Sign in to follow this  
Dekkymane

DayZ standalone: Zombie update.

So, why do zombies walk through walls?

Source from reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1q8t9i/dayzdaily/

Rocket2guns: "The zombies aren't using the geometry to calculate their collisions, as this would be incredibly performance intensive. Instead they are using the "roadway" which are planes inside of buildings that say where someone can walk. Players use roadway + geometry, so this problem wasn't noticed. But basically, the roadways don't have sections removed for where there are walls. It's not a huge job, but we will need to go through and define the roadways properly to avoid these problems."

What does Dean mean?

Players use Roadway and geometry. Roadway means where you walk, and geometry, are basically verticle objects, walls?

If the players didn't use geometry, we, like the zombies, could walk through walls.

Dean is keeping the zombies at roadway only, for performance. So how to fix zombies walking through walls, if they're not using geometry?

http://i.imgur.com/Jdjm7L0.png (Credit for Photodiode on Reddit)

Once this is fixed, zombies should no longer use the roadway through geometry.

Hopefully this was explained well. Keep up the good work Rocket and his team B)  :beans:

Edited by Dekkymane
  • Like 8

Its kind of like the "Navmesh" for the Bethesda game Skyrim. You need to make an area that dictates where the AI (in DayZ's case, the zombies) are allowed to travel. Check out this video to see that system in action:

• Like 3

klesh, on 09 Nov 2013 - 7:52 PM, said:

Its kind of like the "Navmesh" for the Bethesda game Skyrim. You need to make an area that dictates where the AI (in DayZ's case, the zombies) are allowed to travel. Check out this video to see that system in action:

Yeah, the zombies are still able to walk through walls, but there pathfinding won't let them.

• Like 1

Yeah, the zombies are still able to walk through walls, but there pathfinding won't let them.

Precisely. As rocket points out, preventing them from hitting walls using the wall geometry and their body geometry is too resource intensive. So this way is an optimized technique to achieving the desired effect (no zombo clipping) while saving server resources for other awsomeness.

What effect would this have on zombies walking thru closed doors?

I apoligize if the vids explain I hant watched.

What effect would this have on zombies walking thru closed doors?

I apoligize if the vids explain I hant watched.

Vid wont explain it as its solely for Skyrim (which uses a similar system for AI pathfinding). 

It really depends, since the zombies' geomentry is being checked for running into walls, the probably arent checked for running into doors.  It would then depend on whether these roadway planes can be made vertical (over a door) and then be made to move (to match a door being opened).  That is an unknown at present.

Hmm, I came to thinking, if zombies also used geometry, would they be equal fps droppers as players are ? A 50 player server is pretty performance demanding, but 3000 zombies or whatever the number is isn't really.

Hmm, I came to thinking, if zombies also used geometry, would they be equal fps droppers as players are ? A 50 player server is pretty performance demanding, but 3000 zombies or whatever the number is isn't really.

The answer to that is right in your OP:

The zombies aren't using the geometry to calculate their collisions, as this would be incredibly performance intensive.

• Like 1