Sign in to follow this  
schrapple

Variable zombie speed?

What if the speed of zombies was adjusted (slightly) by the density of zombies in game. So if you are facing 2 or 3 zombies in the area they are very quick and still dangerous, but when you have a massive horde near you they slow slightly so you can put up a decent fight. I think this would help level out the difficulty of the game a bit, every situation involving zombies would be dangerous instead of the situation we have now, where some situation are laughable and others are basically suicidal.

Would also help level out game difficulty between players since the spawn rates of zeds are now varied depending on the FPS of the players machine. Would make it less of a disadvantage to have good FPS.

*Disclaimers 

1. This is not an attempt to change the overall difficulty of the game, I do not wish to slow every zed ( I actually want to make some faster), this is just a balance adjustment, the end game would still be just as hard as it is now.

2. Obviously this system would require some testing and fine tuning to get the balance correct, if you are imagining the effect this would have on the game stop it >:( . The end results would depend on how much changing certain variables would effect the game play, which would have to be tested and adjusted.

• Like 1

What, why?

Let's take an example from real life: You're walking down the street when 10 men approach you. All of them proceed to kick your teeth out.

Your example: Same scenario, but they try and kick your ass one at a time...

Edited by narkoman14
  • Like 1

i think with the time we'll see that in SA, i've read we'll have zombies become weaker with time, so maybe run slower, in any case, they are infected people and they run pushed by insane instincts prevailing on their emotions, so they rush full speed to you, they aren't dead bodies rotting and making them slower. and it's balanced, just the ability comes before and in the first seconds of aggro, and splits people aggroing the fuck while cornered and people dealing with aggro in the right way. i know this now involves varous exploits, but just wait for SA and everything will be ok ( at least after some months of glitching around)

What, why?

Let's take an example from real life: You're walking down the street when 10 men approach you. All of them proceed to kick your teeth out.

You might want to take another go at editing that one, it still makes no sense.

What, why?

^This...they will not approach you one by one hollywood style and wait for you to beat them one by one....

Every situation involving zeds should be suicidal especially if it's not the typical undead "slow" zeds...the player should think about how to approach the valuable loot and not just run straight there gung-ho and fight their way out with guns blazing.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

Zombie: "Oh shit guys, there's like 20 of us and one survivor. Let's all walk like we have arthritis in the knees and each one of us will take turns at hitting him."

No...just...no.

• Like 4

difirent running speeds i would be okay with everyone don't run at same speed

Zombie: "Oh shit guys, there's like 20 of us and one survivor. Let's all walk like we have arthritis in the knees and each one of us will take turns at hitting him."

No...just...no.

This was exactly what i was trying to say before.

• Like 1

Where on earth has this notion of zombies approaching one at a time come from???

Also see disclaimer point 2, you can't make the assumption that they would walk like they have arthritis, they would move at a speed that still maintains a balance in the game, no one would know what they speed is until the idea had been tested and adjusted for balance.

As per disclaimer point 1, it isn't an attempt to make the game easier. It's an attempt to make dealing with small numbers of zeds more dangerous and trying to stretch out fights with hordes to try to turn them a bit more into running battles instead of getting instantly swamped.

I don't like the concept of this but I would like let's say 5 different kinds of zeds with different walking/running speeds. As the players should have stamina, encumbrance, etc zeds should have a variety of speeds and attacks. Obviously binding different speeds to speficic skins should be a no go, too gamey. But imagine if let's say there were crawlers, walkers, sprinters, jumpers, with various speeds. And take into account that you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from their skin.

IMO this would make the game harder, since now you can always predict the speed and general zed maneuvers. But what if you couldn't do that? What if there was no way of telling whether a zed will sprint behind you, or just keep walking towards you? Not knowing how the enemy is going to react adds suspense and the element of surprise. Not to mention this would be much more immersive and realistic. Just an idea.

• Like 1

Not by amount.

Just by appearance.

Some zombies just can run faster than others just like people can run faster than others.

Some people can just hit harder too.

Some zombies might have injuries.