Sign in to follow this  
StrangeOrange

1.8 Makes Melee Nearly Pointless

I've always felt zeds melee range was way to big, maybe now they'll lower it to what it should be. At the end of the day, if you're wielding a baseball bat, hathcet or machete, your range is increased over that of someone using their hands.

• Like 2

I've always felt zeds melee range was way to big, maybe now they'll lower it to what it should be. At the end of the day, if you're wielding a baseball bat, hathcet or machete, your range is increased over that of someone using their hands.

I think the range has actually been increased because it was just impossible for them to hit you while running before.

It does. I was playing in the US 1.8 test server with 220 ping and taking damage before the zed's attack animation played among other weirdness.

I can also tell you that at some points I have hit a zed once, killed them in one hit, THEN had them hit me, then had them play the death animation and fall over dead. It's ridiculous.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeexactly.

I think the range has actually been increased because it was just impossible for them to hit you while running before.

I don't necessarily agree that the zed range has been increased. I think it's just the machete and possibly other melee weapons' ranges that have been decreased. The reason that zeds couldn't hit you before was that they would have to stop to hit you, and by the time you had stopped you had kept moving slowly backwards again. The classic "Achilles and the Tortoise" paradox put in a practical and rather nonparadoxical light.

Edited by StrangeOrange

I can also tell you that at some points I have hit a zed once, killed them in one hit, THEN had them hit me, then had them play the death animation and fall over dead. It's ridiculous.

That is lag.

That is lag.

I have ~35ms latency and my latency is consistent with how it was in 1.7.7.1 and this issue has NEVER happened before.

I have ~35ms latency and my latency is consistent with how it was in 1.7.7.1 and this issue has NEVER happened before.

I've had the same issue.  These were zeds that I picked off sneaking up behind them, so it's not like they were coming at me attacking.  You might mention this in the 1.8 dev bug thread.

Edited by entspeak

Poor code optimisation, which they have altered greatly in this patch means that data has to work harder to sync, causing lag.

Yeah, I have no idea what your guys are talking about. Melee seems better than ever, having the second primary slot makes melee weapons much more viable.