PhilB

Shocking Number of New Players

Enjoying the relative safety of the game's newness, I've been chatting it up a lot with random survivors. I try to talk to everyone I see. It's remarkable how many people I meet who never played the mod, true noobs. What's promising is they all seem to like the game.

Anyone else noticed this?

• Like 3

Yes. I encounter people who ask me if I can teach them how to play all the time.

Then I just shoot them in the face... 

• Like 4

Along with the new players, most of them are relatively friendly which is great to see.

• Like 5

I feel bad for the newbies with loot being the way it is right now. I know this will be fixed most likely with next update though.

But yes. I like the new blood. Newbies are very welcome IMO. The SA has a neat vibe right now. I've encountered the random axe murderer (wannabe) but the new buildings and towns and new players gives a fresh feel to the game. It's cool to see new people learning the game. 

There are a lot of people on the fence about buying the alpha (on steam forums). I tell them to do some research and of course be aware that this is indeed an alpha. But with another update or two, I think I'll be able to safely actually recommend the alpha to newbies.

Edited by need matches
  • Like 1

I think maybe it is time to stop selling the game. 

200,000 players in an "alpha test" as of right now.

Steam is currently dead. Maybe because of player volume, Dean says, "hitting peak numbers now".

So DayZ has a community of 200k from the get go. I say nurture that community and then in a month let another 200k on board. 

I dare to think about what kind of nightmare would happen if DayZ steamrolled from here and sold 500k copies. 

• Like 1

I think maybe it is time to stop selling the game. 

200,000 players in an "alpha test" as of right now.

Steam is currently dead. Maybe because of player volume, Dean says, "hitting peak numbers now".

So DayZ has a community of 200k from the get go. I say nurture that community and then in a month let another 200k on board. 

I dare to think about what kind of nightmare would happen if DayZ steamrolled from here and sold 500k copies. 

I would imagine that the peak number of players will drop off within a day or two.  

Mostly because I'm certain a good chunk of them bought the game blindly and will then proceed to drop it when they realize its still very alpha.  (even though for an alpha, it is still a pretty good experience) 

Everyone i've seen so far has been friendly, well those guys i made contact with, armed guys who are in a distance, i usually keep my distance to them aswell. And well, Today on balota, I saw a guy on an UK server, I was looting the tent area, he arrived there, his gun up, Well I saved my life by yelling "friendly don't shoot me!" Worked this time, He puts his gun away, I had mine away already, We had a chat, he asked me for a help for his friend.

People just need to encourage, their friends not to kill anyone on sight, I'm sure there will be those guys who earn it, and you can shoot/slash them willingly, because for example, I had another scene on Balota, this time at the hangars, I was alerted by my friend who already befriended another survivor, I arrived there saw 2 melee-armed guys chasing them, I took aim and waited, those guys turned instantly around, and ran inside one of the hangars. While we were at the airfield, We were just chatting for a while with the friendly guy, my friend befriended earlier and another unarmed player joins us after that. Then we saw the other axe guy murdering the other when he was looting something, instantly noticed betrayal, that guy took his chance that I did not have any bullets in my mosin, well... Justice was served. That guy was shot dead on the floor and our 2 friendly guys went and took their loot, then they vanished off.

Edited by Aporis
  • Like 1

im liking how people dont just kos on sight..its nice to team up and survive for longer

Definitely. It makes survival a lot easier with people who can find loot quickly and disperse zombies much faster and retaliate against bandits alike.