Sign in to follow this  
camycamera

how good are the zombies?

are they better, or the same as the mod?

is path finding for them better?

are they more of a threat now like they were back when zombies didn't have LOS back in the good old mod days where people would actually not KOS because of the zombie threat?

do zombies get attracted to gunshots in towns like back in the good old days without LOS and chase you out of town, where you had to kill them all?

or is it the same as the mod, or somewhere inbetween pre-LOS and the mod now?

just curious, because i really missed the good ol' days where there was not much shooting in the mod due to the zombies. i think that the reason people helped others more than they do now in the mod was due to them not having LOS, to them being relentless and not stupidly.... stupid, and actually life threatening ALL THE TIME.

and out of curiosity, do you think they'll add player zombie-fication?

say i get bit, then i die to the bite, and then at a randomised time later they will get back up as a zombie, loot and all (as an NPC ofc)? i know, an old suggestion, i just really hope that is added in to add suspense.

i have yet to buy the game yet, i need to fill up my steam wallet, i am so psyched to get back into this game again, being SA now and all gives me more hope for what it can become in the future.

Much better than  in the Mod, as of now if you got a pistol you are set as they run straight and die to 2 shots. Melee can be problematic, for melee with a single Z can easily lead to death.  I'm still trying to figure out relative effectiveness of melee weapons and items that can be used as weapons.

and out of curiosity, do you think they'll add player zombie-fication?

say i get bit, then i die to the bite, and then at a randomised time later they will get back up as a zombie, loot and all (as an NPC ofc)? i know, an old suggestion, i just really hope that is added in to add suspense.

No, the survivors are immune to the virus hence not being infected already. It isn't transmitted through bites.

• Like 1

Pathfinding is much better. The AI is clearly a lot more intelligent and the zombies will keep tracking you down if you've got them agro'ed.

• Like 1

Well I can confirm that when all you have is a Crowbar the Z's are definitely a threat. With my new shiny Axe though it's better. There isn't as many zombies in game yet as there will be and towns can hence feel quite empty... I met more on my running through the countryside than when looting one of the new Towns. I've not used a gun yet though.

But they can certainly pathfind... kind of... when you just think you've lost one it will run through the wall behind you catching you unawares. :)

Edited by NobleBrutus

Zeds are very limited in SA, they path find much better are much slower and look better Attack wise they are slower.

As for the Mod zeds i'm not sure you seem to be very confused on what they did to what they do now.

LOS and sound < original

LOS, Sound, Weapon fire Alerts < now 

• Like 2

Don't even care if there is hardly any zambies if they are actually acting like zombies more not highly intelligent serpentining flank masters

• Like 1

Zeds are kind of a mixed bag.

As others have said, pathfinding/movement is infinitely better, meaning fewer 'cheap' hits/deaths, which is the main thing, I guess.

They're still going through walls occasionally, which is frustrating (especially seeing how much damage they do now), but that was already an issue in the mod, and occasionally they have awareness issues (either spotting you through a building or not spotting you when you're stood next to them punching them in the head), but there's nothing utterly game-breaking about them.

All-in-all, I'd say right now they're probably on par with the mod, with the potential to become a lot better once the various improvements are worked in.

Don't even care if there is hardly any zambies if they are actually acting like zombies more not highly intelligent serpentining flank masters

Yes they are much better like that thank god

Zeds are an annoyance that gets in between me and my player killing.

So I am loving these stand alone zombies and their realistic slow speeds.

Lol! Like in Resident Evil, last couple of games? I haven't run into any zombies on my Alpha version yet, but hoping they are relatively slow, and more old-fashioned zombie like. Not Res 1-3 version, but not 28 days later-ish either. Your description of them sounds terrifying, considering the little time I got to play before the server connection flopped was a tiny crowbar that hardly moved when I pressed mouse button.

I think I'll just run like hell, either way.

Much better than  in the Mod, as of now if you got a pistol you are set as they run straight and die to 2 shots. Melee can be problematic, for melee with a single Z can easily lead to death.  I'm still trying to figure out relative effectiveness of melee weapons and items that can be used as weapons.

Fireaxe will kill in one hit. I've killed two alone with a single hit with my fireaxe. My first weapon was a Pipe Wrench which takes a lot more hits. In short Blunt weapons take longer. Find a knife or a sharp edged weapon like a crowbar or an axe. Hope this helps!

Live Long and Survive!

- Brandon.

Edited by brandokid25

Gotta agree much better than the mod. No more cheesing LOS tactics, their pathfinding is pretty damn good now. They are fairly easy to melee, you can circle strafe them basically.

I never played the mod, but I've been able to easily handle 1-2 zombies at a time with a fire extinguisher.  In small numbers they aren't much of a threat, even with melee weapons.

I'm suprised people think the zombies in SA are better.... blindfolds on or something?

Sure, the mod zombies don't have the smoothest of animations, but they are MINDLESS and AGGRESSIVE.  Entering into a melee fight with a zombie in the mod would more than likely result in you getting hit at least once unless you got them just right.  By contrast the SA zombies are slow and drugged, and you can completely circle straff them without incident if you are careful.  They don't drop loot and they dissappear instantly. 

Not to mention the zombies in SA are a very rare sight comparatively.  I look forward to seeing them fleshed out much more and become a proper threat.  Currently they are more of a joke/minor annoyance than they were in the mod... and thats saying something.

Edited by Entaro
  • Like 2

Well like 5 minutes ago I was chased by a zed, I ran thru a barn, she was already left behind, she was running to the last seen spot where I was, and then she notieced me again on the side of the barn, I was looking straight at her, and then she stopped, changed course towards me, thats gives you an Idea how intelligent they actually are.

• Like 1

When I was in the Cherno store, there was a female zombie which had sunken into the floor, running around at 15mph as a head biting us. Twas humorous.