Sign in to follow this  
s1rGr1nG0

Difference between the various flavors?

I've been playing less than a week now. I play primarily vanilla but I have been on Epoch a few times as well. My personal preference is vanilla because I think starting out with basically nothing and scavenging for supplies seems more appropriate. I'm curious though, what's the difference in the various flavors, (i.e. vanilla, Epoch, Origins, etc...)

• Like 1

Flavors? You must mean mods.

Vanilla of course is the stock DayZ.

The others are modded in some way. Epoch for example has base building. It's very popular right now.

Just hit them up on Google. I'm sure that will help.

Depends. Some add small adjustments, then you got mods like Panthera, and Namalsk (there is many more) that add a whole new map. You'll just have to research some, or install them and try them out for yourself. 

Oh ok, thanks guys. I was just curious. I don't stay alive long enough, or have enough gear, to worry about building a base. ;)

Vanilla = best, in my opinion. Most of the annoying little KoS kiddies have moved off to Overwatch/Epoc/Etc due to the REDICULOUS and ungodly amount of scripts (self bloodbag, auto refuel, et cetera).

The only not vanilla I can recommend is Namalsk, which is a fun map unto itself, but good luck finding a good server on it that isn't plagued with the aforementioned trouble of too many stupid scripts making it take 500 hours to load into a server. >.>

(oh and I guess Panthera is a good map to mention, but like I said, good luck finding a half-decent server for it)

The trader system introduced in the other "flavors" is an entirely rediculous concept in that players should be forced to trade with EACH OTHER, instead of sitting in stupid god mode zones magically turning a bar of a gold and a M4 into a Vodnik. (If you DO play on a server with traders, however, BUY A VODNIK. THEY ARE INVINCIBLE)

• Like 1

Hello there

Check my sig for details :)

Rgds

LoK

The trader system introduced in the other "flavors" is an entirely rediculous concept in that players should be forced to trade with EACH OTHER, instead of sitting in stupid god mode zones magically turning a bar of a gold and a M4 into a Vodnik. (If you DO play on a server with traders, however, BUY A VODNIK. THEY ARE INVINCIBLE)

Still going to be a dumbass about this no matter how many times someone has told you that the God Mode Zones are not an actual feature of Epoch, huh? Like many you fear something without ever bothering to actually find out real facts about it. Enjoy your ignorance but please stop spreading it.

On topic:

There are too many different mods of this mod to give you accurate answers on all of them. I'll hit the three I have played more than others.

Breaking Point - LOTS OF GUNS. No seriously there are almost too many guns in this mod. It also has Bloodsuckers. Most major loot spots have a Bloodsucker that spawns in the area and the longer you are in the area the greater chance it will spawn. It will hunt you down to the ends of the earth and is tough. Last time I played they were still rather buggy and I was killed in a chopper because one attacked my friend on the ground and the damage applied to me somehow. This mod really is a bit more PVP set up as guns are easy to find as are multiple types of Ghillie suits and armed vehicles. There are placed that spawn military loot but no zombies making finding decent guns fairly easy... once you have a chopper. They have Hive servers like Vanilla

Epoch - Private servers which means that the owners can add whatever they want so a good deal of them are Self Blood Bag 1000+ vehicles but if you find a good one without all that crap it can be just as hard as Vanilla. The nice things are that you can actually reasonable store some items. At times I think they went too far but in general you can't store too much. They have put a lot of thought into causing you to want to interact with something other than other players and military spawn points. 

Origins - Whole new map. You can construct player housing which is the same for everyone and isn't easy to break into. There is also a background story to it if you did want to explore that. Wandering AI helicopters fly patterns over parts of the map and will kill you... trust me on this. Zombies are a bit harder and take much more damage from head shots. It has a "leveling" system based of humanity which can be rewarding and frustrating all at the same time. There is an AI island with some of the best loot in the game but you basically need to assault it as a squad to get anywhere.

Were I you I would play Vanilla. If you start to grow bored with that then try a different flavor and don't be afraid to come back to vanilla as it might be fresh again after trying something a bit different.

Flavors? You must mean mods.

Vanilla of course is the stock DayZ.

The others are modded in some way. Epoch for example has base building. It's very popular right now.

Just hit them up on Google. I'm sure that will help.

Stock? You must mean original DayZ, ohh look, I can be pedantic too!

Still going to be a dumbass about this

Wow. Professional. :)

Regardless of it being an official feature, the OP would be hard pressed to find a server without it. Regardless of whether the mod officially supports it or not, the community laps it up. Thusly, it IS still worth noting.

Wow. Professional. :)

Regardless of it being an official feature, the OP would be hard pressed to find a server without it. Regardless of whether the mod officially supports it or not, the community laps it up. Thusly, it IS still worth noting.

Kinda like how  you might be hard pressed to find a private DayZ Vanilla server without Self Bloodbag? So obviously when I talk about Vanilla I should mention how lame it is that Vanilla has Self Bloodbags. 

The OFFICIAL Epoch Servers and many non-official do not have "Safe Zones".