Sign in to follow this  
jovial

Nighttime and metagaming

I like that, if Dean would be able to do the same thing here, it'd be a lot better.

Oh yeah...must search for answers to this. Perhaps Dean already stated that this would be implemented into DayZ in the future?

If not, I'm gonna post on Reddit...or if enyone else feels like it (don't have an account yet), feel free to go ahead. :)

Anyway, I'm absolutely amazed by the game! Great work Dean and Team! :beans:

Edited by Grabarz

I don't agree at all with 24/7 day servers or a brighter night. However I think the day/night cycle has to be shortened to allow for gamers that have full time jobs to have a chance to see the beauty and design of the game in the daylight.

I enjoyed the feel of the game in the dark but as someone with a full time job, all my low ping servers are dark when I'm not at work, after 3 or 4 hours it got a bit tiresome.

I totaly agree, I will never get to see the son, and that will push me away from the game for sure. Looting in a tall apartment building made me feel sea sick.

There is definitely a place for night but if it is all I get to play I dont think im up for it.

The main problem I see with nighttime atm is there are not enough to counter it except a poorly working flashlight. If there were chem lights,flares, or even a head lamp things would be a bit better. Also atm the US servers all seem nightime even though it is 1pm EST so.. these servers are not setup for US players because the times are way off.

I dont have any problem with the night time but, like someone said, I only play Dayz when my kids are in bed, which is around 8-9 PM. I would love to see the dayz server to be on a shorter time schedule, like a full day in dayz is 10hrs. This way, if you play around the same time every time, you will experiance different gameplay.

I didnt play much yet but I really liked the concept of the night gameplay. I personally prefer day time but still enjoy night time.

Yeah, I have to say, I think the day/night cycle should be sped up a bit. Playing at night is great fun but only for so long. also playing at dawn or dusk is great too. Unfortunately we don't get to play through those cycles if you have a job or college. It's a real downfall in my opinion. 

The most fun I had in DayZ Mod was at night running around with a flashlight. No way I want them to remove that. Just because most people are to sissy to use their flashlights, flares and chemlights.

I'd rather have people turn up their gamma than play in a night that really is just day in black and white.

I agree i think night time is fine. also if you have trouble seeing chk out the tips and fixes and turn up clouds to very high this makes is easy to get around at night even without a Flash light on, night is one of the best parts of the game IMO

It's not.

It doesn't actually give you nightvision:

First of all, even if you max out your gamma, it's still very difficult to make things out in this game because of how it renders light. It doesn't really so much let you see in the dark as see clearly in areas that are actually light.

It's actually more realistic to turn your gamma up:

IRL, your eyes adjust to low-level light at night, and depending on the ambient light level, you'd be surprised how much you can see once your eyes fully adjust to darkness. Since this sort of thing isn't actually coded into the game to show how dramatically you can see, the level of light you see when you turn your gamma ALL the way up is still BELOW that which what you could probably see realistically. People with light eyes will know what I mean.

• Like 1

You're right. Then again, if you're indoors, all the adaption of your eyes won't help you, it'll be pitch black :)

But I never turn my gamma up anyways so i don't care too much about it ;)

I don't really mind to begin with, but I hope at some point there will be servers where the gamma is set just for evening out the playfield, as some people probably won't realize the option even exists until after few night runs.

I came here specifically to try to find out whether DayZ was going to be nighttime eternal and wow, some of you are totalitarian in your gaming. "No! We play only the way I say is fun! I like pitch black night so that's all anyone can play ever and if you disagree you're a whining noob and unworthy to play standalone!" :huh: Well, fine if you like it, that's still no reason to force everyone else to play that way. There's a difference between trying to make your environment immersive and alienating the people who are supposedly going to buy your product. If servers tend to empty out at nighttime--and they always have and always will--then it means a lot of people don't find it fun to play at night. Short of handcuffing them to their computers, the options are to find out why nighttime play is not fun for a lot of people and try to fix it, or watch them leave and not come back. If you count on people who can't get enough of the pitch black night for your financial support, you're going to be very broke very quick. Every DayZ server I've ever played on loses a third or even half of its player count when it gets dark, and I'm betting all but a few of the remaining players either tweak their settings or have NVGs. You calling them pansies isn't going to make the slightest difference. 

I agree with the other people in this thread who have a day job and don't want to play nighttime DayZ until the end of time. Make some servers bound to local time and other servers with faster or opposite day/night cycles (day when it's realtime night and vice versa) so players can CHOOSE the environment they want to play in. Otherwise I, like a lot of the others in this thread, just am not going to play, and I'm certainly not going to buy the beta or the finished game. Some of us aren't the least bit bothered by the "horror" aspect of the game whether it's dark or light, so the only thing night means is that I'm annoyed that it's hard to see. Four hours of being annoyed that it's hard to see--which is how long I played last night--is a REALLY long time. 

Personally speaking, the game just isn't fun at night because it's just too dark.  With a full moon, the outside areas are playable, but interiors are virtually inaccessible in darkness even with a flashlight.  This is largely due to the way flashlights illuminate in a laser-beam-like fashion ... they just don't give off any ambient light like they would in real life so the close interiors create a lot of disorientation.

Here are my suggestions on how improve the player experience with nighttime in DayZ SA:

- increase brightness by ~25%

- add ambient lighting for flashlights/torches/etc

- fix flashlights so they don't shine through walls ... currently they illuminate the exterior of walls when you're inside -- this broadcasts your location

The way I look at it is this: when you're watching a MOVIE that portrays nighttime, the screen isn't pitch black (usually it's daytime with a night filter) because if you couldn't see anything, it wouldn't be interesting to the watcher.  Why should DayZ be any different?  In the end, this is a game and based on my observations of community feedback it looks like the majority of players don't think nighttime is fun.

I believe "night time" is new and was just introduced before SA was released.  I'm sure it will be going through different iterations before its complete.

I love playing at night but I think it needs to be balanced a bit.  Not a fan of the gamma/brightness tweak which can seem to give others an unfair advantage.  I don't use it because I like the realistic "feel" I get being in the woods when its pitch black. 

• Like 1

I dono about immersive.  It kinda defeats the purpose of them hiding loot in nooks and crannies if you can have it just automatically pop up.

except in a lot of cases especially things on shelves the "vicinity" tab will show nothing unless you're actually looking at the item

Q: Have there been any comments from the devs about locking down the Gamma/Brightness exploit for nighttime?

rocket2guns: We're going to look at A3's solution and tailor it to DayZ's needs. Right now we're focused on server performance and bugfixes. I'd expect this to be looked at after things like anti-combat logging etc... are turned back on.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t3ytf/have_there_been_any_comments_from_the_devs_about/ce42sur?context=3

Fantastic!

All you gotta do is run around aimlessly with your inventory screen open and watch things pop in and out of your vicinity column.

Nope, I like searching myself. Makes it more fun! Also certain loot won't appear in that column unless you look at it directly and some loot spawns on top of wardrobes which you must pick up via the mouse wheel.

I really don't understand how shortening the night will help much, unless it's something rather drastic, like a one hour night. otherwise if the night is 12, 6, or 3 hours long isn't going to matter much if the only time you have to play is during that time

just having offset servers seems better

The way it is now, it's not more fun to play at night, because you are lierally forced to use a high gamma setting which makes night look like shit, but you have to do that, because otherwise you'd have a huge disadvantage compared to ppl who do.

No you choose to do that. You're not forced to.

I fucking love nighttime ....nothing better that seeing someone using a torch and you thinking to yourself hes a fucking dead man lol and you hatchet them in the face for making the fatal mistake of using one :D

Edited by Massicor

again I plug arma 3...

they could have simply used arma 3 night time mechanic and everything would be amazing...

night time is ballz and at this point its more like being forced to play night time.

give us option at least.

give us an indicator on which servers are night and day

again I plug arma 3...

they could have simply used arma 3 night time mechanic and everything would be amazing...

night time is ballz and at this point its more like being forced to play night time.

give us option at least.

give us an indicator on which servers are night and day

I agree. Using Arma 3's nighttime mechanic, and Aiming/Mouse mechanic is Essential to make this a serious game.

With the current aiming mechanics it is a joke to control the aim.

Night time is only fun when you are well geard. Being a freshspawn at night is not fun and the no loot thing only makes it worse.

I would use my flashlight if it didnt clip through EVERY WALL it encounters. There's nothing sissy about avoiding certain death because that windowless room I'm using my flashlight in is showcasing my location like a Ford dealership...