bloodwarrior99

Oh Look! We've Got Another One!

I am not entirely new, but I have still much to learn. I know most of what is needed to know statistically but I would like to know what other people have as advice goes. Because I am not very good a surviving. My average life on most of my characters have been about 3 hours, but I die in very stupid ways (e.g.: attracting a zombie horde, trying to run but just end up dying of hunger, thirst, etc). If you have any advice, I don't care what it's about as long as it is relating to DayZ.

Thank you and hope to see you on a server,

unless you shoot me in the back of the head of course. 

• Like 2

attracting a zombie horde, trying to run but just end up dying of hunger, thirst, etc

Lose the zombies by running through the forests. Try to get off the coast as quickly as possible. The loot is nice but the risk is too high to stay.

• Like 2

Always carry at least one drink and one food item with you. Preferably two if you travel. I've died one too many times of thirst. Hunger is usually less of a problem, but you might need food to get some blood back. After spawn, when you got nothing to loose, rush through high loot areas. then wander off into the cover of the forrest. Don't travell without means of self defence. When choosing a gun, make sure it's ammo is available enough. I personally stick with the enfield. The perfect mix between a sniper and an assault rifle. Only the M14 is better, although the enfields ammo can be found everywhere.

• Like 1

If you are alone and new then your best bet is to avoid large cities... for now.

What I had success doing when I would die in larger cities. I would avoid cities altogether. 

Try and find a long barn that is away from large clusters of buildings. If you agro zombies they will enter the barn and walk very slowly towards you and you can usually pick up a few items and move through to the other side. Heck if you only have 1 or two zombies you can often run passed them by getting them to walk close to one side and circling around them. What you can find in the barn are things like Shotguns, Lee Enfields, Hatchets. These will give you a way to deal with zombies. The melee weapon is the most important. You might also find food/drink/bandages and you will need those. 

Once you have a melee weapon you can hit places like "castles" Rog and Zub. Those will get you more food and drink and maybe a backpack. You might find matches/compass/map and such if you get lucky. You want a melee weapon because you should be able to sneak past most of the zombies and into the tower then move up through the floors looting. Zombies will often keep spawning though and if you fire a gun... you WILL get trapped in the tower. So quietly take out the zombies that follow you into the tower and loot then sneak back out. 

The rifle/shotgun comes in hand for Deerstands. Find one out in the wilderness with lower traffic. Know how loud your gun is and fire from far enough away that you can hit what you are shooting at but won't agro the other zombies that might be with it. You can clear out the 1-3 zeds that might spawn near a deerstand and then loot it. If you end up good at sneaking you can often wait until they move away, sneak up into it, loot, and get away but you will want to wait until they are a good distance away and NOT LOOKING at the deerstand or you will agro them on the ladder. I don't advise trying to melee zombies out in the open they are too squirrely for that often running up to your side instead of to your face so you miss swings as they close. 

Deerstands have few loot spawns but higher chances of getting something like matches/map/compass. 

Then once you are comfortable at clearing out zombies because you have practiced in those more out of the way places you might be able to start hitting towns. Start with some place that is not a big city but has a supermarket: Pustoshka, Zelenagorsk(although this is approaching a larger city scenario), Vybor(little higher traffic), Polana, and Krasnostav. These will give you more low level guns, backpacks, food and drink, tools. Also practice on moving around in a city and avoiding/losing zombie agro. 

Polana might be a good choice because there is an enterable residential building as well as a long barn and once you are done you can head SE and hit "the factory" off the road there. That can give you some experience sneaking in and out as well although there won't be a ton there you will need without having a vehicle. Even so you can get ammo/food/tools here as well. Krasnostav wouldn't be a bad choice either because if you are comfortable with that you can then head to the North East Airfield and try your luck in the control tower. 

From there Berinzino will give you a taste of what Cherno and Elektro are like, you might run into a player, you will be surrounded by zombies and need to shake them by using buildings. You can learn what the "corner bistro" looks like and is laid out and how to deal with a horde of zombies following you into one(avoid this). You can raid the Hospital there by breaking out the windows. There is also the school/office building with it's multiple levels and you can learn how to lose zombies in it and it's layout. These will all help you figure out how to navigate Cherno/Elektro. Berinzino also has some military tents which can net you a better gun or other gear if you get lucky. 

The main point is start small. Find isolated buildings you can enter like barns to learn how zombies move inside. Go to deerstands where you only have to deal with a couple zombies at a time and can fire a gun without drawing a ton of them onto you but you are forced to deal with them outside. Then learn the layouts of building in smaller areas with less zombies and players and work your way up.

• Like 6

There are multiple tips for multiple playstyles.

For example, to survive in the woods you need canteens (the more the merrier), hunting knife, matches, a hatchet and an empty tin can. You can refill canteens in lakes, wells, dams. Then you have to gather wood, make a fireplace, light a fire and boil all the water in your canteens with the assistance of the empty tin can in order to avoid infection from said water. Same goes for food, look for boars in the woods, and cows, sheep, goats, etc in open fields. One hit with the hatchet, they're down. Proceed to gutting them (need a knife for that) collect the raw meat, make a fire again, cook said meat, eat and store in backpack.

As for zeds, you do need a melee weapon, hatchet seems to be the most effective, and buildings with multiple exits. Never corner yourself into a one way in/out building with a horde behind you. Hit them one at a time, taking small steps backwards so they don't hit you back. Of course you can always shoot them, but I never do that. First shots will atract more of them, second other players in the area will also be aware of your position and may proceed to hunt you down, and third there's no reason to waste your ammo if it's not a matter of life and death.

And obviously don't just run around the map like a mad man. Always plan your routes accordingly to your needs/goals.

• Like 3

Mercules pretty much covers it.  Just don't bite off more than you can chew, no matter how tempting Cherno, Elektro, Starry and NWAF sound.

With how spawns work, you can find food and drink litterally everywhere.

Learn the importance of recon.  Find a good view of where you want to loot, plan out where you want to go, how you'll get therea, and plan an exfil.

Finally, learn from your mistakes.  If you died to a horde gone south, figure out what led to that and how it could've been avoided or dealt with.  Your deaths are your best lessons.

• Like 1

Mercules pretty much covers it.  Just don't bite off more than you can chew, no matter how tempting Cherno, Elektro, Starry and NWAF sound.

With how spawns work, you can find food and drink litterally everywhere.

Learn the importance of recon.  Find a good view of where you want to loot, plan out where you want to go, how you'll get therea, and plan an exfil.

Finally, learn from your mistakes.  If you died to a horde gone south, figure out what led to that and how it could've been avoided or dealt with.  Your deaths are your best lessons.

Note: Your death are not always your best lesson. Example, dying by bandit doesn't mean to avoid that place, that person, and those zombies. It's just a warning.

Note: Your death are not always your best lesson. Example, dying by bandit doesn't mean to avoid that place, that person, and those zombies. It's just a warning.

If you died to a bandit that means you did something that put yourself in danger and/or you didn't have the PvP skill to react accordingly.  You can learn from every mistake, no exceptions.

I am not entirely new, but I have still much to learn. I know most of what is needed to know statistically but I would like to know what other people have as advice goes. Because I am not very good a surviving. My average life on most of my characters have been about 3 hours, but I die in very stupid ways (e.g.: attracting a zombie horde, trying to run but just end up dying of hunger, thirst, etc). If you have any advice, I don't care what it's about as long as it is relating to DayZ.

Thank you and hope to see you on a server,

unless you shoot me in the back of the head of course. 

Welcome to teh game mate, love seeing posts like this as it puts faith back into the game that it's still the awesome and unique , brutal zom-survival title it set out to be! Stick withthe game and you will soon develop your own techniques and stratergies to surviving longer but you will still die in horrible, brutal and silly ways! Ive been playing well over a year and I still die in shitty ways (i literally ran off a roof the other day! lol).

Keep on enjoing this mod, even after ful release!

• Like 1

Wherever you spawn, run up the coast keeping the water on your right. That way you will always reach a town eventually.  That means chances for food and drink and bigger back packs, weapons and medical supplies etc.  Pick up whatever provisions you find - better to have too much than too little.

Don't put primary weapons in small backpacks of 8 spaces - primaries are 10 slots so they disappear and are lost if you try to put one in smaller backpacks.

Find a map and compass in shops, cafes, train stations etc.  Look for fire stations for weapons and I find a lot of hand guns in those enterable train stations too.

Sneak to avoid zombies, though I find the latest update has them too sensitive for the living dead.

Of course, if you're on a busy server then you're going to be playing an entirely different game.  PvP will mean you'll end up dead quickly when some kid shoots you because you're a number and he wants to increase his kills as that's what gaming is about for him.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the help you gave me. This has actually helped me out a lot and I can't thank you enough.

• Like 2