Sign in to follow this  
Frell

Will this game ever have a normal FPS camera?

Standalone's camera feels just like Arma 2's, unbelievably clunky. Why can't we have a camera as smooth as BF/COD/Rust/PS2/ARMA3/every other fps in the world? Mouse smoothing in the options makes it feel even worse. Going through houses is probably the most annoying thing in the world right now because of the camera and I seriously wonder why this game has to be the odd one out.

Arma 3 has a smooth FPS camera so I know its possible, and standalone uses the same engine so why not port it over?

Inb4 "its alpha stop complaining" which is completely false. We're supposed to complain so they acknowledge issues, we can't just guess everything will be fixed.

Edited by Frell

Going through houses is probably the most annoying thing in the world right now because of the camera.

Can you elaborate?  Are you using 1st or 3rd person in houses?  Also, are you walking through a house looking for loot or running? 

You're not meant to complain, you're meant to post constructive feedback/criticism.

Devs have already said there will be work done on First-Person view.

Arma 3 has a smooth FPS camera so I know its possible, and standalone uses the same engine so why not port it over?

Wrong. SA uses a modified version of the arma 2 engine. The engine got a massive overhaul for ArmA 3 and is not comparable to ArmA 2 or the one used in the SA. It's not a trivial thing to change the camera

It's the negative mouse acceleration. The option to turn it off is there under 'controls', but the feature hasn't been added yet.

Walking, first person. Turning is just a very clunky chore. I've played with my sensitivity and smoothing and I have it at a tolerable level but I still stay out of tight houses because I often miss doorways and get stuck on objects because I feel like my camera is pivoting on a smashed up bowling ball

You're not meant to complain, you're meant to post constructive feedback/criticism.

Devs have already said there will be work done on First-Person view.

Of course, but I have no experience modding Arma and I know it uses the same engine as Arma 3 or atleast a halfway build. My best suggestion was to port A3's camera over

It's the negative mouse acceleration. The option to turn it off is there under 'controls', but the feature hasn't been added yet.

I saw this in the options and it wasn't toggling, hopefully thats what it is. But even the mod was hard to play so it may just be an Arma 2 inspired thing.

Wrong. SA uses a modified version of the arma 2 engine. The engine got a massive overhaul for ArmA 3 and is not comparable to ArmA 2 or the one used in the SA. It's not a trivial thing to change the camera

FPS camera movement is simply math based on input and transferred to the cameras rotation (if it isn't then its being done improperly), it's almost global regardless of engine. But being similar engines makes it easy to 'copy' the other because the implementation is similar.
Edited by Frell

The devs have said they'd work on it. Not sure if they have yet, but they said they were trying to make the FPS view look better (as opposed to ARMA's which was limited by the skeleton IIRC).

It is irritating, but probably fairly low on the list right now. We'll get there.

I saw this in the options and it wasn't toggling, hopefully thats what it is. But even the mod was hard to play so it may just be an Arma 2 inspired thing.

FPS camera movement is simply math based on input, it's almost global regardless of engine. But being similar engines makes it easy to 'copy' the other.

Yes, negative mouse acceleration was featured in ArmA 2 also, but there was no way to turn it off. It's there so you can't twitch aim like you can in CoD/Battlefield/Counter-Strike.

The option to remove it in DayZ will be added at some point though, hold tight!

Edited by Mos1ey

Yes, negative mouse acceleration was featured in ArmA 2 also, but there was no way to turn it off. It's there so you can't twitch aim like you can in CoD/Battlefield/Counter-Strike.

The option to remove it in DayZ will be added at some point though, hold tight!

Red Orchestra stopped twitch aiming properly by using gun sway. But the camera itself is as smooth as any other shooter, thats all I mean. Arma 3 also stops twitch aiming without making the camera feel clunky

I don't want to 360 noscope or anything lol. The camera is just so clunky that 60 fps feels like 40

Edited by Frell

Yea not having definitive control over mouse movements can be incredible frustrating. Better then to balance the gun play by different means, imho.

However, I don't think it's a huge issue right now, but I would be happy if it was fixed in the future.

Yea not having definitive control over mouse movements can be incredible frustrating. Better then to balance the gun play by different means, imho.

However, I don't think it's a huge issue right now, but I would be happy if it was fixed in the future.

I mean I can deal with it for now but not too much longer. Hopefully once the major issues are fixed itll come pretty early, the game could really use it.

I'd like to remind any developers reading this that Garry's reason for creating Rust was because of how clunky DayZ felt, dealing with this issue early will help you compete more when people are trying both games. Rust's camera is everything you'd expect and DayZ's camera is far from it. Just a heads up, I like DayZ because its not as arcady but thats no excuse for this camera.

For me atleast it must be a mouse acceleration problem. The camera is terribly clonky and buggy, and its almost like my sensitivity is locked at some point.