BloodFreak

Zombies need a big fix. (ragarding run cycle and speed)

Really fast ones are really tought to hit also. I believe this bug isnt just considering DayZ mod. Its considering Arma 2 and AO also. Very bad AI after all.

If the AI can't make fast zombie run straigh, well DON'T make fast zombie.

It's either he find a way to fix it or make them slower so we can hit them even if they zig zag.

anyone ever played zombie panic source? they brought something up where you are initially faster than zombies, but get slower with more weight, and running too long will make you slower as well, this combined with a slower zombie speed and zombies able to run in houses would make the game much more fun to play imo

I'd rather just have slow zombies that are dumb as bricks but will wreck you if you alert them and can't outsmart them. Lower their awareness, increase their numbers massively, and reduce their speed to like crouch running speed at best and make them at least trip or something so we get rid of these ludicrous "trains" chasing after newbies on the coast. I'm tired of seeing these "just crawl"- no, I shouldn't have to spend minutes looting one low yield place. I'm willing to spend about 15 minutes looting a small town considering the abysmal quality of most yields. Most of the time I prefer to just use the nuke to eliminate zombies because it's likely to be the most effective since you're almost bound to take damage due to their backwards style movement. It's ridiculous and needs to stop in favor of slower but massive hordes.

i guess the dangerous infected style zombies are ok, just dont make them run faster than players sprinting,

if we need to make big hordes of slow moving zombes, people will be able to just ninja a town and run out before the zombies can chase them, and servers will have to handle a massive amount of ai if zombies are to be much more

so yes, zombies fast, but not faster as the players max speed, and they can actually keep the number of zombies there is now and still keep them being dangerous if you actually want to take something out of a town

Their warping has very little to do with their speed, it also has to do with their path finding AI and collision which sucks. They still are moving through walls, unable to walk on docks, punching through walls, even slipping through the floors inside buildings.

All around, they need a lot of work and we are seeing them change daily. Currently I find with the current setup they are too difficult. Not only can they make you bleed or even cripple you in 1 hit, they can hear and see you yards away even when crouching. Considering you start with only a flashlight and expected to go looking for supplies, only to find a zombie spawned inside buildings now, makes the difficultly curve even higher. Throw in the human factor and you are lucky to make it 1 night.

here is my take on what liquidje said not random speed but speed of zombies chaning on how many there are big group slower but deadly if they get u small group medium speed small fast as fuck.

' pid='168494' dateline='1340347364']

i guess the dangerous infected style zombies are ok' date=' just dont make them run faster than players sprinting,

if we need to make big hordes of slow moving zombes, people will be able to just ninja a town and run out before the zombies can chase them, and servers will have to handle a massive amount of ai if zombies are to be much more

so yes, zombies fast, but not faster as the players max speed, and they can actually keep the number of zombies there is now and still keep them being dangerous if you actually want to take something out of a town

[/quote']

You forgot about the human part. You can really run around with zombies follow you if anyone around. I mean I would see you come into town running from slow zombie, I would shot your leg off and enjoy ;)

We are currently 3 in my team and seeing 2-3 zed far away is fine, but in a close quarter situation, you must of the time can't shot them before they are on you. They hit you once and either make you bleed or break a leg X_X

Slow zombie = Headshot to kill? bodyshot takes 2-3?

Fast zombie = only 1 hit to anywhere to kill

Fast zombies dont do as much damage, but can get in your face quickly

slow zombies do allot of damage, but cant get to you quickly

the problem really is to get the balance between

"can't do stuff alone"/"its hard to get stuff alone, but possible"/"just sprint through the town and you will be fine"

a mixture of different zombie types seems the easiest really

Also @ Bloodfreak: there wont be always bandits in every single town or city, since there is a 50 player max on most servers, and with only slow zombies people would just ninja stuff like crazy, making it no difficulty to survive because of the zombies, but because of the players only, might as well get rid of all zeds then

Zombie zigzagging' date=' and moving slow in buildings is unfortunately an issue with Arma II, I hope it is eventually ironed out.

[/quote']

I believe the zigzag can be removed. Just like in Charon's Undead Mod. In the editor if you play as one of his slow zombies, you move slow except when you hold forward and left/right at the same time you will sprint in an angle, but the a.i. slow zombies will never sprint like that (its like that key combo is disabled for them). Maybe there can be something like that with the DayZ zombies.

For walking in buildings, I think Arma2's a.i. walk indoors cause, if they run they go through the walls, (like in Operation Flashpoint, if i remember corect). So they are forced to walk inside (not 100% on that), and DayZ zombies walk really slow (when they wander in towns) and run real fast (when chasing people).

Maybe if we speed up their walking and slow down their running, it might look more natural.

I think most everyone agrees that the warping and zig-zag movement should be fixed. The rest of the zombie variables are really dependent on where Rocket wants to end up with the zombies when all is said and done. There could be many "right" combination of variables depending on each player's perspective. But, from what I have read of Rocket's posts, he seems to favor the 28 Days Later infected. Maybe we should rename this "DayI" and start using "infected" instead of "zombie"?

I think something that would benefit now, and no matter how zombies end up "finished" later, is increasing the time it takes for zombies to re-spawn. This would give the authentic tactical option of attempting to simply wipe them all out of an area (maybe even from a distance), and then loot (or whatever). At the least we would be able to have a few minutes to celebrate a hard-won battle. The number of initial zombies spawned might need to be increased (a single player should have a very, very difficult/impossible??? time trying to clear out a big city like Cherno). The benefits could be had right now--only have to tweak the number of zombies spawning and the re-spawn timer.

I suggested in another thread that zombies should be slowed down a fair but, but are able to grapple you, and alert other zombies of your presence. Like, they can still punch you and what not, but occasionally they can grab a hold of you and bite you, and the only way to bleed from them is to be bitten. Bleeding from a punch is tarded. Perhaps with the grappling system, they can even crash tackle you to the ground if you're trying to run away and they try to climb ontop of you, giving a chance for zombies (now slower remember) to swarm you. Crawling zombies grab your legs and pull you over, etc

I know this is possible within the arma engine, but it'd require some work. I think it's worth it though, it's more realistic, but also makes the system more dangerous, but easier to at least outrun the Zeds.

Why is it that the crawlers and the hoppers don't have warping issues? I'd prefer to see all the runners turned into walkers. I understand the argument that they are less lethal that way. Allow them to spawn in any buildings and then those slow walkers you weren't afraid of are suddenly a threat when they're blocking your path out of an already full house.

Personally I think there needs to be way more zombies by the coast, more importantly, the major cities. Berezino, Cherno and Electro should have 10 times as many zombies spawn as they currently do (no kidding, they should be literally everywhere). There should not be the same zombie density in Kemenka as Cherno, doesn't make sense as cities have a much higher population.

The flip side should be, since they are by the coast where the new players are spawning in, they should run a bit slower than player run speed. You may be able to outrun them, but if you are in the middle of a city, you can get surrounded by them if people are being dumb and shooting or running around for no reason. This will force new players to be mindful of zombies around them at all times, and hopefully increased number of zeds in the coastal cities will encourage more players to spread throughout the map.

As players move farther inland, zombie density should be decreased a little bit, but their movement speeds should be increased, forcing players at the NWAF and NEAF to have zombies and players as equal threats. This could potentially be controlled by the quantity and rarity of the loot in specific areas.

I would like to see people making use of the tools used to distract zombies a bit more. Having to clear a path because of sheer numbers would encourage that, and make going to places like the airfields even more dangerous. As it is right now, if you roll with 3 or 4 other people in your group, no one cares about zombies as you will have enough firepower to kill them all. I want even these group to potentially be overwhelmed if they are careless, and it would force people that want to go to places like the airfields to group up.

Could also cut down on server hopping in the barracks if there were 20 zombies inside of each one, that also spawned in as soon as someone was in the area, and not 5 minutes after the server hopper has already looted everything.

I'd also like to see gunshots have a larger effect on zed aggro. Shooting a M107 at the NWAF should cause 30+ zeds to come sprinting in your direction, and a single smoke grenade should not be able to distract them. Maybe some, but definitely not all.