Sign in to follow this  
rips (DayZ)

Night time fix - street lights

Suggestion;

Easy night time fix, give us light sources in the game world.

Current Light sources such as torches, white chem/flares and vehicle lights could be adapted in a few instances to be static street and select building lights.

It could then be taken a step further and linked to power stations.

Have power stations repairable (like vehicles). Repair power stations and with night onset a city/town/road way gets partially illuminated.

Repairable power stations also give the player base a common goal & reason to unite, its a grouping incentive.

• Like 5

Neat idea, not sure how far the community building would go, since the sadist assholes who kill people for literally nothing would be attracted to it like flies to raw meat.

I like the repairable power plant idea, perhaps power means lockable doors.

Could also use repaired Power Stations to power other buildings or in game items in future updates.

I like the idea of being able to turn on power to a city. Here's my take on it:

1) When the power's on, all zombies are in perma-aggro if they're within city limits. They REALLY don't like the buzz of electric lights.

2) Spawn more zombies in powered areas.

3) Spawn loot in locations that can't be accessed unless the power's on. (Electric-powered gates or whatever.)

4) Extra visibility at night from electric light.

Now it's not just an aesthetic look.

I do really like the repairing a power station idea. Give something for a community to maybe band together to bring forth some form of structure back to a city.

Repairing the power station to activate power to street lights and houses is not a bad idea, would have to be hard as shit though, like you have to find rare items like electrical books and shit explaining how to do it and pieces to repair it.

Also, I think if someone repaired it, someone would also have to be able to destroy it.

That would be cool.

Power grids are in arma, (I think) Since power generators are in the game I believe you could take over power stations at some point in development. Street lights are pretty useful in small towns.

Please add this in, it would be a great objective for players, and make it extremely fun competition and more interesting.

Edited by Forever

Who runs the electricity? Santa Claus?

EDIT: Would be cool tho if you could set up powerplants to work and then automaticly the street lights hits it, this could bring some nice features as a tactic for example.

People would se the lights go on and instantly know theres someone at the powerplant, there should tho be like 1min delay until it hits on, For what I know it has to charge, it is russia..

Edited by Demnish

Seems like a nice idea, especially that part about getting the community to be more cooperating.

Also, read my thread about this little teamwork "issue" we currently have.

All street lights only within towns and cities and a little bit heading out of town on the roads then it stops.

Like a country road would have lights a little up and then theyd be stopped.

I've not found a power box etc. Ive seen loads of the blue generators around. Why not link them pushing etc to a power station in town and light it up if fails.

Also ability to sabotage the station and cause black outs. In city lights good idea because a city would not be dark really.

Before everyone just says "nope". Maybe it would make sense if a larger amount of electrical stations would have to work? I'm especially thinking of sites like that one around Berezino and Zelenogorsk. To get power you really need a large infrastructure, an electrical grid isn't just something you switch on or off. Now if you would have to activate or repair 5-7 different infrastructure buildings before it works this would be pretty awesome.

Remember: Great goals usually get people to work together.

• Like 3

Ability to take the big generates. (blue vehicles thing)

Find portable lights like from military camps. Take them all in a vehicle.

Then could set up camp.

It's quite simple, power stations consume petrol. Ergo you need someone near the power station to keep it running. (MIGHT require a rethink of tank distribution around the map)

Power stations are a cool idea, I'm against lights in the way people are thinking, NVG are a very prestigious item and lights would actually make NVG un wearable. Dimly lit streets is closer to what I would like, so NVG still functions, but noobs can use towns to scrounge for stuff.

Someone mentioned it before, but blowing them up would be crucial, I'm already thinking of getting a NVG equipped team to hit the power station, then clear out the streets with superior gear.

Does arma have static defenses at all? Something (vehicle that doesn't move) with a flood light that's on top of some buildings would be great, that way light is a strategic resource.

Before everyone just says "nope". Maybe it would make sense if a larger amount of electrical stations would have to work? I'm especially thinking of sites like that one around Berezino and Zelenogorsk. To get power you really need a large infrastructure, an electrical grid isn't just something you switch on or off. Now if you would have to activate or repair 5-7 different infrastructure buildings before it works this would be pretty awesome.

Remember: Great goals usually get people to work together.

Yeah, having the power station operational should only send power to towns/house/streetlights if the power grid lines have been repaired as well with scrap metal or some shit, then you could follow the lines from the powerplant if you wanted to connect a specific city repairing each one along the way, and if your off the grid you get no power, maybe have the repairs degrade at some reasonable level like twice as long as food lasts, also make them susceptible to sabotage like others have said.

Actually, if you can destroy them you wouldn't need a degrade on the power lines at all.

Edited by RunningScared

Personally, I like the idea of switching on electricity in the cities. But it should be very hard to do and require teamwork.

That way, people without NVGs would still be able to play on a night time server and explore the cities and villages.

Great idea, you have my beans.