Sign in to follow this  
knawx

Call in a supply drop from Green Mountain Radio.

Idea:

A group of lootable items are added into the game.

*Large battery

*Electrical wires

*Generator

*Radio equipment

*Microphone

These items are quite rare, but they are all required to "fix" and opperate the radio tower at Green Mountain. Once these items have been crafted and placed inside a control room, the players can then call for a supply drop. They are then given the coordinates of where this suppy drop will occure. Within in 20 minutes a cargo plane flies over the respective area of the map dropping a single crate containing higher teir loot.

Why I think this would be awesome.

*Would promote teamwork in order to aquire all the parts neccessary since they would be very difficult to obtain by yourself.

*Creates a player driven objective that has a high difficulty with a high risk ward factor.

*Other players, if in the right area, would see the cargo plane dropping its payload and would create some fun, and intense moments as the crate parachuted to the ground.

• Like 3

I like this idea, missions like these would add a whole new element to the game - I'm afraid it will need something like this or all thee other mods will take over.

• Like 1

No. This will not work and be completely against what DayZ is about. The idea itself is good but it just doesn't fit in with DayZ, also one guy would just let everyone work for him then shoot them all.

No. This will not work and be completely against what DayZ is about. The idea itself is good but it just doesn't fit in with DayZ, also one guy would just let everyone work for him then shoot them all.

Not necessarily, what if it we're a group of IRL friends etc. The one thing you need to remember is look at the mod. Epoch amongst others took over vanilla with missions etc and AI.

But, if we could call in a supply drop, why would we not just get the plane to land and get the hell out?

Exactly. The "there is nowhere to land" response is not valid either, we have 3 airfields on the map.

Not necessarily, what if it we're a group of IRL friends etc. The one thing you need to remember is look at the mod. Epoch amongst others took over vanilla with missions etc and AI.

Thats a matter of preference. It might have taken over for you and others, but me for one didn't like AI in Dayz. People just farmed the AI and stole their loot.

I like the idea of missions in the map that would encourage PVP encounters but this idea wouldn't work for many obvious reasons.  First and foremost being, why in the hell would I want a supply drop from a plane instead of a rescue?

But, if we could call in a supply drop, why would we not just get the plane to land and get the hell out?

People seem to have a misconception that DayZ is a 100% real life simulator. If that were true we'd be able to leave Chernarus no problem, but then we hit these invisible walls which I'm sure do not exist in real life.

*Also you can go third person

*You can sprint accross miles of land without stopping

*You never have to sleep

*No bathroom breaks

*Eating can be heard from 50m away

*Taking your shoes off do make footsteps quieter.

*Zombies

This list goes on and on. So lets drop the whole "DayZ is a 100% real life sim" argument. It's not, and there are plenty of non-real life mechanics in the game that are there to make the game fun and engaging. If we are playing in a world filled with Zombies, then I don't think an airdrop is out of the realm of "realistic".

I like the idea of being able to repair it, but call in a supply drop? Who would you call? And why would they bother wasting precious jet fuel and the goods they're dropping? What I'd rather see is that once it's repaired the person in control can either broadcast live or record a message that will loop through and people with radios can then tune in. Would be better if there were multiple locations people could broadcast from; imagine communities erupting around these locations, because they broadcasted in new survivors; or bandits using it to lay a trap; or Joe Bob advertising his mod shop.

Also why stop there? What about making those sporadic streetlights less sporadic and off by default and have players be able to repair generators and restore a bit of light in the darkness. Perhaps make it so that a few of the smaller villages can be completely provided with power (with a hefty upkeep price) stopping zombies from spawning within the village's borders, but attracting more zeds from outside (and most likely bandits when they see the beacon of light).

This will presumably work better if characters would be tied to servers (which'll help with server community building in itself), which is something I hope to see happening if/when we get to see 100+ player servers.

People seem to have a misconception that DayZ is a 100% real life simulator. If that were true we'd be able to leave Chernarus no problem, but then we hit these invisible walls which I'm sure do not exist in real life.

*Also you can go third person

*You can sprint accross miles of land without stopping

*You never have to sleep

*No bathroom breaks

*Eating can be heard from 50m away

*Taking your shoes off do make footsteps quieter.

*Zombies

This list goes on and on. So lets drop the whole "DayZ is a 100% real life sim" argument. It's not, and there are plenty of non-real life mechanics in the game that are there to make the game fun and engaging. If we are playing in a world filled with Zombies, then I don't think an airdrop is out of the realm of "realistic".

Fair point. :)