Sign in to follow this  
beavis_5000

Please bring back Pitch Black Nights and Lunar Cycle!!!!

Im thankful that there are still servers that have night cycles (tmwdayz.com). Some of the best times I've had playing this game have been in the dark of night.

Your vision being completely blacked out isn't entirely realistic. A cross between ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 night time would be ideal. Either way, a synchronized 24 hour day/night cycle is a necessary component of the game. It's a shame that servers like that have died out for the mod, and it's an even greater shame that the stand alone will not have night time upon release.

Yeah I like the night on Arma 3. It shouldnt be impossible to see but more difficult and the view distance (obviously) much shorter.

if i wanted a black n white game, i'd boot up and old 80's computer...

Oddly enough it isn't black and white but there are all these yellows from the moonlight, then blue/red/green glowsticks, and hot red from flares. Campires and burning barrels cast a nice orange glow.

Your vision being completely blacked out isn't entirely realistic. 

In a non-urban area that doesn't have a ton of light pollution scattering off smog or cloud cover, yeah it is. A cloudy moonless night can have a Lux of .0001 and without clouds we get about .002. While the human eye can detect light that is that low it can't reasonably use it to define shapes especially when it is a general light level from airglow like that. Mesopic vision kicks in about .02 and that is where we are using rods and cones and more reasonably create a sense of what is around us and make out shapes forms and movement. 

Interesting, what do you do just get shit done during the day? And do you still logout with the full moon nights?

yes i play all my gameplay during daylite hours..

if the server goes dark or i login to dark (cloudy/cloudless makes no difference) i find another server..

yes i play all my gameplay during daylite hours..

if the server goes dark or i login to dark (cloudy/cloudless makes no difference) i find another server..

Sorry to hear that you are missing out on such a wonder feature and fun time. 

Sorry to hear that you are missing out on such a wonder feature and fun time. 

maybe for yourself, and thats cool..

but for me its like the 3rd person thing..

i like what i like for my own reasons..

enjoy the stumbling around in the dark, but for me its simply UNFUN...and then whats the point ???

Edited by Siberian

maybe for yourself, and thats cool..

but for me its like the 3rd person thing..

i like what i like for my own reasons..

enjoy the stumbling around in the dark, but for me its simply UNFUN...and then whats the point ???

I guess I don't see the point of playing a game designed to finally have a fairly cool and accurate day/night aspect and then skipping half the game because it's "too hard" when the game was designed specifically to be hard. It's a simulation game. In a zombie apocalypse would you have to deal with extremely dark conditions and bumbling into zombies under those conditions? Yes. Would you need to hunker down or use light sources to allow yourself to see knowing those same light sources might make you a traget? Yes. Would you have to weigh the increased stealth that night offers you for sneaking into a zombie infested area with the increased risk of not seeing something yourself? Yes. 

It's not unfun it's actually MORE fun. There is a lot of give and take. Zombies don't agro as easily, but at the same time you can sometimes run face to face with them if you missed one because of a shadow. Blue Chemlights let you see immediately around you and don't give your position away unless they are REALLY close but don't let you see things all that far away either. Flares and campfires can make excellent distractions and mislead even players into watching the wrong area. You are literally missing half the game.

• Like 1

The only issue I see with near pitch black nights is that it gives people who know how to up their gamma a way to "cheat" against those who do not know how or are trying to play the game legitamitely.

Then again they said that the graphical options will be limited in an attempt to reduce this kind of settings fu play.

Admins can enable this any time they like the settings are all server side.

• Like 1

Admins can enable this any time they like the settings are all server side.

Even on official Vanilla servers?

Great idea in a single player game, but it kills servers in multiplayer.  I hate 24/7 daylight servers and will not play those.  I'm good with full moon nights as long as there IS an actual night cycle and the server stays populated.  I feel it's a good compromise.

It doesnt kill multiplayer but it takes a huge chunk out of PvP.

Yea we only forced full moon nights because its what players wonted at the time. So yes you can enable full nights if you wish to.

• Like 1

Yea we only forced full moon nights because its what players wonted at the time. So yes you can enable full nights if you wish to.

Unfortunatley im not admin lol but I will ask the admin on my servers. Thanks for the info.

Pitch black nights are the most thrilling times I had in DayZ. Full moon nights on the other hand are way too bright. If the player found some NVGs, they just are useless.

Edited by Ken Bean

This.  I still haven't figured out a way to get my lunar cycles back in....The full moon nights are just too bright.  New moon/quarter moons were very stressfull.  Still looking for a way to put this back if anyone has figured it out.

This.  I still haven't figured out a way to get my lunar cycles back in....The full moon nights are just too bright.  New moon/quarter moons were very stressfull.  Still looking for a way to put this back if anyone has figured it out.

All I know is admin can turn them back on.

I would post in the Troubleshooting section and get some help there.