Sign in to follow this  
finray@live.co.uk

[TUTORIAL] How to launch into DayZ from Steam

I wrote this guide for Reddit, thought I might port it across to here. Also if it's in the wrong section, feel free to move. I'm not normally on these forums (as you can tell by this being my first post)

Original Post on Reddit

I thought some people might be interested in a tutorial guiding them with idiot-proof instruction on how to launch Arma2 with the DayZ mod enabled. So without further ado, here's the guide (with .gifs!)

First off, you want to navigate to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead

and rename the file "Arma2OA.exe". Doesn't really matter, just make sure it's different. I called mine "Arma2OAOLD.exe".

Gif Guide 1

Now, navigate to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta

and copy the file "arma2oa.exe". Paste it in the main folder for ARMA 2.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead

Gif Guide 2

The next part is done in your Steam client. Right click on ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead and click "Properties" at the bottom. Then click on "Set Launch Options"

Gif Guide 3

Paste in this:

-beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ;ca -cpuCount=4 -exThread=7 -maxMem=8192 -nosplash

There are a few things you may need to change depending on your system.

* -cpuCount=#

This tells the game how many physical cores your CPU has. If you don't know, you can find out your processor name like this and enter the name into Google.

* -exThread=#

This tells the game how many threads your CPU is running on. Follow the same instructions above if you're not sure on thread count.

* -maxMem=####

This tells the game how much RAM your computer has. Enter 2048 for 2GB, 4096 for 4GB, 8192 for 8GB, can you see the pattern?

Once you've done that it's time to launch the game! Click Play on ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead and a small box should pop up. Click "Launch ARMA2: Combined Operations" and click play.

Gif Guide 4

The game will then boot up with the DayZ Mod activated, and you can join right into servers.

Hope this helps some people out.

Also, if you're getting poor performance due to a slow Hard Drive, check out OhiSeven's guide on How to make a RAMDisk. This can still be compatible with Steam launch, all you need to do is add the drive name the RAMDisk gets set as in the launch options. For example, if your RAM disk is called "Local Disk ( H: )" then change the part of the code

-mod=@DayZ;ca

to

-mod=H:\@DayZ;ca

Doesn't work, When I go to open the Combined Operations it quickly pops up a black CMD with an error and within a second it disappears, After I tried Running arrowhead operation and went onto Multiplayer I got an error saying That I cannot Edit or play because something is wrong.

Also when I go onto the game it says something that there is no Entry

Please I really need help