Sign in to follow this  
Perrywinkle

Would this be possible?

So, it gets really old being ambushed by server hoppers. The reload sound helps to warn you that they are there but does not really solve the problem. In fact, a relog timer does not solve the problem either. It just means that you have to wait 5-10 minutes waiting instead of spending 30 minutes running to another area.

Would it be possible to have "high loot" areas marked so that when someone logs out in them, they are placed into another part of the map? This could even be in a radius and/or preset spawn points from whichever high traffic area that they logged out in. 

So, if someone logs out at NEAF, they are located outside of NEAF on login and have to make their approach into the area again.

Or just put a random 1/5 chance of character death when they log out in high traffic/high loot areas. Russian roulette server hopping.

It's a temporary issue that'll be sorted in future updates - obviously at this early state, getting the game up and running smoothly is the priority. The playability and balance issues will come later on. Frustrating, I know, but them's the breaks with Alpha testing. :)

I'm sorry but that is a pretty bad idea.  There are other ways to fix this issue.  

• Like 1

What other ways? Login timer is not one of them. There is no way to effectively implement a system like that would not punish honest players. 

Even if it was cumulative,  you would just server hop until you couldn't bear the long relog timer and then just play from there. 

Maybe a 60 second timer where the guy logging in and any players affected cant shoot or be shot and a warning showing you someone has just logged in your area and 1 for the guy coming in so he knows he logged in near players, would give everyone a chance to get into cover and be ready to fight or move away.

Better than getting killed from a room you recently cleared and the guy logging in might not be hostile so he gets the chance to move away if he wants, ive logged out at stary in a hurry before and took 20 minutes to get outa the area because of snipers i heard soon as i logged in.

With the server hopping problem it would be better if you had 1 character to 1 server, that way if you are up north with good gear and a friend just finished work and spawns in fresh you could join another server and start again with them instead of having to go all the way back down to the coast, could work better for the community on each server too if they have the same people on everyday

Edited by stonerftm

I understand logging out in a hurry, but if there was a % chance of instadeath on loot area logout, it would just add another layer to the game. You would not only have to think about getting in to get your loot, but also if you have enough time to get out. If you didn't have a lot of time, you would have to make the decision of looting one more building and risking death or getting to a safe place. 

Most of the time people who are server hopping (read all of the time) are not friendly. They want the quick and easy way of acquiring loot. KOSing you is the quick and easy way. If the guy logging in was the only one that couldn't shoot, it would be amazing. After you hear someone log in you would have 60 seconds to hunt them down before they became a threat. If both people can't shoot, what is to stop someone who enters into the area after that timer starts and killing both the hopper (fair) and the honest player (unfair). Also, why should the honest player be penalized because someone else is server hopping?

If the number of players gets as high as they want it to, I would love to see one server/one character. 

Yeah if someone came into the area and killed the players who can't shoot that would be shit, maybe if the players affected can't die instead then if a player outside the area shoots you can get into cover and you know where the shot came from. All of this would be a pain to add to the game for the devs at the minute priority has to be keeping the game running decent for everyone, i remember when the mod came out it was great how we could try it through the early stages and report bugs n shit just like were doing with SA, just wish there wasnt so much fekn crying and refund demands, thankfully we've had this forum all this time because the steam forums are full of wankers

I'm not crying. Just wondering if anyone has had any constructive thoughts about it. I have not really found anything that addresses the issue or how the dev team is planning on solving it. I just remember that server hopping is one of the things that really turned the game into a deathmatch. 

I'm sure I won't have to wonder very long either... The $6million in sales should really help speed up that development process.

Punishments, buffs or debuffs for anyone logging in and out or anyone near a person logging in or out are a very awkward idea. And the chance of death on log out would be rotten. What happens to people who lose internet connection for a second? They die instantly because they DC'ed in a high loot area? Or what happens when there's an emergency and a player has to log immediately? Punish them with death because real life happened? Seems unfair.  I think the best solution is truly 1 character per server, but in that case the loot/loot respawning will have to be rebalanced hardcore which I am sure they are going to do anyway. With a game like this I think servers should be a community. Similar to games like minecraft. You find a server you like with people you like and you work with or against them, new players jumping in or out every once in a while. Makes everything you do that much more important and epic. 

Edited by MastrBlaster
  • Like 1

This could easily be remedied by placing spawn points on the entire map (instead of just the coast), and when you log onto another server you are placed in random spawn. If you relog in the same server you are where you left off.