Sign in to follow this  
theboat

Boiling dirty pond/lake water.

I think it's kind of upsetting when you're in the middle of the forest with friends, all 3 of you are out of something to drink, and suddenly, you can't find a pump to fill your canteen, I think it'd be an interesting mechanic to be able to find a kettle, and be able to fill it with pond/lake water (Not from the ocean, as that's salt water), and have to boil it over a fire to purify it and make it drinkable without getting an infection, I think the entire process of it being put onto the fire, to the point when it's done being boiled should take a total of maybe 2 1/2 minutes, just for some realism while not making it completely absurd, although 4-5 minutes could be reasonable since a lot of people who do play in groups who suffer from these problems generally have camps set up where they could afford to sit for 5 minutes reasonably. I dunno, just an idea for you guys to discuss, and add onto, and help develop overall so hopefully we get some great new features in the future :D.

I like the idea! Great survival feature.

Thanks Bear Grylls!

would be a little too hard just to get water then, you cant find two campfires a day, and gettin a waterbottle seems near to imposible anyway since we arent spawning with one anymore

what i'd like to see is being able to drink directly out f the pond instead of needing a bottle for it, when near dehydration death, you wont think twice about filling it into the bottle first or even boiling it up...

' pid='162731' dateline='1340287496']

would be a little too hard just to get water then' date=' you cant find two campfires a day, and gettin a waterbottle seems near to imposible anyway since we arent spawning with one anymore

what i'd like to see is being able to drink directly out f the pond instead of needing a bottle for it, when near dehydration death, you wont think twice about filling it into the bottle first or even boiling it up...

[/quote']

I suppose you could do that yes, but that'd give you an infection.

i guess people would just go out and hunt zombies for soda etc. instead of building a fireplace to get water to then find a box of matches (i never found one) , alert every player in 200m radius with the campfire, just to get one bottle of clean water

but, if the dev eam would add something like a small hot plate or a water boiler, that would work great

this idea is great. i imagine it would be a relatively simple mechanic to code, but certainly adds to the human element of the game. some might say that this isn't something that is exactly necessary, but it's still a cool addition and i can't see any reason for it not to be implemented, especially in a survival situation

A portable has cooker! This is an awesome idea! Limited use, deploys like a tent. Maybe take up 3 spaces (wood pile is 2) and allows you to boil water or cook food without smoke. Find it in deer stands and residential housing.

I haven't found any rivers in Cherno yet. They'd have potable water.

As far as ponds go, still water contains very nasty bacteria like meningitis.

I said somewhere else that an enema is the only way to safely consume dirty water without requiring hospitalization.

Pond water filled bottles should really be Water Bottle (Unboiled). If you have a pan in your tool belt, the option to boil water appears.

Pump water though, people drink that all the time.

replace boiling water with iodine/bleach and im game

*edit* since were on the subject of canteens.....can we get more than one drink from a canteen?!?!

I think this is a great idea. Water canteens are actually very easy to find, and I usually roll around with 4 or so for safeties sake - When I was only carting one I had some close shaves where I had run out of soda, drunk my water and was a distance from places to get more.

Simply adding in the need to boil at fires instantly would be sufficient, but having to wait a small period would be great. Inventory space is limited... so having to carry something like a pan as well would make it a bit annoying (4+ water bottles plus 2+ slot pan = lots of used up space).

HOWEVER, if you are going for a reality perspective, having to carry such a thing would be good. I know I'd be carrying at least a billy (a sort of metal pot with a wire handle for hanging over fires on a hooked branch or makeshift thing - used in aus a lot).

Alternatively, from supermarkets and/or hospitals have purifying slips/cubes (in stacks of 10, as they aren't that big) that have a lowish chance of spawning.