mercules

Hive System - People are already server hopping

Why not add a 10 minute timer before you can click log out once you join, and then a 10 minute timer to log out.

example:

-You want to log out

-you press esc, and leave button.

-a 10 minute timer starts, and you simply keep playing, and when the five minutes is up, and you log out

a. Timer can be manually disrupted in pause menu (Cancel button) if you happen to find sick loot.

b. also disrupted by firefights.

-If ten minutes goes by, you log out.

and if you alt-f4 (or Crash) during either 10 minute period it simply spawns you at the coast. So in all that's a 20 min period. To a player who is ACTUALLY playing it wouldn't be a big deal (only a 10 minute logout), but to a hopper its a total of 20 mins, which i think would be enough to deter most from hopping.

Server swapping affects more than just combat logging and using it to gain a tactical advantage. I couldn't care less about ALT-F4.

It hampers much of the loot system (being able to farm loot on empty servers and then transport it to whatever server you wish).

It also affects any server dependent systems (like construction, storage, etc.)

It also cheapens many of the more nebulous things that make DayZ great. Example - "Oh, there's a doctor in the Elektro hospital on US 4450, let's log out there on CA 65 and kill him/her when we log in". Or, "I heard there's a crazy man with a hatchet underneath the bridge at Vybor on US 4450, lets not go to that server... or let's log out there and camp the spot with LMGs".

Edited by Katana67

Server swapping affects more than just combat logging and using it to gain a tactical advantage. I couldn't care less about ALT-F4.

It hampers much of the loot system (being able to farm loot on empty servers and then transport it to whatever server you wish).

It also affects any server dependent systems (like construction, storage, etc.)

It also cheapens many of the more nebulous things that make DayZ great. Example - "Oh, there's a doctor in the Elektro hospital on US 4450, let's log out there on CA 65 and kill him/her when we log in". Or, "I heard there's a crazy man with a hatchet underneath the bridge at Vybor on US 4450, lets not go there... or let's log out there and camp the spot with LMGs".

Like I said, my system stops all of those except the server base construction. Most people ( even server hoppers) won't want to wait 20 mins to leave a server. It also helps prevent ghosting, as most people keep moving, and if you don't in at least 20 minutes, you either are new to DayZ, or have some special tactic I fail to understand. The only way I see ghosting being an issue is if a groups barricades Cherno, and clan ghosts into the city. And again, I don't think ghosters will want to wait 20 mins (unless its two huge rival clans or something).

Edit: server hopping could still be an issue if people find a route that gives them a lot of loot in 20 mins, but again, i feel most server hoppers wont be willing to do actual work.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

It's an alpha. You signed up for this.

If you don't like it you didn't have to buy the SA.

I think you are missing something.. we are in this  forum just ...sharing our points of view about features of the alpha that must be change..

i think is a healthy actitud.

Like I said, my system stops all of those except the server base construction. Most people ( even server hoppers) won't want to wait 20 mins to leave a server. It also helps prevent ghosting, as most people keep moving, and if you don't in at least 20 minutes, you either are new to DayZ, or have some special tactic I fail to understand. The only way I see ghosting being an issue is if a groups barricades Cherno, and clan ghosts into the city. And again, I don't think ghosters will want to wait 20 mins (unless its two huge rival clans or something).

Edit: server hopping could still be an issue if people find a route that gives them a lot of loot in 20 mins, but again, i feel most server hoppers wont be willing to do actual work.

Or rocket could simply add servers that are isolated from the main hive, problem solved.

* That was the main reason I loved the early private hive servers, no server hopping snipers in random bushes.

* No server hopping military base looters. 

It was common for people to loot military bases on dead servers, and in standalone alpha we have the exact same problem. 

fuck there are so many annoying people who haven't listened properly. It's 30 seconds and then it adds up (i would suggest it compounds, rather than adding 30 seconds each time, it should go -30 seconds - 1 minute - 2 minutes - 4 minutes etc), NOT just a 30 second wait. Which would mean that yes, you can swap servers once or twice or three times, and then it becomes a tedious wait, and you're further punished for every time you switch server. 

People need to get the bee out of their bonnet about it, it's an alpha. the devs ARE aware that this is an issue and haven't implemented their fix yet, I don't understand why people feel the need to server hop really, yes you get gear quicker but getting gear and pvp/player interaction is really all there is to do in Dayz at the moment, so in the end their just shitting on their own experience. 

Edited by Capo

10 minute break if you join a different server than the one you've just been on, unless you've had a break from the game for over an hour.

Its gamebreaking.

Again i reference Breaking Point which Already does this. 10 minutes is fine. and stop them doing this

10 minute break if you join a different server than the one you've just been on, unless you've had a break from the game for over an hour.

Its gamebreaking.

Again i reference Breaking Point which Already does this. 10 minutes is fine. and stop them doing this

I wouldn't necessarily say that breaking point has found the solution. 

If you actually read the break points forums, people constantly complain how server hoppers are stealing vehicles very easily and infiltrating camps with ease. Not to mention that server hopping is a very effective way to flank an enemy group. 

If the gear is worth it, then don't be surprised that people will wait out the timer.

* It already takes a while to reach the NWAF with supplies, I seriously doubt that people will have a problem with a small timer.

yeah i know that but 10 minutes slows them down drastically and they would take an hour to search 5 servers. Its a temp fix to stop this server raping.

yeah i know that but 10 minutes slows them down drastically and they would take an hour to search 5 servers. Its a temp fix to stop this server raping.

Or just create around 30 isolated servers.

* Imagine people actually running to find loot instead of server hopping and waiting out a timer.

Don't get me wrong, the 10 timer minute will help slightly but in the end it will not do much good at all. I personally look at what would improve the overall experience.  

But then again... I am still waiting for the perfect server...

* 1st person only 

* Isolated hive 

Edited by Sobieski12

rocket already said timeout and anticombat logging is disabled due to a fear of overloading the servers.  it will be fixed, just not right now

• Like 1

Yeah i heard that what i was saying is before they have the time and energy to turn all the antihack sh*t on, just throw in a 10 min delay as a temp fix so the game becomes more playable for the people who aren't cheating by server hopping.

I agree somewhat it would be better with isolated hives . and I think it will have to go that way soon. to be honest its the only solid solution. but look at the state of the UK/EU servers- I can't even join any because their all rammed full. I don't know how people have even managed to server hop. Then again, I work all day so its 'prime time' by the time I try to join a single lobby.

rocket already said timeout and anticombat logging is disabled due to a fear of overloading the servers.  it will be fixed, just not right now

Ooo I'm glad that he does see it as something that needs to be implemented in the future.

Can you link where he states that please? c:

Server hoppers just don't know how to enjoy the game. 
It's more fun going around exploring, killing zombies, looting, teaming up... you know, actually playing the game.

Hopping from server to server in the same room for hours must be boring as fuck, and it's their own loss. They're missing out.

Even if they're hopping for loot to go play their call of duty at the airfield or major cities, they're still ruining this great game for themself, not realizing the potential of actually playing it as a survival game.
They already own call of duty I'm sure, so why buy Dayz for call of duty purposes with the occasional annoying but harmless zombie.

I will never know, nor will I ever understand why they bother doing it.  ._.

Edited by James MacDonald
  • Like 2

This what happens when loot doesnt respawn. I admit i am guilty of it. Why? because screw that, thats why. Make stuff respawn and people wont do it as much. Also timer helps.

This what happens when loot doesnt respawn. I admit i am guilty of it. Why? because screw that, thats why. Make stuff respawn and people wont do it as much. Also timer helps.

agreed i posted a bug report and in the general section of the forums. still waiting confirmation from a dev that this is gonna be fixed

i think the time penalty is a good fix for now, but like I said about breaking point arma 3...its soooooo annoying.

and how many times do you get an error joining servers right now in alpha? its not uncommon to have issues.

there would be a lot of accidental penalties given out, which would lead to uproar on the forums

Simply allow 3 server changes within a hour and 8 changes within a day.

problem solved, beans to me :thumbsup: :P

Edited by Gaint

Thanks for spoiling the game for people who decide to play properly!  Coward!

Server hopping is the #1 reason why private hives are better than the public hive.

Each server having the players location saved, no ghosting, no server hopping, white listed players so no hacking.

• Like 1

Ehem.... this happens on public servers even when loot DOES Respawn. It is an issue I had forgotten about because in DayZ Mod I don't go near Airfields/Cherno/Electro. I pick up the occasion military loot in Berezino and such. In Epoch most of them are private servers, which makes total sense with the permanent structures. 

I love the redundancy of server hives, but I hate the server hopping. Hopefully Rocket will find a middle ground. 

Many people hop from server to server only to get food & drinks because usually all markets and everything is empty. If the loots dont respawn i dont think its peoples fault to change servers at this state.

I have done this few times since my charecter is dying from dehydration and cant go on without drinks. Big cities are almost all empty after few hours of restart. There is no animals to hunt so people try to get canned food and so on from the cities. So people only "live" near big towns to get the basic items to continue game. Server will shrink alot when the loot spawning is working.