carlj

Possible FPS Enhancer

I don't wanna sound like a douche,but if you have poor PC,instead of begging for higher fps and stuff,how 'bout you go and buy better PC? I've got nearly 100 fps everywhere[in svet it drops to 60[don't know why]
And i'm pretty happy :) 

Beware of BattleEye when modding/editing parameters in SA I have heard several stories about people getting global bans. The game is not optimized yet just hang tight. Reduce sky/cloud quality.

Hi guys

My Specs:

cpu: intel i7 4820k@3.7ghz

gpu: AMD Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB

RAM: 16Gigs

Mainboard is a asus z97

res is 1920*1080

on ultra high settings i got about 50 fps in open field areas, and about 20 fps in towns and citys. i mean, what the hell, i read stories about people who play at 60fps+ in villages, and if i read their specs, they often tell something about i5, 660gtx and 8 gigs ram. i dont get it, why am i not able to get this framerates on my (i think) powerful system?

please help me, i dont get it

EDIT: sysprofile link added: http://www.sysprofile.de/id184698

Edited by psylocibian

I've got a recommendation for anyone who's struggling with the shadows and is looking to get both better performance AND visuals. Turn the shadows off since they're ugly below very high, and turn ambient occlusion on.  

Hope a developer will answer this question. I don't believe it is, especially considering how easy they made it to edit these values. 

Hope a developer will answer this question. I don't believe it is, especially considering how easy they made it to edit these values. 

thats why i said before no way im editing Data files with battleeye on the lookout , without a official report on this , be good for the team to just make sliders in game for this options

thats why i said before no way im editing Data files with battleeye on the lookout , without a official report on this , be good for the team to just make sliders in game for this options

We'll I've had them edited for 2 months now... 

We'll I've had them edited for 2 months now... 

Same here !! I did it also with the mod, arma 2 itself, arma3 and DayZ SA, never had any problems it also helped me a lot ! 

Stuck in the settings as described for my i5 and gtx560 combo and it does appear a lot smoother :). I think it'll do until I double up the ram, swap in an i7 and a gtx970 ;)

K.

With launch parameters, what should I put for a FX6350? I see that you put an 8350 as 6 cores, so should I go 4 or 6 with a 6350? Bear in mind that I'll probably be recording with Mirillis Action a lot of the time I play (using AMD APP, so minimal performance hit).

Other than that, good guide. Already knew some of this, but the XP param is new to me. Might have to try that when I get home.

EDIT:

Went ahead and followed this guide.

Launch options = -nopause -nosplash -high -cpuCount=6 -exThreads=5

The config files are as you suggest. I'll not go to the trouble of listing my graphical settings in game as they make very, very little performance difference for me (though when I record I generally go to Very high on both texture options, low in the 'Objects, Terrain, Clouds etc' tab and disable almost everything in the post processing etc tab because I just dislike how they all look. I generally lose maybe 10fps running everything on the highest settings - but it's not really worth it imo.

Anyway, here are the results. Bear in mind that while taking all of these screen shots, I was recording in windowed mode with browsers, steam, iTunes, HWMonitor and a couple other programs running in the background. I have two screens on currently (my third just died :( ), one at 1366*768 and the other at 1600*1200 (this one's weird. It's not actually a 4:3 screen, but its resolutions are all 4:3. I'm not complaining, though. I play all my games in windowed and it leaves some real nice realestate).

I was using Mirillis Action to record with AMD APP (MP4), max bitrate, 60fps etc. The recording turned out absolutely perfectly, so no issues there.

I'm running my OS on my Corsair Force SSD (along with Mirillis), recording to a 2TB 7200RPM hard drive (some programs, my music and my documents are all on this drive. Music was loaded in iTunes) and playing DayZ from a dedicated 1TB 7200RPM hard drive that only has my Steam Games on it.

GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7870

CPU - AMD FX 6350 (OC'd to 4.6ghz 24/7)

Memory - 16GB of 1600mhz (OC'd from 1333) DDR3 Ram.

Cooling - Corsair H80I, 6 casefans (including the two on the Corsair Radiator) all Arctic F12's.

The game, in the wilderness and forests, was stable at 60fps (capped through VSync, assume it was a fair bit higher as it never dropped below). In that small town below Novo with the firestation, it was fairly stable at 55+. In Cherno, it never dropped below 30FPS, even when sprinting with Zombies chasing me and topped out, even in the center, at aroud 45-50FPS (whenever I took a screenshot it'd dip for half a second, making it a pain in the ass to capture.) You can see in one of the screenies that I'm sprinting at the time.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's my proof.

WUT.png

All of this while recording, as you can see in the top right of each screen shot. Not tested not recording because that doesn't matter to me. While it'll be higher, I don't really mind lower framerates (above 20 I'm happy). It's for the video.

So, I have a reasonably good computer, but it's by no means a beast. From this tutorial, I managed to get everything running real smooth. Wasn't able to try -WinXP as it'd crash before loading (after initial startup screen with DayZ logo and a loading bar). Would be really, really interesting to see what my frame rate would be like with that working though.

I'm willing to bet that, if I wasn't recording, that even in the center of Cherno my framerate would at least peak at 60fps, which is awesome.

Computer never broke 40 degrees celcius (anywhere - case, GPU or CPU) and, rather annoyingly, never passed 55% CPU usage.

I think I'ma play with scene complexity and see how it effects it. Would really like to cut down on the pop-ins that you get at 100k. I have plenty of room to work with, after all.

Edited by Beizs

OrLoK says: Thanks to carlj for the reminding us of these useful tips. Many of these work for most of the games based on variations of the engine that DAYZ Retail uses.

Be aware some may enhance OR degrade your performance. The info stems from this wiki http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

Use at your own risk.

So, step numero uno is to open Steam, right click on DayZ and choose properties and choose Launch parameters (or start up parameters, cant remember).  In there you add the following, which you fill out to fit your computer. A good thing is to start adding them one by one, to see if it helps or gets worse. 

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty(is mainly to increase the game loading speed)

-winxp NOTE Ive managed to play for a good 30 min with -winxp, and that gave me the biggest boost. a round 50-60 in the wilderness, and around 25-35 in varios cities. BUT causes crashes and "Error: Device reset failed, error 8876086c"

-high or Windows task manager > Details > Right click on DayZ > Select priorities > and select Realmtime/High.  NOTE: This might cause computer instability.

Theres also -maxMem=[your amount], -maxVRAM=[your amount(1GB=1023, 2GB=2047)], cpuCount=[your amount], -exThreads=[your amount] 

VERY important that you change these to fit your system, otherwise you wont notice any difference. 

For the mod you would change your -maxVRAM=2047 as a maximum, because the mod wouldn't support more. I.e, if you put -maxVRAM=6141, it would automatically go down to 2047.And as for a minimum you would put -maxVRAM=511.

We need confirmation on how much VRAM and maxMem the SA supports. Logically you should be able to put -maxMem=4094, as the recommended amount of Ram is 4.

Step numero dos would be to locate and open your .cfg-file as been posted on the forum before. (C:\Users\USER\Documents\DayZ) 

Changeing the values:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3

to

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1

And in the DayZProfile.cfg we can change: 

COMPUTERNAME\Documents\DayZ Other Profiles\STEAMNAME.DayZProfile.cfg:

sceneComplexity=100000;
shadowZDistance=90;
viewDistance=1600;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1600;

Remember to protect your cfg's by putting "Read-Only" in it's properties after you have made these changes. (Rightclick, Properties, General, Attributes, Check "Read-Only". Otherwise the game will overwrite some of the values with every restart of the game!

Edit: If you see anything wrong, let me know and Ill correct it!

Credit to :Wh1spY  for the DayZprofile.cfg info

Just wanted to trim that down a little bit for the feedback and as those two options I left in there are what I went with lol. Really great tips man I didn't even need to measure my fps to tell you how much better that made my game. Plus I did like the skip intro bit, didn't realize what kind of difference that would make logging in but it certainly was more streamlined after that. I set mine up with your suggested max settings for memory and vram at 4094 and so far my computer has been crushing it. I appreciate how you wrote that in a way a computer scrub like me could do it lol, granted the process of doing it isn't hard, it's the knowing what to do in the first place that I'm lost on haha