Sign in to follow this  
LaurenDanger

The fire rekindled: happy about standalone

I feel revitalized. I have that same feeling i did back in May 2012 when I first started with DayZ as a mod. The zombie slaying lady within is quite pleased with the challenge and adventure ahead.

"But Lauren," you might say, "It's alpha, it's buggy, it's this and that and whaaa wha wha."

So was DayZ the mod some sixteen, seventeen months ago when I first read about it, consumed some Youtube vids and started playing. I loved the experience back then. The mystery, the struggle, the learning curve, the deaths to zombies (I have since learned to ignore the annoyance over the reality that I will be killed. The mod taught be that back when I was spawn sniped for a can of beans and a makarov mag. Yes, way back when those were starter items!)

There's something thrilling about being there at the beginning, about finding the bugs, about learning the new techniques, and while I am not quite so pleased about the shuffling fleshbag of infection that survived multiple crowbar hits and knocked me out when I had finally escaped the coast with a good setup...I laughed anyway and respawned. Next, I had a delightful night-time encounter with someone who tried to punch me and bully me until I stopped running and pulled out the hatchet. Then he went quiet and ran. Ha! Of course my poor t-shirt became bandages. It gets cold at night in the game...

Whatever the flaws are, I don't care right now. It is a wonderful new challenge in a familiar world, but new houses to enter, new loot placement, new rules, new commands, new menus, new looks, and same old player base of weird folks. THIS is what it felt like to me back in 2012 and this has rekindled the fire of DayZ for me. I was done with Epoch, base building, Overwatch hide and seek, and mods not working because of all of the changes needed, and I was ready to move on from the mod.

Standalone has brought back the magic and the chaos. I look forward to being there through it all, even if the crowbar is still weak.

;)

• Like 3

I feel revitalized. I have that same feeling i did back in May 2012 when I first started with DayZ as a mod. The zombie slaying lady within is quite pleased with the challenge and adventure ahead.

"But Lauren," you might say, "It's alpha, it's buggy, it's this and that and whaaa wha wha."

So was DayZ the mod some sixteen, seventeen months ago when I first read about it, consumed some Youtube vids and started playing. I loved the experience back then. The mystery, the struggle, the learning curve, the deaths to zombies (I have since learned to ignore the annoyance over the reality that I will be killed. The mod taught be that back when I was spawn sniped for a can of beans and a makarov mag. Yes, way back when those were starter items!)

There's something thrilling about being there at the beginning, about finding the bugs, about learning the new techniques, and while I am not quite so pleased about the shuffling fleshbag of infection that survived multiple crowbar hits and knocked me out when I had finally escaped the coast with a good setup...I laughed anyway and respawned. Next, I had a delightful night-time encounter with someone who tried to punch me and bully me until I stopped running and pulled out the hatchet. Then he went quiet and ran. Ha! Of course my poor t-shirt became bandages. It gets cold at night in the game...

Whatever the flaws are, I don't care right now. It is a wonderful new challenge in a familiar world, but new houses to enter, new loot placement, new rules, new commands, new menus, new looks, and same old player base of weird folks. THIS is what it felt like to me back in 2012 and this has rekindled the fire of DayZ for me. I was done with Epoch, base building, Overwatch hide and seek, and mods not working because of all of the changes needed, and I was ready to move on from the mod.

Standalone has brought back the magic and the chaos. I look forward to being there through it all, even if the crowbar is still weak.

;)

^This, a thousand times over.

I was lucky enough to get in a couple of weeks early to help with load testing, and in the last big push a few hours before the SA was announced, I bumped into a guy on Balota airfield. We chatted briefly, realised we were heading the same way and decided to team up for a bit. We walked to Cherno slowly the entire way, drinking in the atmosphere - it was nearly dark, so shadows were everywhere, we could hear the distant gunfire from time to time, and we crept forward whilst keeping as low a profile as possible. Several times we dropped and watched as an oblivious freshspawn sprinted down the road past us, probably never even realising we were there.

It felt like DayZ again, and I can't wait for the chance to play it with likeminded folks.

• Like 2

I feel you completely.  This all reminds me of when I began back in July 2012.  The terror, the fear, the confusion, and the struggle to survive are all back.  I no longer feel like a vet who knew what to do, when and where.  I feel like a noob again who is struggling to stay alive for every second I play.

• Like 2

The product itself compared even to the most evolved mod version is far far superior. smoother, more predictable, the environment not only far more detailed with all the open buildings but far better finished to seem like a real place.

I am not a helicopter builder, base builder, I do not even use tents. I just like surviving till the bandits or the zombies get me. I really like this version of the game.

It was interesting having to figured out via a few deaths how to make and apply a bandage, how to open a can of food with a knife, how to pace my self while I travel and rest. But very enjoyable.

A few buildings with  door sill issues,  a real dearth of supplies on the coast, but fun challenges.

it is a bit silly that I drink 10 times at a well until I slosh, and be a bit thirsty 30 meters of walking later. 

• Like 1