Sign in to follow this  
Pvt. James Duke

Adding a Piper Cub

Hello everyone and good day, I know in the past I have had not-so-good ideas for DayZ (Lock-On Rocket Launchers & MGLs) but I think this might be a good one. Ok so as it is currently in the mod we have only 1 prop-driven aircraft the AN-2 biplane. It is a good aircraft but it has faults such as long-take off and landing distances. Also no reverse and very little maneuverability. So my idea being replace or add a new aircraft. A Piper SuperCub PA-18... This is a light 2 seat prop-driven plane. This aircraft has advantages and few disadvantages.

Advantages:

1. Max speed of 208 km/h (130 Mph)

2. Stall speed of 69 km/h (43 Mph)

3. Range: 735 km (460 miles)

4. Take-off distance 200 ft.

5. Landing distance 350 ft.

6. 36 gallon fuel capacity

7. Perfect for scouting

Disadvantages:

1. Can probably be shot down with a AKM or M-16

2. No armaments

3. Fragile (No hard landings)

4. Only 2 Seats

In the mod the aircraft should have about 10 gear slots and a backpack slot. The aircraft should be able to be pulled around by the tail. The plane is very light to pull and push. (My dad owns one and I have helped him push in and out of a hanger) You should be able to walk up behind the plane and scroll selecting a "Grab Plane" option and pull or push it. The plane could have an attachment that is found at Balota or NE airfield which is a pair of floats for the plane. Attaching these to the plane now allows it to land on water or land (Floats for this plane have build in wheels for ground landings too). Thanks for reading and please tell me what you think.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure eveyone would like to see some kind of a small single engine plane in DayZ but you must not forget pipers and cessnas are made in the US. So maybe a small Yakovlev would be a better approach. Especially a 70ies-80ies model, nothing too modern and hitech. Something like the YAK-18T (4-5 seat) or the YAK-52 (2 seat).

When it comes to floats I think an AN-4 would be better. It's basically an AN-2 with floats. So it'll be much easier for the dev team to just add floats to the already present model in the game.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 3

I'm pretty sure eveyone would like to see some kind of a small single engine plane in DayZ but you must not forget pipers and cessnas are made in the US. So maybe a small Yakovlev would be a better approach. Especially a 70ies-80ies model, nothing too modern and hitech. Something like the YAK-18T (4-5 seat) or the YAK-52 (2 seat).

When it comes to floats I think an AN-4 would be better. It's basically an AN-2 with floats. So it'll be much easier for the dev team to just add floats to the already present model in the game.

These are all valid points but the PA-18 is a very popular plane in many countries. Also during the Second World War the U.S. sent a early version of the PA-18 over to Rusia for scout planes. So it is feasible that someone there collected and took care of one or built it from a plane kit. Also the AN-4 Idea is better than the Piper seaplane and much easier to implement. Thank you for your input.

Personally I hope they don't have aircraft at all. Being able to cover the entire map in a few minutes breaks so much of the spirit of Dayz. One or two people in any type of aircraft can locate and loot/destroy every camp in the entire country of Chernarus in a very short time. Having any aircraft at all forces everyone on the server to play around that fact. You can pretty much never hope to have a tent last more than a few hours without being looted and most people just end up spending their entire day looking for a heli to help them loot camps faster. I get that there are many different uses for them and the ones I've found have been used to help people but it just makes it too easy to find loot and takes survival out of the game.

If they do end up putting aircraft in I can only hope that its not helicopters but instead a small two seater like you mentioned. At least that way they would be about impossible to land in heavily wooded areas and would be easy to shoot down. Or just make them seaplanes only so you have very limited places to take off and land.

• Like 1

We need it in a sea plane version!

Sea planes.

So much sea, so little sea planes.

Personally I hope they don't have aircraft at all. Being able to cover the entire map in a few minutes breaks so much of the spirit of Dayz. One or two people in any type of aircraft can locate and loot/destroy every camp in the entire country of Chernarus in a very short time. Having any aircraft at all forces everyone on the server to play around that fact. You can pretty much never hope to have a tent last more than a few hours without being looted and most people just end up spending their entire day looking for a heli to help them loot camps faster. I get that there are many different uses for them and the ones I've found have been used to help people but it just makes it too easy to find loot and takes survival out of the game.

If they do end up putting aircraft in I can only hope that its not helicopters but instead a small two seater like you mentioned. At least that way they would be about impossible to land in heavily wooded areas and would be easy to shoot down. Or just make them seaplanes only so you have very limited places to take off and land.

You have nothing to fear if they add helicopters to sa. Dayz sa is built on the take on helicopter engine so the rendering of trees from the sky wont be stupid and blank were you can see the whole forest floor like the mod.

Edited by jona
  • Like 1

Here are some pics of the aircraft:post-118692-0-25876600-1384664795_thumb.post-118692-0-92403900-1384664885_thumb.

Also, possible textures for Seaplane crashespost-118692-0-55759000-1384665301_thumb.post-118692-0-40974900-1384665315_thumb.

Edited by Pvt. James Duke

Why not just add a C-47 and we can fly away happily with the unit.

Because we already have a large plane the AN-2. We really need a smaller plane like the SuperCub

I agree a light 2 seat plane is much more realistic is much more realistic and balanced than mg wielding choppers, even though i would argue that a J-3 Cub instead of a PA-18 would look better and be a little more realistic.

To dispels the myth of 

One or two people in any type of aircraft can locate and loot/destroy every camp in the entire country of Chernarus in a very short time.

A piper Cub is NOT armed or armored (bullets go though its fabric covering into the pilot, and it does not have mounted Weapons(yes someone could in theory shoot free hand with a rifle but not at all accurately)). 

As for Tents... place them under trees...