fox808

Non-lethal weapons and traps.

Why not ?

Although I'm all for PvP action, I don't think we have to kill each other all the time. I would much rather prefer an option to incapacitate the enemy instead of killing him for both moral (humanity?) and role-playing reasons.

List of weapons that could do the job:

- Tranquilizer guns. Instead of using bullets it shoots darts that sedate other humans or animals for a short amount of time. Crossbow can also use darts as ammo.

- Tear gas. Great for clearing out buildings.

- Caltrops. Anti-personnel weapon that causes bleeding when walked upon. Can be used against both humans and zombies.

- Bear traps. Works the same way as caltrops but makes enemies unable to move for some time.

- Pepper spray. Rare item that causes temporary blindness and lack of stamina.

- Plastic cuffs/rope. Used to restrain other players once they are unconscious while you go and loot their stuff. Of course players would be able to free themselves after a few minutes.

- Empty bottles/tincans/glass. Placed at the chokepoints they cause no harm but alert other players nearby that someone is coming.

- Non-lethal ammo. A number of weapons in game can already use ammo that incapacitates enemies instead of killing them.

What does everyone think ? Not only it would make PvP more satisfying, but also more challenging than sniping from across the field. In terms of implementation I'm sure it's not very hard. A few RP mods in ARMA 2 (Charnarus Life, Takistan Life) already use non-lethal weapons and they work pretty well.

• Like 1

Some really great ideas here.

I'd really enjoy tranquilizing, cuffing, and robbing a bandit... Though it would most likely be the other way around... Awesome, haha.

OH YES, PLEASE! This, along with fixing direct channel would make grouping so much easier. I'd love to find a pepper spray and do some SWAT 4 action:)

Tranq guns wouldn't really work, since as far as I'm aware there are no tranquilizer weapons in real life that function like the movies (i.e., instantly knocked out). It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes or something like that, which might be a bit awkward and impractical gameplay wise. The other stuff though, sure.

Rubber bullets that knock people into the 'unconscious' state (before anyone says 'but rubber bullets dont knock you unconscious', the current state of unconsciousness ingame doesn't directly point to unconsciousness, just to being stunned) Allowing you to then run up and cuff them so they can't stand up or shoot for 60 seconds, allowing you to rob them but leave them alive. Tazers might work too.

but, I think it'd be really hard to implement, as you'd need dimishing returns on rubber bullets otherwise it'd just be used to grief, same for the use of cuffs, they'd need cooldowns or a 1-time usability and max carry of 1 per person (meaning they take up a pistol slot maybe).

Tranq guns wouldn't really work' date=' since as far as I'm aware there are no tranquilizer weapons in real life that function like the movies (i.e., instantly knocked out). It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes or something like that, which might be a bit awkward and impractical gameplay wise. The other stuff though, sure.

[/quote']

Even better! The delay gives the victim a chance to escape/hide. Maybe not 15 minutes but after a minute or so the victim's vision would grey and eventually pass out.

I would really like to see the cans/bottles as alarms added though. Quite a few occasions where that would have been very useful.

I'm all for these suggestion, no doubt whatsoever. They should be rare to find though, as they logically are. What about maze, as well? I see these to be less effective against zombies, since their senses (probably caused by general rotten-ness of limbic and nervous systems) are rather dulled out in general.

Rubber bullets that knock people into the 'unconscious' state (before anyone says 'but rubber bullets dont knock you unconscious'' date=' the current state of unconsciousness ingame doesn't directly point to unconsciousness, just to being stunned) Allowing you to then run up and cuff them so they can't stand up or shoot for 60 seconds, allowing you to rob them but leave them alive. Tazers might work too.

but, I think it'd be really hard to implement, as you'd need dimishing returns on rubber bullets otherwise it'd just be used to grief, same for the use of cuffs, they'd need cooldowns or a 1-time usability and max carry of 1 per person (meaning they take up a pistol slot maybe).

[/quote']

Not sure why we would need cooldowns or 1-time use on items. It's not like you meet people every 5 minutes... unless you are camping in Cherno of course.

Still better than being sniped from 1000m away though.

Great ideas OP. With the right balancing this could be very interesting and actually kinda scary...

Non-lethal could be fun, but I don't think it's really needed. If it doesn't detract from more critical changes or fixes, sure.

The idea is nice, but I don't like the idea that PvP gets easier. I like the consequences that come if you try to steal someone's loot. If people no longer have to die to steal from them, then more people will be fake banditing.

zarglife has a lot of this already implemented and it works out pretty well. Too bad you get get banned for using the stun guns as civies and heaven forbid you stun a cop as opposed to killing him :\

I really like the idea of nonlethal weapons, tranq gun especially. I'd love to be able to tranq someone until I knew they were safe for my group.

Great ideas man, tying traps by tents seems the best way to limit thier use, but god dammit , imagine walking through a random forest a random time of day randomly... and crack. legs broke bear trap.... unconcious ... wakes up handcuffed... robbed of all your stuff ahahaha so funny, even if this was me id find it very bloody funny.

i hope to see some this come into effect with the weather , people looking for shelter actually find a hut full of bear traps, ahhh funny

Rubber bullets that knock people into the 'unconscious' state ...

+1

Beanbag rounds for the M1014/Remington 870 might actually make those desirable. Have one guy in your group carrying the "master key" also be designated with putting down any unknown survivors you come across until you can determine if they are friendly or not.

How long should the stun last for? 5 minutes? You guys might need some time to determine if they're okay, plus you can always epipen them to get them back up quick like. Another downside though is that you can't really "talk" to someone when they are stunned. Doesn't let you open the chat window to say anything so how do you find out their intentions? *shrug* You could still stun them though, take their guns (or just their ammo, primaries are a bit of a space hog) and then let them get back up and interogate them.

Great idea, Im all for it.

For exemple, I was rolling around with a guy I just met, anyway one time we were looting a town and this one guy named ''ADMIN'' stick to us and keep following us. We tried communicating with him, tried to teach him how to communicate... he never said a word. So yeah, we tried to lose him in the woods but he kept sticking to us.

In the end, we stopped in the woods, I shot him IN THE LEG with a revolver and dashed it. Since he wasnt able to run, we lost him pretty easily. But still, I would have used a non-lethal way to get him to stop to follow if I could have.

All of this would be awesome.

One great use for non-lethal would be incapacitate a player steal his gear, hold him prisoner or evade. I can then keep my humanity and save my real ammo for zombies.

I had a similar post (couldn't find yours when I searched). So I'm moving ideas over here:

1) Flash Grenades

2) A club

3) Incapacitate Action

Flash Grenades could be beneficial to all -- regardless of non-lethal intent.

As for clubs, it would be nice to build a club out a piece of wood/firewood (now that it is plentiful). This would have no effect on zombies, but you could daze an enemy you struck. This would be of use in urban, close quarters combat. Someone comes up the stairs and you club them to stun them temporarily. Your club might break.

I'd also like to be able to shoot someone in the leg to break it, and then to run up to them and perform an incapacitating action on them. If successful, they would get the "hourglass" while I could loot their body quickly.

Also, I don't think these items would be rare, as every police station has them and you can easily make things like clubs and rubber bullets.

I don't see how non-lethal weapon would fit in this game, both by storyline reasoning and gameplay reason, well beside a trap which anyone with a survivor skill could make.

If given a choice between carrying a deadly firearm and a non-lethal weapon, which would you rather choose especially when you have to carry it with you at all time in any situation? I think the answer is already obvious, considering this is suppose to be a Survivor Simulator, not a law abiding citizen sim.

The idea sounds nice on paper, but I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to carry a non-lethal with them as their primary or secondary weapon especially seeing how it's easy to die in this game.

Dogz,

I think it does fit the storyline because this is a "sandbox"--meaning the only story is the one that we create ourselves.

The other great aspect of the game is morality, which is different than the law. What is "right" or "wrong" is governed by what is best for the social order. This does not change just because there are zombies. What is interesting about this game is whether you shoot on site and become a bandit, or you try to interact with someone and work together.

So if you are going to be punished for shooting people, you need to provide alternatives, so people actually have a choice.

In my similar post http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4970&highlight=incapacitate, I told the story about how I did not want to kill two bandits, but was forced to. I literally had no other choice.

Dogz' date='

I think it does fit the storyline because this is a "sandbox"--meaning the only story is the one that we create ourselves.

The other great aspect of the game is morality, which is different than the law. What is "right" or "wrong" is governed by what is best for the social order. This does not change just because there are zombies. What is interesting about this game is whether you shoot on site and become a bandit, or you try to interact with someone and work together.

So if you are going to be punished for shooting people, you need to provide alternatives, so people actually have a choice.

In my similar post http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4970&highlight=incapacitate, I told the story about how I did not want to kill two bandits, but was forced to. I literally had no other choice.

[/quote']

By storyline, I was referring to the original setting of the game, not when the players themselves get involved.

From looking at the map, you can tell it was suppose to be a military operation, not a peace riot exercise so those equipment such as a Tranquilizer Gun, a maze/pepper spray, not lethal weapon would rarely exists.

While the whole concept of morality is nice, I freaking doubt anyone wielding an AK-74 would take crap from someone carrying a Pepper Gun as their primary. For the most part in this game, you either get shot or you don't get shot, which is why the whole "non lethal weapon" is pretty pointless because most people wouldn't even want to carry one. It's a suicide, especially with many zombies roaming around the map and bandits killing you on sight.

I can see hand cuff being implemented, but not Non-Lethal. Even in a real life situation, most people would prefer to have a weapon that can kill rather than maim or subdue.

However, I can see melee being implemented, and once a person got bashed enough, or one hit directly in the head, they would fall unconscious. I think this would be a better and more realistic alternative.

traps would be awesome.. imagine setting out snares for zombiesyou could set a ring of traps then light a campfire int he middle.. sit back in the dark and watch them get trapped... wlk over to them and pop a bullet in their head and loot them... zombie farming.. SWEET