Sign in to follow this  
zogin

Late game problems with DayZ + community feeling took a unexpected punch

First, I hate to say It. I wanted global chat gone, but it killed the community. We were getting to know the players on our server and now we can't talk. We need global chat back.

This game is getting older and every player with a brain now knows how to accumulate geear fast. Just run at the edge of the map. As of this patch near the edge of the map.

My point is. Once you become more then one or two players randomly doing small stuff it's over.

There is simply nowhere to store stuff to plan things ahead, simply due to the fact that it's just too easy to find the tents. We are 8 players together. I think the longest we managed to keep a vehicle is 48 hours. I would say that tents is found in less then 24 hours.

We need some way to more safely store more then you carry. As a community of almost 200.000 players I'm sure we can come up with something better then what it is now. I for sure want a game to last longer then one or two sessions before you have to start over (even if you didn't die)

On top of my head I can think of the following:

Add a spade, storage box (maybe 40 slots or so) and let us dig it down with a very low visibility.

Fix so tents can be in more locations. (forest). And make them harder to spot.

Change tents to let players place just ONE tent that is invisible to everyone else.

I don't know anything other then the current situation is better. It's getting hard to do something as an 5-8 player group when everything is gone once you stop.

I agree about the global chat, communication may not be "realistic" but this is a community game. No one came to this game because it is a zombie game, we came because its an MMO zombie game. By removing the communication, it becomes more of a Co-op game with exceptionally intelligent survivor/bandit "AI".

About the storage box, my take on it is this. The addition of a spade tool is interesting, i like it. The size you suggest is way too big though. 40 items in what is nearly a zero risk storage is far too much.

I say keep the tents in as high-volume storage and put in buried safe-boxes as something that can only hold 12 slots or so. Enough for a weapon and some ammo to be safely stored, or as a supply stash, but not as something for all of your crap.

For people to store a lot of stuff, like the current tent cities, they would need many many boxes, and it would make finding the right box a pain in the ass, as it would be in real life.

Good ideas, though I've personally grown to greatly like the lack of the notorious blue spam. Still, I do recognize the problems its removal causes. Would it be impossible to put it back but with the ability to hide/show the box? If not, then group chat would be less of a distraction due to green color.

The safe box idea is nice, too, 40 SLOTS sounds bit too much though. 20 tops. The invisible tents are (sorry) a bit stupid idea, being totally unrealistic and in a way removing that small, gnawing doubt that you've every time you stash some good stuff in tent. I always equip myself with my choicest items before logging off anyway. Minimizes losses even if someone finds my tent (which has not happened, just put it far away from anything instead of the obvious or even bit less obvious places).

The part i like about the save boxes is something entirely different though. I like the idea of making the box have a relatively specific location, and a relatively long dig animation, along with a small amount of storage.

Finding just one box might become an issue, just to find the rifle you stashed. For those with massive stashes, finding the right box out of dozens in a general area would require meticulous record keeping or a ton of time.

Potentially, it trades the chance of your stuff being taken with the chance of not finding it again.

Or, a metal detector could be added to the game. All kinds of emergent gameplay there. Stalking a clan after they loot starry or the airfield, waiting for them to go to their stash, then looting it later with a metal detector.

Another option would be to have loose dirt as a give away. Not sure how many people have dug holes, but until the dirt settles, it creates a mound when you fill it again, even if you don't put anything in the hole. It wouldn't be as obvious as tents, especially in a forest, but the trade-off would be the much smaller size.

Tents in the forest would be nice. Maybe add the ability to clear trees with an axe. Not sure if the engine can do that.

I disagree about the global chat. Although I did meet people using it, the experience I had tonight running into two guys and chatting via direct was way better. Like I said in another thread, having global was like running around in the zombie apocalypse texting on your cell phone. You never felt alone, there was always that connection to everyone else.

Another problem with global, people who are typing, aren't playing. If you aren't going to concentrate on the game 100%, alt-f4 and chat. If you're lonely in-game, run around until you hear gunfire or see someone. You might die, but eventually you won't. And, it'll be better than running around by yourself, chatting to people who aren't even sharing that experience with you.

Only "global" chat that I think would work in DayZ is some kind of short range radio.. or walkie talkie. It should be a relatively rare loot (not found in every house/barn/shed) and it should have a maximum range of let's say 3-5 kilometers (this could depend on the terrain).

If the signal is weak the text and/or voice chat could be slightly scrambled.. and if the signal is clear then it would indicate that the person communicating could be near. Perhaps there could even be various frequecies or channels too..

Definitely agree on the lategame goals.

But you mix so much stuff together. Global chat should only be possible for people who found a radio or something

And I dont think that changing tents to buriable boxes would really change lategame experiences, although its a brilliant brilliant idea. An idea that only the smartest of men could ever have.

Youd just have more of the same stuff if it wasnt stolen from you. What we need is more things you can do with stuff. player created groups, or some larger events like a zombieflood or fixable Town-generators would be examples.