare

Edited by joe_mcentire

• sitting locks body (as with ALT) and one is only able to turn head instead of whole body
  • sitting on benches

Nice idea. I want SP

• some handcuffs may also come with their keys already

option to "use flashlight with compass" to find directions at night (as posted here before)

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 3