beatup86

hey everyone

Hi there, just downloaded Dayz and finally got it to work. so ive been playing for a few hours, and lemme say, im completely confused. ive only died a couple times, but I cant seem to find anything, or know where im going. ive been reading/watching guides on this site and they have helped. ive played online games in the past, but its really odd playing something online and not knowing anyone or having any friends that play this as well. just thought id say hi.

• Like 2

Enjoy this time, you will miss it once it's gone.

• Like 4

Hey there,

Many people come to DayZ for that very same feeling; knowing nobody and nothing, piecing together knowledge and relationships. My personal advice would be to relish it.

However, if you're looking to bypass some or all of that, you can use the DayZDB map to find loot spots, and we have a Survivor HQ if you're looking for a group of friendlies (Or Bandit Campfire if you're after some not-so-friendlies).

And of course, the forums are here specifically for you to find out what you need to know. If you have a question about the game that hasn't been answered yet, feel free to ask and you will receive input from all different varieties of survivors. You can also PM me if you have any questions, problems, or just want to say hi.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 2

the only pointer I will give you now, as to not ruin the new experience is once you spawn on the road that runs along the coast follow it one way or another the big cities are all on it, try to memorize the places around that road, It will help Immensly in learning the map and finding towns.

if you find a roadsign saying 'Орловец' (Orlovec) - panic :) as a new player mid-last year seeing this sign seemed to always be a harbinger of my characters death. god i love that village

Hahaha now I need a bike. Thanks for all the input and friendly intros. I'll see what happens in the next few days on the game and let you guys know. But on another note I hope everyone has a wonderful thanksgiving!!

You should definitely play the Vanilla servers first, and get that good ol' experience, instead of joining the servers that like to baby you and give you guns and crap. :)

And do I just type vanilla in the dayz commander search bar or how do I know it's a vanilla server

Welcome to the forums, Beatup.  Ask if you've any more questions. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sula

Hey All,

I just bought this game today "steam sale" and i literally have NO IDEA what its about besides it being a zombie survival game.  

What i have heard, "Its really fun and realistic" and "Dont trust anybody" lol.  What i really want to know is whats bad about the game?  Are there any terrible game breaking bugs or things i should know about as a newbie??

Do we just run around as people avoiding zombies and well armed players trying to survive?

Who are bandits?

Do you start with a weapon?  Are there more realistic servers and more gamey ones?  I love realism so I'd like to find all my necessities that enable me to survive in a zombie world.  

Are there any nice players out there?  

Check out this pinned thread, it has everything you need to know.

Most importantly, this written guide and these videos, if you prefer that. Some of it has to be outdated by now, but I'm sure most of it is still accurate and important to know.

But what I'd honestly really suggest is doing the basic tutorials of Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead (you know, the games you actually bought :P ) to cover the fundamentals of controls like movement, inventory management and using a weapon. Other than that, you can discover and learn everything you need to know by playing the mod and experiencing it for yourself. :)

They've fixed a lot of bugs over the past year and a half, so a lot of the prior threads in this forums will probably give you a lot of misinformation.  I'll give you just a couple basic tips that should help you avoid a lot of frustrations as a first time player.

-If you try to put an item in your backpack and the backpack is full, the item will be destroyed.

-Sometimes, dropping a backpack on the ground will cause it to disappear, If you have a backpack with stuff in it, and come across a new one, "open" the new backpack and move everything from the old backpack to the new one, then drop the old one and pick up the new one.

-Zombies can, and will, glitch through walls and hit you if you're right on the other side of the wall.

-Pressing "V" vaults you over a fence or other low object, however trying to "climb" onto rocks, stacked pipes, etc. by pressing "v" will sometimes get you stuck in a rock and break your leg.

-You can drive a vehicle/ride a bike with a broken leg. This is extremely helpful if you don't have morphine.

-Server lag can cause a bit of delay between shooting someone and having them die.  If you need to shoot a player or zombie, Light them the fuck up and then get back behind cover. It sucks to trade deaths.

I'll post other things if I think about 'em

I still play Vanilla, send me a PM or add me to your steam friends list: "Pyro4688" if you're looking for anyone to play with.

Edit: Welcome to Chernarus!

Edited by TheLastEmp

But what I'd honestly really suggest is doing the basic tutorials of Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead (you know, the games you actually bought :P ) to cover the fundamentals of controls like movement, inventory management and using a weapon. Other than that, you can discover and learn everything you need to know by playing the mod and experiencing it for yourself. :)

Honestly, that right there is the best advice.  I dunno if I'd watch too many youtube videos and such as I fell like it takes away from the adrenaline of initially just trying to survive.

XHZQqiH.jpg

Welcome and have fun!

I think I may just have to save this screeny

well thank you for all the input, I played for a while last night, got some good gear, then I think the server was hacked cause everyone lost all their gear and died at the same time. It was odd. but yea anyway thanks its helped, and the game was really really fun last night. now I just gotta not die lol

I think the server was hacked cause everyone lost all their gear and died at the same time. It was odd.

That still happens from time to time, don't let it discourage you. Trust me, it used to be much worse in the beginning. If it occurs repeatedly, try to check out a different server.

the game was really really fun last night. now I just gotta not die lol

Cool, have fun! And don't get attached to your gear too much. ;)

Edited by Tempus

I downloaded DayZ Commander and did exactly what the picture showed, No servers :/

I downloaded DayZ Commander and did exactly what the picture showed, No servers :/

You need to have the latest dayz patch and Arma II beta patch downloaded.  That and refresh all servers.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon
  • Like 1

Wow my friends... WOW.. I think i had the most amazing gaming experience of my life playing this game.I finally found a good Hive server with lots of friendly people and good action.  I cant believe how attached  i am to my current character.  He has gone from a fledgling survivor to thriving in an apocalyptic world.  He has survived zombie attacks, bleeding wounds, snipers, city battles, and starvation.  

A few things however,  HOW DO I CHAT ON THE SERVER!?!!? The "/" key doesnt seem to work, it doesnt chat globally and has a different color then the global chat.  

Is there a way to holster your weapons?  I dont always want them out...

I wish you could fill your canteen with Rain water.  

How do i work the flashflight?  Doesnt say in the key bindings.  

Cant think of anymore right now since i am excited to find a hospital and get my character back to healthy.  

::sniped shortly after this message :(::  

Edited by Tmerc44