Sign in to follow this  
frosti

DayZ vs DayZero ('vanilla' DayZ mod)

You don't perceive* any impact on your gameplay. And those snipers are there because that's where the traffic and action is. New spawns should be leaving those places until they can defend themselves; not fighting over body bags of gear with revolvers.

Edited by Dagwood
  • Like 1

No need for apology.

It's an easy mistake to make.  If you don't look at the page closely and recognize how they laid it out, it can be easy to come to the conclusion you did.  I did the same at first glance when I loaded the page for the first time, but I caught the color scheme they had going on.  And when you've seen so many private servers that ARE pay-to-win, it makes it all the easier to presume the same of other private communities.

As soon as I seen the loadouts I was blinded by everything else.

Im still pretty against any sort of starting gear in Vanilla tho. Especially any type of gun. Still pushes death match type of play. Still gives a huge advantage over unarmed players.

Im even against starting packs. With starting packs you never need to make a decision to drop something like Painkillers, Morphine, a clip, food or drink. Dropping any can get you killed in the long run. Many times Ive dropped a can of food or drink thinking I would easily find some in the next barn or town and its got me killed.

However these loadouts are very respectable for non-Vanilla servers.

You don't perceive* any impact on your gameplay. And those snipers are there because that's where the traffic and action is. New spawns should be leaving those places until they can defend themselves; not fighting over body bags of gear with revolvers.

Any type of starting gear in Vanilla, whether it be a hunting knife, hatchette, backpack or pistol puts you that much further ahead. In otehr words your totally skipping a couple of beginning steps, for example you dont have to worry about carelessly running into the upstairs of a barn if you have a gun or hatchette.

Very easy to die in the beginning when you spawn with nothing.

And I agree that even spawning with a pistol pushes Death match play. You give a death match style player a starting pistol and thier first objective is still killing. From there everything else falls in line.

Edited by electricfuneral
  • Like 1

My statement didn't need to be corrected.  It was right as I said it.  The donator perks haven't changed by gameplay.  I spawn, scavenge what's nearby, and move inland.  Even if it's just a couple cans of food and soda.  I've done that since a couple months into playing DayZ, and do it still.  Donator perks haven't changed the way I play.

And those snipers are there for easy, low risk bambi kills.  If you are one of those, then I can see why it might affect your gameplay.  And if you don't play servers like BMRF because of that, then I guess that's another plus to BMRF in my book.  So again, if some donator puts a bullet in some bambi camping sniper, then they've earned the gear for taking out a geared out coward with a pistol.  I've taken coast snipers out with pistols and shotguns and lee enfields, and even an axe a couple of times.  If I know one is there, I just hit one of the barns or markets on my way.  I don't need to spawn with a weapon.

Any type of starting gear in Vanilla, whether it be a hunting knife, hatchette, backpack or pistol puts you that much further ahead. In otehr words your totally skipping a couple of beginning steps, for example you dont have to worry about carelessly running into the upstairs of a barn if you have a gun or hatchette.

Very easy to die in the beginning when you spawn with nothing.

And I agree that even spawning with a pistol pushes Death match play. You give a death match style player a starting pistol and thier first objective is still killing. From there everything else falls in line.

Death match style game play exists because there are death match style players.  I don't see that changing.  But death match style players who play on BMRF servers would have to be idiots if they're plaything there because they can donate and get a pistol with a couple of clips when they could donate the same amount on many other communities and recieve AR's, ghillie suits, and coyote/czech packs.

Like I said before, no one is forcing anyone to play private servers, or donate to one if they do.  To each his own.  But for myself, if it weren't for good private servers like BMRF and a couple others, I wouldn't even be playing DayZ.  Sure, you still get an occasional script kiddie, but nowhere near as many as the public servers.  And when they get caught, you can post in the thread that springs from the ban to get your character rolled back if you were killed by the script kiddie.  That's a bit of a comfort for me.  DayZ deaths give it it's edge and harcore nature, which is why I play it.  I don't mind being killed by a legit player, but if there's a way to avoid losing hours, days, and even weeks worth of play to some script, that's a big plus.  And with the separate databases for the servers, you don't have to worry about ghosting or server hopping for loot.  There's also a progressive ban system, starting with a 24 hour ban, for those caught combat logging or glitching.

So if a couple of convenience items given out for donations help keep these good communities, servers, and admins going, I'm all for it.  It's definately worth it to me.  I've tried playing on many private hives, and there are plenty of real pay-to-win and/or poorly administrated hives out there, but I don't play those past finding it out.  I play the ones I consider the good ones.  If you like the public hives, or have found a good private hive that can offer what you want, that's great.  But the public hives had me hanging it up for two months til I tried my first good private hive, and I haven't looked back since.  The only reason I commented on it at all was because you were mistaken about BMRF's donator perks and casting that community in an unfavorable light due to that mistake, and giving it an undeserved rep for being a pay-to-win hive.

Fairly accurate comparison, and the performance boost alone in DayZero (DZ) almost makes it worth it. However, DZ seems to be more PvP oriented to me, especially since it adds quite a few military spawn sites. Loot in general is easier to get in DZ, I find. So despite the polish of it I stuck with vanilla in the end. I would say objectively DZ is superior, and I don't intend any disrespect to R4Z0R and the team, but seeing as DZ aims to be a polished version of vanilla and updates itself after vanilla with several tweaks you would hope it would be. But for pure enjoyment and gameplay experience I cannot go past vanilla, it is simply the truest representation of what DayZ was intended to be.

DayZero is so far behind Vanilla it's unbelievable. As for performance, my and my friends have all said vanilla runs better. We have high end systems and all the custom buildings in DayZero just sucks the fps. They are reluctant to change zombies and there are strictly no survival elements to the game, and anyone who justifies it by saying it's a pvp mod is wrong. Survival and pvp things can co-exist.

Edited by thehet

Latest patch has done some great things, and still hte best performing mod out there by far. Poeple looking for a more hardcore experience need to check out the zombies.nu servers right now!

Poeple looking for a more hardcore experience need to check out the zombies.nu servers right now!

did so, they are (still) easier than vanilla zeds?!

did so, they are (still) easier than vanilla zeds?!

Depends on what you mean by easier. They make you bleed like fuck, the more wounds you have the faster you'll bleed out. Your arms and legs will break after a while if your getting crowded by them.

The don't hit Quite as hard (although military zeds can hit you for almost 10% sometimes!) and there's no infection. I gues they're a little easier but if you have to shoot someone in a zombie infested area then good luck :P