Sign in to follow this  
whatup2003

Some settings should be forced on, like shadows

Some settings should be forced on, like shadows, and some settings should be limited, like lighting and gamma max values. Why? Because people who wants to enjoy better graphics shouldn't be intimidated by losing tactical advantages to people who purposely/forced to turn down their graphic settings.

Right now when playing in the night, turning lighting and gamma all the way up and turn off shadows clearly make a huge difference.

So my suggestion is:

- limit lighting and gamma adjustment to 20% of the range as of right now, so if now people can adjust from 0-100, make it so people can only adjust from 40-60. (it's how most of games do it now anyways)

- shadow can be set on very low, but never off. (lightmaps are never taken off)

Feel free to suggest other settings that you feel should be limited or forced on/off.

Never...

Going to happen.

Ever.

The reason brightness and Gamma is there is because some people have darker monitors, whereas some people have brighter. It's like saying, if you have a 'normal' computer set up you can play our game. 

Shadows in ArmA are the bane to most players. I for a fact, run 30 fps with shadows on low, but when I turn them off, or just on very low, I get about 68-70 fps.

I see how you can get annoyed by some people have an advantage over you.

You sound like since you don't like people being "better" than you, it must change. 

Just think to your self this:

I'd rather have a game that's fun, and nice to look at, instead of a game that looks like s*** and I feel like a boss. 

People say if you turn off arma II trees, you see people better. I, turn them ALL on, so it looks pretty. 

• Like 1

The only thing I feel should be forced is brightness and gamma. Have players do a test at the start of the game to determain optimum settings and leave it there.

Thing is it spoils the night time play! Obviously it gives players an advantage, so nearly everyone does it just to put them on a level playing field.

Which is a shame as the night time part of the game for me is where it excels. Really tense and the atmosphere is chilling when in pitch black just with your torch

Not gonna happen. I need shadows off because my computer isn't top of the line anymore and i don't have cash to upgrade.

How inconsiderate to you to not consider those of us who happen to be on the older end of the scale. 

also, you cannot limit gamma from ingame, both nvidia and ATI graphics cards have native gamma/colour correction built right into their control panels. Any attempt at locking gamma will only result in increased facepalming by me.

Edited by DNolan
  • Like 1

Some settings should be forced on, like shadows, and some settings should be limited, like lighting and gamma max values. Why? Because people who wants to enjoy better graphics shouldn't be intimidated by losing tactical advantages to people who purposely/forced to turn down their graphic settings.

Right now when playing in the night, turning lighting and gamma all the way up and turn off shadows clearly make a huge difference.

So my suggestion is:

- limit lighting and gamma adjustment to 20% of the range as of right now, so if now people can adjust from 0-100, make it so people can only adjust from 40-60. (it's how most of games do it now anyways)

- shadow can be set on very low, but never off. (lightmaps are never taken off)

Feel free to suggest other settings that you feel should be limited or forced on/off.

Then people who have lower end pc's should force those with higher end pc to have their scene complexity maxed out at 50000. That way the server doesn't work harder to portray your ridiculous polygon counts and decrease playability for all other players...

They can't force gamma and brightness.  I don't mean they shouldn't, or won't, but can't.

Short of taking complete control over your hardware and software all you're doing is changing where the setting is.

I have no problem to just "have fun" in a game instead of chase after some numbers, but in a game with such death punishment, getting killed over and over again by people simply because they turned shadow off would be pretty much a buzz-kill.

Like I said, most of games can limit how much people can adjust some game-changing settings to a reasonable level. A level where game still looks kinda decent but still allow people with different hardware setups to play the game. Why can't DayZ?

Hey, i wish we all played it on great settings aswell, but i had friends who couldnt run it on them settings.

As much as i would love to play a graphically nice game, id also rather play with friends who maybe cant waste money on an expensive setup that will be out of date in 6 mths.

Sure, I know they can't limit gamma in graphics card settings, but at least some games hide gamma setting and limit brightness settings in game. People will always find a way to gain advanges, but if the setting is not directly in game, this number of people would be greatly reduced.

And people who said I'm should think about people who has older hardwares. Well, this game engine is from a game released in 2009, which is still not the most hardware-demanding game back then. So unless your rig is more than 8-10 years old, there is no reason you can't run the game with the no shadow, but can't run it with the lowest shadow.

Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

that's a mid-range build for year 2008, which probably worth $300-400 now. And I believe even the min build can run the game in low settings just fine (without turning off the shadow).