code_man313

When can we expect vehicles to in the game?

I was curious as to when we can expect vehicles to be in the game. I know that it probably won't be all that soon, but they are an important part of the game. Dean keeps talking about re-balancing the map and adding new areas to the north part of the map, but that seems like a waste because the far north of the map is rather inaccessible without vehicles. Right now, it can be hard to do much and see the new parts of the map when it takes over an hour to walk the length of the map. I'm just curious as to what the current time table on some of the new content is.

Thankfully ArmA 2 script injecting is the same as it ever was, so vehicles are actually in the game already.

u1IF2p6.jpg

They won't be in for a while.  The DayZ dev team is completely remaking the vehicles.

well, on one of rockets tweets, he told someone  how to do something, and than he said vehicles soon, with a smiley face. So not to long i guess. 

It's one of the key features expected to be ready for the beta, which is expected to arrive 'more than a year' after the current stage.

So, it'll happen at some point before beta. That's all we know.

EDIT:

Source: Steam store page.

Everything else is either outdated or made up.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

6 months

Why do you say this?

well, on one of rockets tweets, he told someone  how to do something, and than he said vehicles soon, with a smiley face. So not to long i guess. 

When and where was this?

They won't be in for a while.  The DayZ dev team is completely remaking the vehicles.

But you don't know how far along they are, only that they will be different than the mod.

Christ, running around is hard enough, what will pedaling a bike be like?

Never been a fan of vehicles in DayZ, I hope they are a long time, car engines and chopper parts in your bags? Meh.

I hope only groups can carry heavy items together as opposed to a single player carrying loads in their bag. Breaks realism and immersion.

Personally I hope it ends up being that we can basically build a car out of scraps.  

That way there could be only a couple of functional cars already spawned on the map, with the rest requiring building.

It would stop all that nonsense vech hoarding that went on in the mod. 

Never been a fan of vehicles in DayZ, I hope they are a long time, car engines and chopper parts in your bags? Meh.

I hope only groups can carry heavy items together as opposed to a single player carrying loads in their bag. Breaks realism and immersion.

But this borders on hyper realism, you make the game so real it isn't fun any more. It makes it so someone who likes to play games on his/her own cannot play at the same level of others. It was the same way with blood bagging in the mod. If you didn't have a friend to play with, you couldn't get blood back. Having a car was what made the mod fun in my opinion.

It would stop all that nonsense vech hoarding that went on in the mod. 

Why on Earth would they want to stop that? It's one of the things that kept the mod interesting. Trying to acquire as many vehicles as possible and defend them from other players was a huge part of the game for our group.

People who think "hoarding" was a problem just didn't run with the right crowd I guess.

I will be really shocked if vehicles are any less rare they they were in the mod. In fact, I would wager they're going to be even more rare and difficult to acquire.

It makes it so someone who likes to play games on his/her own cannot play at the same level of others. It was the same way with blood bagging in the mod. If you didn't have a friend to play with, you couldn't get blood back. Having a car was what made the mod fun in my opinion.

Someone who plays on his/her own shouldn't be able to play on the same level as others. That's the whole point. Being able to join a group of survivors and combine efforts should (and likely will) always confer a big advantage in DayZ. You can be a lone wolf and survive, but you're not going to be achieving the same goals as a group working together. As it should be. Why should you be as effective as 5 or 10 other people who took the time and effort to band together?

It's amazing - in one thread people complain that "KoS" is too rampant because the game doesn't encourage enough cooperative play, and two threads down someone is decrying features that require cooperation because they're an impediment to playing alone.

I'm not decrying features that are helped by cooperative play; I'm saying adding in realism for the sake of realism is dumb. This is a game first and foremost, and its job is to be fun. Making it so you  need 5 people to carry and engine or needing to poop is just dumb.

I agree on the heli parts but if you want to get technical with it, they were engine PARTS, not a whole engine. I'd understand if it just said Car Engine but it doesn't :p

Hopefully not for a very, very long time. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with vehicles in these games. They make the game smaller and the smart people who have them exploit the hell out of them.

FInd that hard to believe. Could you find that tweet for me?

And what i've heard several times is that they want to make car spawn random. Spawning along all roads etc. 

Dean said (this was a while ago though) that Vehicles would be released approx. 3 months after alpha.

Dean said (this was a while ago though) that Vehicles would be released approx. 3 months after alpha.

Just have to wait and see what happens,right now the balance of the map size and quantity of players are a bit balanced

Dean was also once heard saying that the Alpha would release approximately around December of 2012.  So we can expect cars somewhere around the beginning of 2015?

Seriously people...I doubt the devs even really know when they will be able to get them in the game.  Making wild guesses isn't going to make it happen any sooner.

This is a game first and foremost, and its job is to be fun. 

Types of fun vary. There are literally hundreds of games that don't have that level of realism, let one of the few games that does hold on to it please.