hkurban

Is it just me? Killed by connecting players.

Alright, to preface, I've been playing this mod for a while. Not since the beginning, but long enough to have a feel for the way the game is played and how to be patient.

This is kind of a rant, but personally something I feel could use some addressing.

Today, after patiently stalking through the woods to a barn N of Topolka Dam, spending about 30-60 mins scanning the woodline and making sure there wasn't anyone around; scoping out the barn from both a-far and up close after carefully making my way there. Once inside (there were 2 Z's inside I carefully terminated), I began checking the loot, when a player spawns out of nowhere about 5 feet in front of me. I get into a shootout with him, and I don't even get the spoils of the firefight, as his body instantly sinks through the floor. Before I can get much farther in the barn, a second player has spawned in on the same loft where I and the other player came in at, and he shoots and kills me.

I know we're not supposed to get attached to characters while this game is in Alpha, but I seriously feel cheated by how cheaply people can just spawn in on you in an area you spent so much precious time making dead certain was clear. It really killed the immersion I was feeling minutes ago carefully planning and making my way through the woods. You can plan for zombies. You can plan for sniping bandits. But you really can't plan for people popping up behind you out of thin air.

When I disconnect, I always make sure I'm in the middle of nowhere in a defensible concealed position. I had assumed this was the case with most people. Or perhaps these two individuals were server hopping for loot and I just happened to be in their favorite looting spot.

Maybe we could have some sort of audio cue for disconnecting/connecting players near by such as a yawn? This would also help mitigate the issue of players DCing during a firefight, as if you hear someone yawning in the middle of a firefight, you know you can run up on them while their body is still in game.

I dunno. That's all I got. I hope I'm not alone in these sentiments.

yup its annoying as hell.

Wont be fixed for awhile im sure there is alot more pressing bugs right now.

Log out needs to take longer than instant/ 5seconds. Simple should be sitting down for 30seconds to instantly dissapear. Or your body just stays there for 30seconds. Would stop alot of the bullshit that is going on right now

My friends are guilty when they get to many Zeds they scream dissconnect or ALT F4 quick.

Someone shoots at them dissconnect, ALT F4.

Its lame as fuck :|

He's not complaining about logging *out* he's complaining about people logging IN after he already "secured" an area, thus negating all his work making sure the building/area was empty in the first place. Normally once you know a building is empty you can cover the entrances, but not so when players who had logged out in the building just happen to log in.

There's no easy fix to this, other than making you vulnerable on log-in so players take more care in where they log out. It is RIDICULOUS how often I see people just appear in hangars and shit, whether they're just server hopping or happen to be logging in, or whatever.

I'm constantly scanning anyway so I haven't gotten screwed over because of this yet, but I can imagine how annoying it would be.

or not being able to logout/login in buildings... would also stop people from wiring/tank trapping doors so they can server hop and loot the same buildings over and over.

Me and my buddies used to despawn in barns and whatnot... getting popped in the noggin by an enfield after logging in a few times cured us of that habit.

Now we vacate before... well... vacating. :)

I ran into this twice myself. First time, I had logged out in a barn at the top level near the window. Since my body doesn't stay for any length of time I didn't think it would be an issue.

The next day I signed back in and as soon as I appeared, there was a guy looting the second level below me. I decided to test direct communication, and literally spoke 1 word into my mic and he instantly leveled his gun at me. I'm sure I just surprised him but he was aiming right at me so I didn't take a chance and took him out. I'll admit just spawning into an occupied area set me on high alert so the adrenaline was pumping. From that point I rarely log out in buildings.

However, another time I had logged out in a building, and on return was promptly shot as soon as I appeared. So sometimes it's a double edged sword. I don't really have any good suggestions on how they could defeat this, except for maybe not allowing anyone to log out inside buildings? (maybe you have to be outside?) I'm not sure how that would fly with the community though.

This has happened to a friend of mine a couple of times, and the solution seems fairly simple to me.

When you spawn in, have the player emit a loud yawning sound effect, as though he had just woken up. Thus allerting nearby players to their location.

I believe this would pretty much eliminate the problem.

When you spawn in' date=' have the player emit a loud yawning sound effect, as though he had just woken up. Thus allerting nearby players to their location.

[/quote']

Exactly what I'm suggesting. Should be a fairly simple fix since Day Z already has scripts that take affect for the player upon connect/disconnect. Would add to the immersion of the game as disconnecting would be treated like sleeping, and would actually play into the game. You're not just going to go to sleep in the middle of a crowded, zombie and bandit infested town, are you?

This has happened to a friend of mine a couple of times' date=' and the solution seems fairly simple to me.

When you spawn in, have the player emit a loud yawning sound effect, as though he had just woken up. Thus allerting nearby players to their location.

I believe this would pretty much eliminate the problem.

[/quote']

People are already complainiing of the opposite... And in some cases, making hacking accusations.

If you made a noise when connecting, another player could find you more easily and shoot you before you could flee or defend yourself.

I don't think there is an easy solution.

It should just be impossible to spawn in near buildings, really.

Say there is a 500m radius around objects with a certain ID, if a player logs out inside that zone, he will be moved to the nearest point on the circumference of the "no spawn" zone he is in. If the tents could be prevented from being erected near objects, then surely a similar thing could be done with spawning players.

That would probably also facilitate the placement of invisible "dummy" objects that prevents players from spawning in certain high-tension zones, say the north-west airfield etc.

Due notice should of course be given when aborting/loading the mission.

"You logged out too close to a building and have been moved."

A similar, but smaller, buffer zone could probably be added to players to make it impossible to spawn right on top of someone.

Just happened to me today :(

I joined a server, completely dark.... turn my flashlight, scan the room i'm in....see nothing. Re-scan the room with the flashlight to make sure I didn't miss any loot, and BAM I see a player looking at me.

Of course, first thing I do is shoot them (had a remington with flashlight)

My shot did NOTHING, no bleeding, NOTHING. They shot me 3-4 times with a pistol before I could do anything else and I died.

It sucked but my 1st run of Elektro got me SO much stuff, including a Czech backpack and Camping Tent (2 things I was searching for)..... so I'm kinda happy he killed me.

I've been killed this way. It's incredibly cheap and BS. I was searching the barracks, because, you know, it's the ONLY place to find decent loot.

Some dude logs in directly behind me in one of the rooms with an AS50. He was a server-hopping prick looking for loot. Kills me instantly. Five minutes later, my friends got there to retrieve my gear, but he'd HID MY BODY.

I suggested five seconds of spawn invulnerability/impotence, but the crybabies here on the forums were like 'waaaah, there's so much you can do in FIVE SECONDS!'

Yeah. Like run maybe fifteen metres? Shoot someone with a gun that doesn't cause any damage because you're impotent for five seconds after spawn?

A spawn invulnerability/impotence thing gives you time to look around, recognize a threat, and take action before you're instantly dead. Long enough to take cover, at least.

Either way, it's a lot more time than 'screen fades from black - instantly dead' or 'This play has joined server - you die instantly'

But. *shrug*

Crybabies don't want a fair game.

People are already complaining of the opposite... And in some cases' date=' making hacking accusations.

If you made a noise when connecting, another player could find you more easily and shoot you before you could flee or defend yourself.

I don't think there is an easy solution.

[/quote']

I disagree, the player can prevent themselves being found on spawn by sleeping in areas away from where players are likeley to congregate. e.g a woodland nearby.

What this system encourages is player control.

At the moment, you can die to someone spawning in silently (say, northwest airfield barracks, I'll admit I've abused this far too often, it's an easy way to grab a bunch of loot off people farming it). The player who you spawn next to has no control (and thus die to no fault of their own). He could not prepare for you spawning in there.

However, with the 'yawn' system, the player has a degree of control over his immediate surroundings against players spawning in.

The situation is not weak for the spawning in player either, in order to not risk alerting people that they're spawning in, they can simply spawn out in areas that are unlikely to have people wandering about (forests, plains, effectively anywhere that does not have a loot spawn within 50 meters).

Now both players have control over the risks they take, without any metagame nonsense causing unavoidable deaths.

I made a suggestion that our characters should be server bound. so each server would have a different character, this would prevent people server hoping to say, grab loot from the hanger, less magical pvp from it would occur. While in this scenario of people logging back in would only slightly effected (You could still log off + on in that loot spot and get the drop on someone). Couple this idea with a 15-30 second Disconnect body and you'd probably have less people wanting to risk logging off in a high player loot zone (as they could get poped after dcing in a hanger, or slapped to death by zeds.)

I made a suggestion that our characters should be server bound. so each server would have a different character' date=' this would prevent people server hoping to say, grab loot from the hanger, less magical pvp from it would occur. While in this scenario of people logging back in would only slightly effected (You could still log off + on in that loot spot and get the drop on someone). Couple this idea with a 15-30 second Disconnect body and you'd probably have less people wanting to risk logging off in a high player loot zone (as they could get poped after dcing in a hanger, or slapped to death by zeds.)

[/quote']

I like this idea !

Even if I think this might have side effects, like some servers overcharged, and some deserted.

I made a suggestion that our characters should be server bound. so each server would have a different character' date=' this would prevent people server hoping to say, grab loot from the hanger, less magical pvp from it would occur. While in this scenario of people logging back in would only slightly effected (You could still log off + on in that loot spot and get the drop on someone). Couple this idea with a 15-30 second Disconnect body and you'd probably have less people wanting to risk logging off in a high player loot zone (as they could get poped after dcing in a hanger, or slapped to death by zeds.)

[/quote']

I think this completely destroys the idea of a persistent world though...

plus think about people like me who change servers because they want a daytime server? There's no way I would play this game starting with NOTHING on every new server I played..... that is just insane.

Here's my idea:

If you are in a barn and another player JOINS the game (but does not connect to spawn yet)... then you should be notified of their presence

"A new player has joined the game and will spawn in the area"

What this means is : It gives you a heads up if someone is spawning the building you are. It does NOT tell you exactly where they are, so you won't be able to find someone from a "Yawning" noise that you hear.

Make it so it will only give you this message if their last known location is within, let's say 20 meters.

I think this would work well.... that way you can at least get 1-2 seconds to run away if you want to avoid contact.

I had it happen to me twice last night. Once I was raped from behind when someone logged in & the other I managed to hack his legs up with my hatchet. Started to drag his body behind the hay to continue my devious deed, when Poof he dc'd. hope he bled out when he logged back in.

There is no easy solution for ppl "sleeping" in a house.

If you happen to be there if they log in its just bad luck. Plain and simple and I do not really consider this a problem either because really, what are the chances?

Maybe something a little more common in extremely popular places like airfield hanger but thats to be expected.

What needs to go is that you can do and time that perfectly on purpose; read "stalking" and then ambushing someone using a different server on your way.

An relative easy solution would be to make sure that ppl last seen on a different server will NEVER spawn in exact the same spot they left. In such a case place them randomly within the general area they left from. (like 1km radius or so).

Been killed by this too, there's not really a way to fix it though, not as long as your location is persistent, and I really doubt you want to have to trek in from the coast every time you log on. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often, like I said, been playing a month and I've only died to this once.

This is only one side of the medal, the other is even a bit darker than that.

Not my story, but of a friend of mine:

My friend did spot a guy and was in superior position when the other player retreated into a house (3dp was on, so he could perfectly camera abuse from in there, but this is another story). So my friend thought, hey, i just cover the one entrance and i will likely happen to kill him. Reasonable so far.

The other player logged out (yeah, it was a disconnect to avoid death), logged in on another server and ran behind the position where my friend was. So guess what happened. He logged back in the first server, and just easily shot my friend from behind.

Lesson learned the hard way. But those server instances of the game happen to make abuse so easy...

I had the opposite experience.

I logged in to a game, and when i came into a game someone had allrdy shot me.. :/ So while i was at the receving/loading screen, my char was allrdy in game and have been killed by another player. So when i came into the game i was allrdy with the "you are dead screen"

Thats very annoying when you have been alive for a long time and you have got some very good gear.

Well, when you start dying from invisible people and artillery shells, you sort of just grab an AKM and a can of beans and just enjoy the game for what it is. Gear is easy and all it takes is 3 makerov bullets and you have all that back, including some NVGs.

I had the opposite experience.

I logged in to a game' date=' and when i came into a game someone had allrdy shot me.. :/ So while i was at the receving/loading screen, my char was allrdy in game and have been killed by another player. So when i came into the game i was allrdy with the "you are dead screen"

Thats very annoying when you have been alive for a long time and you have got some very good gear.

[/quote']

Happened to me. Lost a LMG (48), camo, NVG's, GPS and a buch of other shit. I spawned in what I thought was a decently hidden spot...only to have died before I spawned in. :/

What about the "I need to get the hell out of here before someone gets the drop on me" feeling? That's what I feel when I hit up high-value locations, and it goes for people spawning in and for people walking in. You can't secure an area, someone might be 500 meters behind you going to the same place, catch up to you while you're securing the place, notice the dead zombies, and take action.

And people spawning in isn't all advantages for them. You can easily kill someone when they spawn in. My buddy had finished looting a deer stand, and some dude spawned in it. The guy got shot, and he never knew what hit him. And an other time, an other buddy spawned in front of someone, and got gunned down. It's all a question of luck, people usually don't purposely spawn in to kill you.