Scriptwolf

MERGED: Booby traps, Explosives and IED's

I would like to see more explosive weapons in dayz even if they are just IED's and something you scrapped together, and would be cool to have to go out and find components to craft like a pipe bomb, or a proximity Mine ( IED ofcourse) just to add that and also any defenses you have set up in a area you can put a little more defense there and also protect your tent.

I feel like this would lead to really, really bad stuff. You'll have those people that make a shitload of bombs and just litter a town with them. It would be utter chaos on the servers and I think the lag would increase from a shit load of bombs exploding.

It only takes a couple of satchel charges to bring down entire buildings.

not even that powerful, you could make them really late game stuff and taking a lot of rare components like say a GPS and your favorite night vision goggles. we are already seeing missile launchers why cant we take the ammunition from one of these and make a simple proximity mine which does not discriminate so even you can be killed by your own bombs. and explosives can not be placed of pavement or inside buildings

or maybe you need more components like a radio to set it off and can only be so far away before it wont work.

they should be really limiting or even none lethal IED's ( improvised explosive device ) something which works on shrapnel and would injure/cause bad injury to player but would not kill but even these would be very very expensive to make.

Example:

Tin can Proximity mine ( none lethal will cause major injury and stun )

tools needed:

Tool Box

Hunting Knife

matches

Entrenching tool

Items needed:

Tin can x 1

Winchester pellets x 5

Electronic wiring x 3 ( none common find takes up 2 slots ) ( also used for cars and other forms of transport)

Form of use:

Player places tin mine in one location, the mine works but ANYTHING coming into a close proximity of it about 30cm so you have to be close, cant be placed of pavement or roads or in buildings. once something comes into close proximity of the mine it blows up in a outwards direction taking out a characters legs cause serious damage to the lower half of the character causing major injury but not death and will cause stun

I see why some would think it might cause balance issues but making it a crafted item, replacing a bunch of ammunition with a pipe bomb for instance, should be pretty even. There are already HE grenades and M203 rounds in this game. Molotov cocktails shouldn't be too far in the future either, from what I've read.

I feel like IEDs might turn this into more of a war-zone than a survival scenario type of mood. Though I suppose if they were more limited in nature (small explosion radius, and tripwire only), it might be okay to implement. My suggestions for traps are listed below:

Trip-flares - just use the ACE version but replace the glow with a green/other colored version of the current road flare. It is set and then triggered with a trip wire ranging up to 15m. Make this spawn on the low side of common so maybe about the same chance of spawning as a map or something (if you can maybe in a pack of 3-5 but this will need some modification as ACE doesn't implement it in that fashion). Can be disarmed and picked up if the player approaches it without setting off the trip wire.

Bear traps - A non-bury-able trap with a 2m trigger radius that can be visually concealed if placed in grassy areas (basically just harder to see cuz the grass extends through it). If a player steps on them, it causes a broken bone + some minor blood loss. Make these semi-rare to find, maybe with the same likelihood of spawning as frag grenades. Can be disarmed and picked up at range if the player approaches without setting it off.

I liked the tin can IED someone proposed above but I want to make an adjustment since a proximity trap for an explosive device is a bit too powerful IMO:

Tin-can IED:

Build requirements are:

-1 x frag grenade

-1 x tin can

-1 x trip flare

-toolbox

Basically, the "realism" aspect is that the player finds these items, strips the trip wire out of the trip flare, pulls the pin on the grenade, places the grenade in the tin can to keep the fuse from being lit, ties the tin can to trip wire so when someone trips the wire, the grenade goes off.

Behavior: 15m tripwire available.

1-5m is instant kill.

6-10m is painkillers + bandage + minor chance of broken bone + major blood loss (~9000).

11-15m is bandage + some blood loss (~5000).

Visually appears to be an upright tin can so that it looks different from the regular ones. The little stake that is used by ACE to represent the tie off point of the trip wire is placed wherever the trip wire ends. Can be disarmed if you get close to it without tripping it. Can be picked up after being disarmed.

I could see this game turn in a very bad direction with active traps like this.

Booby trapping your bases is a valid approach, but you know its just going to be littering these around the coast.

Well it could be extremely cool, in the right hands... But we all know within a day or two all spawn locations would be booby-trapped.. So unless there is some kind of protection to spawn areas... well...

- Whitey

To the field expedient landmine (using the frag grenade with a tin can) here's a more accurate methodology:

Fragmentation grenade

Tin can (of the appropriate diameter to hold the spoon down after the pin is removed, c-ration tins worked well)

Fishing line (for the trip wire and to tie the can to something)

Optional: Smoke grenade (taken apart for it's instant fuze, otherwise your landmine is going to have a 5 second delay in exploding)

Optional: One Pair of Tent stakes (taken from a camping tent, one camping tent = 4 pair, used to mount the tin can and anchor the far end of the trip wire when setting up outside of a wooded area)

Without the tent stakes you'll be limited to setting it up in a wooded area, tying the tin can to a tree and the other end of the trip wire to another tree. Blast effects same as standard fragmentation grenade so you might not want it to be too close to your encampment.

As to limiting their proliferation: Requre they be placed within 100 meters of things like tents. That way players are only using them to protect their isolated encampments and not noob-trawling with them in Cherno. Also requiring the tent stakes is going to severely curtail their placement in cities or other non-forest locations.

Three step placement: First place the device, then the anchor point for the trip wire, and lastly remove the pin from the grenade mine in order to arm it. Coincidentally, players that find, say, a box of small cotter pins would be able to disarm any mines they happen to find and collect them for their own use.

Have you seen cherno after a dozen a10 bombs were landed on the buildings? Well it's gonna be just like that.

The ability to Booby trap yourself via a dead-man switch or perhaps a car or helicopter would add a interesting dynamic to the game. This would make it more interesting and risky when it comes to stealing someones vehicle etc. As it stands its very easy to steal a vehicle and or loot someones tent. Or maybe just something as simple as a grenade with a stake and a trip-line. Someone meaning to rob the said item would still be able to, but would have to check for traps etc. As it stands grenades are not super common so I don't think that this will create trap spamming all over the coast.

Theres a suggestion forum, you know?

btw.: A plethora of different mines (also ones with tripwires) are available in ACE2, go check them out. I'd especially love to see the signalmines here: Cross the tripwire and the mine will light up like a flare, emitting smoke and light.

I had an idea for a "trap" (more of a notification than trap) that involves some wire and empty tin cans.

Player/Zed runs over/bumps in to a wire making a rattling noise that alerts the player to the postion of the noise.

If anyone would care to add on to my idea, feel free.

This should be in the suggestions forum but +1 for trip wires and booby traps, a la ACE Mod.

Boobytrap spelt backwards is 'partyboob' just an FYI XD

But in all seriousness, setting tripwires (that at least set off an alarm / lights up the enemy) would be pretty sweet.

However because of the nature of the game, an instant death trap (like a mine) would be a little harsh.

Boobytrap spelt backwards is 'partyboob' just an FYI XD

+1

Also I agree on partyboobs aslong as they aren't instakill or result in instant bloodloss. Maiming traps that break your leg or noise makers like the suggested tincans would be cool.

[attachment=128]

Hello DayZ players! I've been playing for a while now, and I finally want to throw in my suggestions (The few I have)

1) Booby Traps - Based on those seen in Fallout 3, I'd love to see grenades attached to trip wires, or bear traps, to defend entire buildings or just your camping grounds. It would make players much more comfortable to know that if anyone trying to take their tents loot, the looter would be blown sky high.

2) IED's - Too much? Pssh, I think people would love the opportunity to destroy those buildings that bandits are hiding in, or the cars they are using to get away with. I'm not saying MILITARY GRADE C4! Just an average, everyday IED.

More to come, post up your opinions thus far!

yeah, also IED's range from big to small, and i think having the ability to set small crippling traps would be good or maybe even none lethal traps would be good just to add really more stuff to do.

Also to place a IED, trap down you would need maybe entrenching tool and a tool box maybe a few other things ? so it would not be easy to gather all the mats to make a IED

Ok here's my suggestion for explosives:

Make them just like the satchel charges in Arma, (but they'd be called the IED and look like a pile of garbage :dodgy:)

So you can't just litter the town with auto exploding bombs, but you would have to be a "triggerman" and wait for someone/something to be near your bomb before you touch off the charge. Could be a good way of dealing with zombie hordes - smoke grenade to attract the zeds + ied = zombie boom boom. Like in the city, you could get like 30 zombie kills in one shot.

I like the idea of tripwire bombs, but do it like this: Empty tin can + hand grenade + tripwire makes tripwire booby trap. Booby traps can be disarmed if they are spotted, and their components taken. Hand grenades are also crazy rare (ive only heard of people getting them), so it wouldn't be OP, just another use for the nade.

Frags, flares and smokes attached to tripwires would be great when you're trying to defend a perimeter or manhunting.

But the wire should be visible, so it could be defused with say... toolbox?

It's rare but we have granades in the game, and also empty cans are a horde...

how bout making simple booby traps putting those together, even with smoke it'd be fun and a dangerous weapon (attracting zombies)

just my 2 cents

Excellent idea. Finally there'll be use for smoke and chemlights.

I would boobytrap the hell out of a city and watch from a hill how stalkers get overrun after setting them off :3