Sign in to follow this  
Insannik

"Receiving" screen in the middle of gameplay?

Hello there,

Me and a friend play DayZ for about 2 days now.. He's new to the game and I'm trying to learn him how to play.

So far we tried panthera, taviana and chernarus and he always gets the same problem.

Somewhere, at a random time, he just gets a black screen that says "Receiving" and it just stays there forever until he closes the game and restarts.

He knows he only has 4GB of RAM and so he tried using a gamebooster and closing all programs.. Eventually the game takes 2.7GB at the lowest graph settings so he should be able to run it no problem.

So I don't think this is the problem. Does anyone of you know a possible fix for this problem? It would help us out a lot.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

--Insannik.

P.S. Also please note that he does not experience any FPS drops but the game just randomly starts receiving..

Edited by Insannik

This happened to me once when I was trying out different memory allocators. I'm not sure about this at all but what I think happens is this: the engine falls so far behind with streaming data from the hard drive that it needs to halt rendering in order to catch up.

One thing he could try is defragmenting his hard drive. I understand a RAM-disk is out of the question, if he has the means to get an SSD that would have the same effect.

What are his system specs?

He has an SSD. The game was originally on his SSD without him knowing about it. He changed it to his normal hard drive because he had the problem.

So, even though it was on the SSD he still had the same problems..

Defragmenting his hard drive shouldn't help since he had the same problem with the SSD. :(

I hope so as well.. So basically if anybody reads this and knows what to do about it please let me know so we can fix this problem and so he can enjoy the game :)

Thanks again :)

Hey Insannik

Look most likely nothing to do with your hardware or settings (but if you could post your dxdiag I would appreciate). Now I need to know :

You got Arma on steam ?

Or is it a Hard Copy ?

Best Regards

Icanfish

Edited by icanfish

My friend has steam copy.. I think he runs the game with steam open but I'm not sure.

I'll tell him to run it without steam.

Alright tell your friend to try this out :

On steam :

Right click on Arma 2 / Properties / Local Files / Verify Integrity of game cache / Wait a couple of minute - If there is any file missing steam will download it back and fix it .

Do this for every arma 2 expansion too.

Tell him to try this out then report back :) 

Hope it works

Best Regards 

Icanfish

• Like 1

We tried what Icanfish told us.

I also told him to go into his documents and change the GPU_MaxFramesAhead and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead to "1".

We are currently testing, I'll keep you guys updated if we got some results.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Hello again,

We still have the same problem. We decided to place the game on his SSD.

Now there's a new problem. Since the game was bought on steam it's in his steam folder. We dragged the folders "arma2" and "arma2OA" out of the steamapps/common folder and placed it on his SSD.

Now dayz commander fails to find the mod itself. I tried manually opening both games and then restarting.. Nothing helps. 

Then I launched arma2OA and activated the mod itself under "expansions". When trying to join a server. It says "failed to initialize battleEye".

Does anyone know how to get the game to work from his SSD?

Thanks again

Greetz