Madscripter

DayZ UI / HUD Photoshoped *UPDATED*

I see DayZ Like this. My ideas in pictures, for a better game:

The inventory system

deim.png

OR , The second version (With some deocrations on the right side, backpack/M16)

LINK: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8786/d136.png

1) I know that in current stage, where theres a lack of game content graphic is not important.

But a game is game. and graphic is a must. and I see how lost Dean is with how to show the player what's going on with his character

At first we had no notifications, was based on Sounds, then it was in the chat, and then he added the notifications of Thirst/Hunger/Bleeding to the Inventory/My character mirror.

I don't really support showing bars in the inventory like I designed it, but I think it might be a good idea. (The notifications as they are by the character are very nice anyway)

2) The show equipment button would allow you to hide/show the equipment you're wearing (hiding it will show you the character as it shows right now in the game, allowing you to rotate and stuff)

Inventory system (second version)

mw6t.png

Not everyone likes the idea of having a too styled UI.

I agree. the whole idea with dayz is the simplicity of things.

Minimalistic interface.

I made this second version, I believe it's abit more polished than the one the game currently has.

Not much changed from dayz version to this when you look at functions, except for: Glass design (Transparent), colored notifications, quickslots, kills/status, and the hunger/thrist/bleeding/such notifications that are already in the game. just colorized here.

The Main menu:

c3wc.png

1) Continue: will continue your character story on the last server that you played on (They already have that right now), while hovering on it it shows up with the Players and the current server Time in a fast tooltip.

2) Survivor Stats: Showing your survivor's name and latest session statistics (the total play time, number of each kills).

3) Changed the first two buttons to Continue and My Survivor.

In the next few days I'm going to upload & add more ideas that I made to this thread.
The wall of text bellow will be more justified as I add more screenshots soon.

The ideas here are not neccesarily have to be in the game, My goal is applying to the Art department, and this is an overall "Showoff" (sorry, don't want to sound like a douche!) of my skills and what I can do for this game.
I'm also aware that this is Alpha. What i'm uploading is ideas for the future. I never said add it now or the exact thing, just lure ideas from it.

Who am I:

My name is Eddie. served as a graphic designer for the Military for 3 years with 8 years of photoshop experience (Yes, the military needs art, heh).

Nowdays I work on my own 2D game called Gang UP (check it out if you're interested). The art in the game and the website is made by me.

Note that this is not an attemp to promote my game, I chose a nice picture packed with photoshop work.

So any moderator who see this, if there's a problem i'll remove all the following lines and pictures. just contact me first , please.

o9vw.jpg

More examples:

mrwho.png

http://www.playgangup.com/images/media/screenshots/ingame/1483918_1443342395887169_2130655571_o.jpg

http://www.playgangup.com/images/media/screenshots/ingame/newbackgrounds.jpg

Why am I doing this?

I tried to contact the developers of DayZ about applying to the art department, many times - and never got an answer.

The way I see it, the HUD and UI in DayZ looks bad. I believe I can make it better.

I know they're all placeholders from the Alpha - but for a graphic designer who loves what he's doing, it's easier to produce a good looking work rather then a bad one regardless to what state the project is in. (It really is)

You may see this as a public attemp to contact Dean Hall through the General Forum, since Emailing Bohemia Interactive never worked and he's forum inbox is disabled.

2D Art , UI , HUD Graphic designer & Web developer:

That's what I do for living. I have 15 live websites of customers I serve, and a portfolio of thousands of work.

I don't know if they already have 2D Art UI/HUD designers, but I know one thing for sure: I can make dayz look better.

there is much to work on, and if you guys help me and this thread gets bigger, it might make it's way to one of the developers, or Rocket.

I've made a forum thread like this an year ago.

When The War Z came out, I created about 20 photoshoped screenshots of the game with new ideas.

I uploaded everything to the forums and I've reached 100k views and thousands of positive replies.

Why? Because I wanted to be a developer, and I wanted to help.

I've caught the attention of all the game developers (5 of them, including the lead producer) and they all had commented and monitored my thread.

Eventually, everything was added into the game. not the way I designed it, but I believe that suggesting in pictures and making the developers actually see their game looking better, gave them some ideas to what's in the game today.

Know this - I'm not trying to compare between the Zed's. I haven't actually played War Z for months. (once in a while I go back to check what's new)

I know that some of you think War Z is crap. I respect your thoughts > and I'm only saying I made this kind of thread on the warz forums and it was successfull. that's it, so try not to hate me.

War Z Photoshop Examples:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/213/tradeui.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7244/clanstorage.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1385/socialinteraction.jpg

Aftermoon Photoshop:

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/2698/testaa.jpg

NOTE:
I AM recycling some of my art from other games since I'm not using them anymore.

Some of the things here might look the same.

More stuff can be found on my dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w4a63y8827f0wx6/CGUIh1HL2O

On subject,

If you don't like my ideas i'm open minded. please feel free to comment here (just please be mature and try to be nice), AND if you have any more ideas please send them over PM and i'll make them. I have some free time.

When I started this thread on The War Z's forums a year ago, I started with one photoshoped picture. made almost 20 a few days later since I was flooded with ideas.

So before you comment, or hate:
I'm photoshoping ideas.

and the rule in this thread goes like this:

I post one > You post yours > I make yours > I post yours > others comment on each and so on...

I come up with the first Idea so that others can post their thoughts about it, this way I can make a new one with their notes and requests.

This is all made with good spirit and passion for this game :)

Thank you

Edited by Madscripter
  • Like 22

i think the inventory looks pretty good and fits in the world of dayz.

Nice work

No. Absolutely not. This makes the game too generic since it looks similar to other games' inventories. 

Besides this would most likely be a bit demanding on using your system's resources. What we have is fine. There's no need for an intricate inventory since it' simply just...an inventory.

Edited by Shadow134
  • Like 3

Why would we make a 3d Character thats turnable in the Inventoryscreen if we just overlay it with other stuff. Thats the only thing i see what I don't like, its actually nice to see your own chracter and move/turn it the same with items.

Other stuff looks good, the colours fit the setting.

But i have to say I also like the less pimped version we have right now.

AND: Its just an Alpha, it has been said a lot of times, its about working. Fancy stuff is coming next. What you see there is Programmer-Art (Dean even called it on E3 or Pax, cant remember).

Like the font its just a placeholder for a fancy UI and i think that they have some very talented people who could do it the same way.

As i said above, i like reduced stuff, so there's not much on the screen where new players get disappointed about.

I think you have done a good job, but i also want to say that bohemia already has a bunch of talented artists, who love their work and who will make the actual Inventoryscreen once its needed/wanted. But for now the alpha screen is working and thats all it should.

First the base, than the house on top of it.

PS: You're living a dangerous way by coming up with WarZ on here :D.

Edited by AlphaX

I don't believe your equips should block your character's model in the inventory screen. It's really the only way to see how your character looks upfront. 

And I agree with Shadow that it does look rather generic.

Rocket has stated several times that the inventory and UI is placeholder. Don't get yourself worked up about it.

Why would we make a 3d Character thats turnable in the Inventoryscreen if we just overlay it with other stuff. Thats the only thing i see what I don't like, its actually nice to see your own chracter and move/turn it the same with items.

Right there with you on this one.  My only complaint about the current UI iteration is the fact that it's in fucking Times New Roman.  The minimalism of it is great, but throw a man some verdana, or at least a sans serif font.

Didn't you see the alpha sign that is literally everywhere? Everything is work in progress...

Oh, I added a button up there that allows you to hide/show the overlay. i'll add an explanation.

And guys please think about it this way, I'm trying to apply to the art department. I'm just doing it in a more public way (How it turns out, I don't know. I'm having fun doing it for now) and the ideas here not neccessarily have to be in the game. it's mostly to show what I can do to make this game better.

And I agree on having a clean UI aswell, this is why I made two versions. because at some point when I worked on it It came up to my head that this game is less about UI and options.

I like it! Don't listen to the peeps saying it looks "generic" it looks like a really nicely polished version of the inv. Im sure there are already plans for the in game inv, but I hope that the devs see this and maybe draw some inspiration from it. Have some beans :)

• Like 2

You lost me at WarZ.

Lol

Two different worlds, i'm aware of that.

I'm not trying to compare, by the way. in any kind of way. only comparing forum threads, saying that I did this photoshop thing back in the days when the game came out.

I like it! Don't listen to the peeps saying it looks "generic" it looks like a really nicely polished version of the inv. Im sure there are already plans for the in game inv, but I hope that the devs see this and maybe draw some inspiration from it. Have some beans :)

Thank you.

I hope so too.

Edited by Madscripter

The Main menu:

c3wc.png

1) Continue: will continue your character story on the last server that you played on (They already have that right now), while hovering on it it shows up with the Players and the current server Time in a fast tooltip.

2) Survivor Stats: Showing your survivor's name and latest session statistics (the total play time, number of each kills).

3) Changed the first two buttons to Continue and My Survivor.

Added another one. the main menu~

well know it gets a bit to much about statistics i think.

the hunger bar was close to the edge already.

Don't see why people are hating on this guy. He's just trying to help the game, unlike most people.

• Like 4

sweet layouts man!!

i really dig that inventory menu.

Don't see why people are hating on this guy. He's just trying to help the game, unlike most people.

I really appreciate that, thank you both. and yeah.. it's all done in good vibe. I want to see this game getting better as much as everyone :)

• Like 1

nah man, looks to glossy & fancy. that'S not DayZ.
also i heavily dislike things like the m4+bag+stuff on the right. 

this takes me out of my immersion. why would i want to have this there? decoration. no please no. keep it functional

Wow! This NEEDS to be shown to the devs! The inventory system looks quite improved along with the main menu! Can anyone show this to the devs and have them quickly change a few things to look like this?

• Like 1

nah man, looks to glossy & fancy. that'S not DayZ.

also i heavily dislike things like the m4+bag+stuff on the right. 

this takes me out of my immersion. why would i want to have this there? decoration. no please no. keep it functional

I must say, I agree with you even though I made it.

I do regret doing it, and this is why I made the other version aswell. (i'm switching between the links right now, i think that the one without the decoration should be as a main pic)

Because I think that it doesn't belong there.

Whatever you see here, just ideas crossing my mind while working on the picture. after reading comments here I kind of change my mind about stuff.

The game should have minimum UI, I agree on that.

I'm still going to work on new stuff so I'll probally come up with better stuff that you or others who thinks as you might like.

I really appreciate that, thank you both. and yeah.. it's all done in good vibe. I want to see this game getting better as much as everyone :)

for the people saying its too gloss and fancy, why not just gritty up those layouts haha.

just put a bit of speckle and other filters and presto you have pretty & gritty

for the people saying its too gloss and fancy, why not just gritty up those layouts haha.

just put a bit of speckle and other filters and presto you have pretty & gritty

In the next designs ill probally do that.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE MOAR IDEAS

Not a fan of the interface/inventory. Just seems like a legitimate version of the "debug" window. It sort of short-changes the potential for organic experience, rather than just relying on numbers and stats.

The inventory looks bad, though. I'm sorry, but they've got a perfectly good character model to show off the clothing items. Why then put a redundant window with each individual article of clothing over that character who's ALREADY wearing said items of clothing?