Sign in to follow this  
LiptonTea

Are there any veterans that can offer some advice ?

I'm very new to the game and I read some guides and watched some youtube videos before hand to prepare myself as I knew it would be a hard game to get into.

can anyone offer some advice ? I seem to die a lot or respawn out of desperation of not finding anything. The rare occasions where I do find something turn out to be frustrating x3 !

#1 Found a boat near Krutoy Cap (I think?) and as I approached the boat I saw a survivor dead so I immediately hid, after 10 m waiting and watching I took the boat and man I was happy ! Though there wasn't much gas left so I decided to moor in Solnichy harbor to look for some gas, the moment I leave the boat I spot 2 armed survivors and I ran to the boat but unfortunately they spotted me and shot me and took the boat for themselves. I wasn't mad since I had just spawned.

#2 I ran immediately inland as soon as I spawned, after wandering through the woods I found a deer hut with 3 soldier zombies guarding it, I managed to sneak in and surprise surprise ! I found an AKM and a M16 *w* and some magazine that resembled the ones for ak's ! :D turned into >:C when I found out the ammo is just for ak47 then my face turned into .-_. when I heard the zombies gathering around the hut and then I was x~x (dead)

#3 I sneaked through the woods until I found a barn, surely there must be something in I thought ! 1 hatchet ! cool ! 2 hatchets... 3 hatchets...... 4 hatchets.... 5 HATCHETS you're trolling me right ?? ;__;, and then a zombie came in and I was dead. Unfortunately a hatchet isn't the same as an axe.

#4 I found an armed survivor in the woods and having nothing on me except a bandage I took my chances and said hello, he approached and kept his gun pointed at me, and I was like "hey ! friendly? do you mind pointing the gun in another direction ?" and he went quiet...and I started to become nervous and strangest thing there was a warning in my screen 'open alice pack' and I was... his alice pack ? so I opened it and took the gun he was holding (wtf?) and he was confused as I was and I thought he was going to kill me so I shot him... and then his friend shot me in the back :x

* So I really try to be friendly and I love going through the woods but the game is proving to be very difficult to me, I normally like mobas, strategy, adventure games and fps\survival is new to me, it there any advice you can give me to be better at this game ? Thank you in advance

Well, this game is really hard after the latest patch, find people to play with..you prolly wont survive alone.

Familiarize yourself with the map. Go into single player and explore the hell out of it. When you are finished and have a pretty good idea about how to navigate the map, FIND A TENT. Find a tent and establish in a well hidden area your new camp. This will serve as a base of operations. At first store anything and everything you can in the tent.

Take into account your supplies, if you know what buildings spawns what, that will make finding certain supplies much easier.

You see a player, shoot on sight, reason for this: 9/10 players have a shoot on sight policy, therefore you are more likely to run into hostiles than friendlies. I've survived much longer with this policy than trying to be friendly.

My advice would be to head north.

After spawning your first priority is to head away from the coast, everyone spawns on the coast, and some people like to stick around with weapons and camp. Although this method is not practical for bandits anymore, since we dont spawn with anything useful, it fulfills there stupid desire to "win" DayZ.

After leaving the coast, you want to find a small town and loot it for food/water, and possibly something to protect yourself with. Zombies are a real threat now, so avoid them at all cost!

Your next step is to survive, Collect more food, water, ammo, and gear so you can survive the nights (Logging out, then logging back in without food/water is a death sentence.)

Optional: Find a friend to play with, use TeamSpeak, SteamChat, or some other communication method that allows you to play and talk at the same time, this is great when spotting players, you can let your group know immediately.

Please note: This mod is still in Alpha, meaning TONS of bugs, glitches, testing features, and character resets/wipes. If something happens that shouldent have, post a report in the bug report thread.

Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll try to stay away from people now on.

I didn't meant to steal his weapon, but I'm glad I did since it was obvious he was going to murder me, but what was awkward was that he was facing me and I took the gun he was holding out of his backpack which was away from me in his...well back.

Thanks a lot for the advice' date=' I'll try to stay away from people now on.

I didn't meant to steal his weapon, but I'm glad I did since it was obvious he was going to murder me, but what was awkward was that he was facing me and I took the gun he was holding out of his backpack which was away from me in his...well back.

[/quote']

I think he was just being cautious. If he and his friend were intent on murder they probably would've killed you a lot earlier. That being said, I would avoid random players entirely for the best chance of survival.

1. Upgrade to 1.7.1.5 if you haven't already - zombie argo will be better on this build.

2. if you see any buildings, don't go any faster then a crouch sprint. Even buildings in the middle of the wilderness spawn zombies, and the full standing spring will draw them from 100 meters visual and 65 meters audio (or so Rocket says).

3. If you see zombies crouch sprint, crouch walk or go totally prone - you'll get a feel for the distances you can be before you will argo in each mode - best way to figure that out is trial and error. keep in mind that at night your visual argo will be much lower, so you can crouch sprint or crouch walk a lot closer then during the day (still would not recommend standing sprinting in site of buildings or zombies.).

4. get a map - this one seems ok http://dayzmap.info/

5. Know where you are and have a plan of attack. Personally, I like to stock up on some liquids and beans on the coast then head north as soon as possible. When you spawn your general location will appear BRIEFLY in the lower right hand corner (don't miss it - it comes up in first 5-10 seconds upon log in). Identify where you are, what town you need to raid and which buildings are searchable. Get some basic supplies and head north.

6. Personally, I like hitting up smaller towns inland for basics (hunting knife, hatchet, matches and compass are my 4 top priorities so I can kill animals and eat them, as well as navigating, Binocs also come in handy), and search deer stands for military grade weaponry. Deer stands are marked on that map I linked (they are orange - there are 4 of them below the air strip by Balota on the coast, for example).

7. If you want to make friends get a microphone and find a server that broadcasts their teamspeak/mumble/whatever and join it. Other players are surprisingly hostile in game, but surprisingly friendly and accommodating when you actually talk to them. Worse case it makes the runs between points of interest a lot more fun when you are talking to others.

8. Turn off the music - music is surprisingly good, but it also interferes with the crucial ability of hearing Zeds (and other players!)

By targeting smaller towns to get geared up with survival gear and med supplies, and hitting up deer stands for military weapons, some better tools (have found GPS in them before) and med supplies you can have avoid the bigger crowds while you get geared up, get a feel for the game and explore the map. Obviously the best gear is going to be at NWA, military camps at Stary and Berinzo, etc, but I recommend only going there if you got a friend or two.

Most important thing is to keep an open mind and have fun - this is still an experiment, and just because you don't like one update doesn't mean that is the way it's going to be forever, and will very likely change within a couple of days.

i agree with the others about getting a mic and talking to other players to hopefully form a companionship. make sure you see them but they dont see you (very important, you want the upper hand) most players will kill you for fear of death themselves but if you can show that you could kill them and havent yet they might just trust you. i suggest this for the first hour or so, usually once i get my inventory full of what i want (compass, map, matches, hatchet, hunting knife, weapon w/ ammo, binocs, frank and beans) i become even more weary of other players because theres something worth losing at this point (still dont care if you die even at this point, its going to happen, alot) its still a big let down when a player you fully intend on teaming up with kills you at first sight, so avoid or kill if you have any sort of suspicion they are making a move to kill, cause most will. that is what makes it fun and unrelenting though. ive had too many times where we are staring eachother down and the other person isnt responding and its mostly wait for some one to make the first move (

in my case its usually them)

all in all have fun, cause it is fun

Here's what I have learned from 50+ hours of playing. I do play with friends, about 6 of them, but they tend to die often which in turn gets me killed. I started to play alone a bit, because they also seem to want to go to Cherno where shit usually hits the fan. So i became a lone warrior to get geared and settled in the game. I headed north. Spawned at Otmel and went inland. Found gear, only saw about 5 zombies, got mad food, water, guns, ammo, never saw a player. I'm too tired of spawning and going to main cities when you first start. I now trust no one, since I've been effed over SO many times. Now I shoot on sight, besides at my friends. I only killed one of them once, and it was completely by accident.

Just a quick update on my situation.

I followed the advice you guys gave me, the game is becoming easier however I have one complaint, just one !

In the time I've played the game I've found 1 boat and 3 cars but not a single weapon other than those in the deer hut which had no ammo. I'm currently inside the power plant in cherno (?) the church didn't have anything at all.

thanks for the advice again !

If you can get to a fire station you will generally find decent military weapons. The station is a distinct, grey-whitish building with a rectangular tower rising from one end. There are usually people around/in it, so I would be very cautious. If you want to play it safe, find an outlying farm and there may be a common weapon like a shotgun or a crossbow.

If you can get to a fire station you will generally find decent military weapons. The station is a distinct' date=' grey-whitish building with a rectangular tower rising from one end. There are usually people around/in it, so I would be very cautious. If you want to play it safe, find an outlying farm and there may be a common weapon like a shotgun or a crossbow.

[/quote']

Yes...send the noob to a fire station, I'm sure that will end well.

Actually anyone who steals another players own gun and then shoots him with should probably be giving us advice hahaha!!!!

#4 I found an armed survivor in the woods and having nothing on me except a bandage I took my chances and said hello' date=' he approached and kept his gun pointed at me, and I was like "hey ! friendly? do you mind pointing the gun in another direction ?" and he went quiet...and I started to become nervous and strangest thing there was a warning in my screen 'open alice pack' and I was... his alice pack ? so I opened it and took the gun he was holding (wtf?) and he was confused as I was and I thought he was going to kill me so I shot him... and then his friend shot me in the back :x

[/quote']

This is completely and utterly awesome.

1. play,play a lot and get a feeling for the places where loot spawns.Try to get basic euipment in domestic spawns (houses & supermarkets for example) and move on to deerstands and firestations (military loot).

2.Do not say "im friendly" and act hostile afterwards (like going into peoples backpack and taking what looks shiny & nice)

3.If you are not a 12yo girl,do not write like one

The grocery store in Cherno is typically a decent place to stock up on weapons, food, drink and it is surprisingly desolate. The nearby firehouse tends to draw all the bandits, not to mention the residential park north of their with the med station which seems to be a constant warzone. I typically get to the grocery store and get the hell out of town. Cherno is a great place to be if you want a bullet in the back.

Elektro has the fire station on the north east edge of town, I like to jump in there then get the hell out of there as fast as possible, as I find navigating Elektro much more dangerous than Cherno.

My favorite place to spawn is Balota. North of the airstrip is the air controller tower. If you approach that from the north, get in and then get the hell out (skip the hangars they are too exposed), you can get some good kit.

If I spawn in Kamenka I hit the deer stands north of town and then head to Pavlovo for my basic loot. North of that is Zeleno which is a great town for scavenging. I typically stick around there until I get kitted out. The grocery store there has been phenomenal for me. There is also the lumber mill and farms nearby and a deer stand just south of town. This is my favorite place in the game to scavenge. You just have to be a little careful you do get bandits roaming through the area as they head north. With the deer stands south of there and green mountain northeast, some bandits tend to sweep through on their way to the air field.

Advice?

Dont give two fucks if you die. Keep roaming the coast until you learn how to play well.

Also dont sneak/prone EVERYWHERE. I see so many new players thinking they need to be sneaky 100% of the time; this often leads to their demise.

Best advice for a new player will be "do not try to survive +200h in your first life". Try to learn the basic of the game and the map before. and don't be too attached with your stuff. Then, don't bother going into cherno/electro, you'll die 9/10 times. Go north, there's lot of cities with very good loots/food/weapons, and there's very few players inland, so less dying possibility! :D

My advice would be, do go into Cherno and Electro and experience them for yourself, especially at night as it is TENSE. Wander about looting stuff, learn the layouts, shoot zombies and find yourself under siege in a building, get killed, kill, have a go at communicating with other survivors. Then eventually if you can sneak around and loot enough stuff to survive, you are ready to wander further north.

lol, holy shit.. #4 for president.

Though it does raise a good point. That needs to be specified since it can really confusing to new guys.

I dunno if rocket can do anything about it because I think its an engine thing but suggestion forum ahoy.

[OP: get a microphone dude, seriously.]

3 ways you can play :

1. Suvivor.

Get some friends ! RL or Via forum. Makes alot of fun and you reach alot. (killing others to protect the group if necessary)

2. Lone Wolf

Avoid other Suvivors by going around them. (If really necessary kill them. But only if necessary) Played as a lonewolf for a long time..made a lot of fun. And it was really interesting to see how i became slowly paranoid. (Survived 3 Weeks)

3.Bandit.

You can be a lonly one or a get a group.

Kill people for loot (dont get a asshole killing people for fun, even if they got no weapon..) Have to say..never played as a bandit. There where sometimes where i wanted to. But when it came to kill somebody, i didnt.

well ,I think you had fun, did you?

in this game, somehow you will just eventually die.. even if you have a lot of good gears and a bunch of friends. you can't be prepared for everything.

just have fun. make your own story~ no matter how short it will be.

bring along some friends, you will certainly have more fun