xoiio

Hello everyone, I have a few questions.

Hello everyone I am considering purchasing arma 2 to put the DAYZ mod on, but have a few questions before I do.

I will first say that I want to play single player. I know there are some mods and you can set up a server of your own, I have a quad core xeon blade server that I could run the server on so if someone could point me to a tutorial that would be great.

I am looking for a game where aside from running around, you can set up a base of some sort or barricade yourself inside a house, or a barn or something like that. I would love to be able toe stablisha  base like that, maybe put up fences or something like that, and then be able to take a vehicle I have found out for supply runs. Is that possible in this game?

I am also looking for possibly a video of gameplay aspects. Is it possible to use barbed wire, or maybe a string with a bell to alert you when zombies approach he perimiter? can you set traps for zombies or maybe snares to catch food?

I am looking for something that is really immersive.

So, can this game do that? What are some of the aspects like that which it is capable of doing and those that are not. Perhaps if someone has a video showing off those types of aspects they could hare it.

I'd just love to be able to barricade a farm, sit up in a window or on the roof, and snipe zombies down. What kinds of weapons are there? (I imagine since I would be running the server I can just give myself stuff, but finding it would be fun.)

Also do zombies despawn when dead, or would you have to deal with cleaning up their bodies and stuff like that?

I look forward to your replies.

In order of questions asked

Single player- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEg9m4v_OQ

Game you barricade yourself and create a base- http://dayzepoch.com/

I don't think that is available at the moment but look out for it in the future.

I suppose this game is immersive  

Yeah this game has alot of features so have a look and read up on it, its really fun :)

Epoch isn't as good as vanilla... but whatever.

Singleplayer DayZ is called "DaiZy" and is created by someone else, not of this community. It's essentially a mod you overwrite DayZ with.

ArmA 2/Operation Arrohwead have fun campaigns, editors, and user-created content to make the purchase worth it even without DayZ.

I am also looking for possibly a video of gameplay aspects. Is it possible to use barbed wire, or maybe a string with a bell to alert you when zombies approach he perimiter?

I don't think that is available at the moment but look out for it in the future.

Oh, yes it is available since patch 1.8 :) You can set up beartraps or tripwires with grenades / smokegrenades / tincans and such.

• Like 1

Ah epoch looks awesome. I suppose since I have a server I can run it on and it adds NPC's I could just do it like that so I could invite someone if I want.

I am wondering,what happens if you die? do you just respawn somehwere and have to find your way back to your stuff? Can you set a spawn>

Oh, yes it is available since patch 1.8 :) You can set up beartraps or tripwires with grenades / smokegrenades / tincans and such.

Okay, AWESOME! ittl be like micraft but way better lol.

I'll wait to hear some more from you guys and maybe watch some gameplay footage but it totally sounds woth the $13

When you die, you respawn at a pre-determined spot but there are tons of them so its kind of random. You can actually go into the database and edit the spawns so you could choose to spawn anywhere you want when you die. I set up some mini games on a server I used to have where depending on where you spawned there would be different situations for you to deal with. To be honest, though, you should tinker with the loot on your server as little as possible. The very first time you give in and give your guy something its all down hill from there. The pursuit of loot and survival are the only things that make this game fun when no one else is around.

If you really wanted to mess with loot but keep it fun, you could delete all of the spawn points, then give yourself spawns right on the coast near Cherno or Elektro. Put what items you would like around the city but keep them spread out and keep them simple and bare necessities. Then you would be forcing yourself to do a loot run through the city every time you respawn and you would know the rewards and be aware of the risk in getting your free starter gear. That way you could give yourself a low level gun, some food and ammo and other basic supplies, but you would be making yourself work for them every time. 

If you plan on building a base and defending it you will really want to make it near one of the bigger cities anyway. Not right inside, but at least close. If you fortified a barn there wouldn't be too many zombie spawn points in the middle of nowhere so you might not have many to kill. Some of the most fun I've had in Dayz was setting up some situation that had a high chance of death and going for it. If you have the ability to set up your own server, I would just password it and keep in mind that there are others who like a laid back approach who you could survive with. If nothing else, watch the forums, set up your server, learn to write missions and see if you can't find a couple people to have fun with. If you plan on doing this long term, learn to love

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addAction

You can add any item you want to the server and pretty much make them do anything you want. Its a long road to walk, but it will increase your fun exponentially learning how to make custom things happen on your server.

When you die, you respawn at a pre-determined spot but there are tons of them so its kind of random. You can actually go into the database and edit the spawns so you could choose to spawn anywhere you want when you die. I set up some mini games on a server I used to have where depending on where you spawned there would be different situations for you to deal with. To be honest, though, you should tinker with the loot on your server as little as possible. The very first time you give in and give your guy something its all down hill from there. The pursuit of loot and survival are the only things that make this game fun when no one else is around.

If you really wanted to mess with loot but keep it fun, you could delete all of the spawn points, then give yourself spawns right on the coast near Cherno or Elektro. Put what items you would like around the city but keep them spread out and keep them simple and bare necessities. Then you would be forcing yourself to do a loot run through the city every time you respawn and you would know the rewards and be aware of the risk in getting your free starter gear. That way you could give yourself a low level gun, some food and ammo and other basic supplies, but you would be making yourself work for them every time. 

If you plan on building a base and defending it you will really want to make it near one of the bigger cities anyway. Not right inside, but at least close. If you fortified a barn there wouldn't be too many zombie spawn points in the middle of nowhere so you might not have many to kill. Some of the most fun I've had in Dayz was setting up some situation that had a high chance of death and going for it. If you have the ability to set up your own server, I would just password it and keep in mind that there are others who like a laid back approach who you could survive with. If nothing else, watch the forums, set up your server, learn to write missions and see if you can't find a couple people to have fun with. If you plan on doing this long term, learn to love

You can add any item you want to the server and pretty much make them do anything you want. Its a long road to walk, but it will increase your fun exponentially learning how to make custom things happen on your server.

OK cool.

Awesome. I guess since there aren't many zombies near barns, (sadly though if makes sence) maybe I would set up a base using the tops of buildings or something like that.

Are there military bases or, maybe even better, parking complexes I could clear out? It would be wicked to have the first level or two boarded up, have different levels for storage or vehicles, and have a helipad on the roof :)

aww man, I need operation arrowhead too? Well there's another $20 :/

Oh yeah when I set up the server for the first time will everything spawn as it normally should (like cars, weapons tools and other things in their usual places) or do I have to go and define that stuff in a configuration file?

Awesome. I guess since there aren't many zombies near barns, (sadly though if makes sence) maybe I would set up a base using the tops of buildings or something like that.

Are there military bases or, maybe even better, parking complexes I could clear out? It would be wicked to have the first level or two boarded up, have different levels for storage or vehicles, and have a helipad on the roof :)

Sounds like you might want a firehouse.  Has 3 big doors you can fit most vehicles in (although not a bus probably) and tower you can go up in and shoot outside from.  You can also sort of glitch from inside to tower to the roof, however you have to take the ladder on the side back down.  The roof is also big enough to land a heli on, just gotta be careful.

On Chenarus there's 2 in Elektro, 1 in Cherno, and 1 at NWAF, however since you're running your own server, you could probably plop one down wherever you want.

Sounds like you might want a firehouse.  Has 3 big doors you can fit most vehicles in (although not a bus probably) and tower you can go up in and shoot outside from.  You can also sort of glitch from inside to tower to the roof, however you have to take the ladder on the side back down.  The roof is also big enough to land a heli on, just gotta be careful.

On Chenarus there's 2 in Elektro, 1 in Cherno, and 1 at NWAF, however since you're running your own server, you could probably plop one down wherever you want.

Okay cool. If there are windows I can probably make some wooden stairs to the roof.

Can you bust down parts of the walls of existing structures or just things you have made? I imagine it's the later.