Sign in to follow this  
78jonybravo

Recently downloaded Dayz

I've just recently downloaded Arma 2 complete collection, and the Day z mod. I'm trying to play via Dayz Commander.

First impressions -

1) It seems extremely difficult to join servers, the majority seem to be on a different version of Day Z (i'm on 1.62 I think from memory). I've tried clicking on the download updates, but I still appear to be on the same version and most servers are on different versions

2) I understand you need to have Arma2 arrowhead running in the background, every time I try to log on to a server I keep getting a message to input a product key code when prompted, however the prompt is never there so I can't input the product key -

3) after narrowing search results down to servers on the same version of Dayz, it is still very difficult to join them, I keep getting error messages and 'cannot join wrong version' messages after trying to connect (possibly due to to 2) above??)

I've managed to join one server in probably 100 attempts, I did manage to get about 30 mins of play time done but it was late at this point and i'd had enough of all the attempts to join a game so ended up going to bed.

I'm putting it down to being a newbee, and not understanding exactly how all this works, so I'm not having a go at the game or the way the online is setup.

Not sure if anyone can offer some advice, as I'd really like to be able to get enjoying this game.

regards

Jon

Firstly, use the left side filters in DayZ Commander. Check hide wrong arma/dayzmod versions, check every other feature (nameplates, crosshairs, third person, etc) you want or not. This will help sorting them. You can also add servers in the favorites tab.

Second, my approach on joining a server, is finding one via DayZ Commander, right click its entry, copy ip to clipboard, go to DayZ, multiplayer > remote > paste ip and port number > join. Always works, no errors, and it's the cleanest approach although it takes more steps than just using DayZ Commander only.

Edited by h3l1x

You DON'T need to have another instance of Arma II running in the background - that would lag like hell!

ARMA 2 has a number of beta patches, which is the version number you get mismatches over. There is a tab in DayZ commander (install/update). In that tab, just above 'mods' in big blue letters, you can se your ARMA version number and is given the opportunity to update.

About the product key, have you tried to run ARMA 2 without DayZ? It might only prompt for it in unmodded games, and I imagine only very shady servers accept people without a valid product key.

Hi guys

thanks for the helpful responses, I'll take a look this evening and follow through on the advice and see how it goes

Again, thanks all

Jon

if you simply follow one of probably 5000 guides on google about dayz arma 2 install...you would probably have figured it out in a few minutes.

it really is not that confusing

research first, if that fails, then ask.

I've come from a PS3 online gaming background, to get up and running online by comparison is childs play.

Update

A friend recommended a different application to launch day z called play with 6. I tried it once and got straight on to the first server I tried. Minimal fuss and effort.

So I've deleted Dayz commander as it's poor in comparison to play with 6.

First game was excellent, and what I was expecting from Dayz - starting off on a beach with nothing but some supplies and a machete and then off to explore

Completely different than the games I managed to access through Dayz commander, which seemed to drop you in the middle of a Call of Duty fire fight.

Also - I wasn't constantly being prompted to input the product key when launching through 6

Either way - I got there in the end! What a cracking game it is

(Steam version)

Download Arma2 Combined Operations (arma2 and operation arrowhead).
Install both games.
Open both games once and close them. 
Install DayZ Commander, Open DayZ commander.
On the top right corner it says Versions, click it. Now you got several different mods of DayZ(find the one you wanna install).
Install it(them). Now also in the TAB- versions you will see Arma 2 patches. Install the stable one or latest.
Now once you are done with all this focus on the left tab. You can filter hide wrong arma/dayz versions to easily find a working server.
Find a server you want and join it. Done

Edited by flygamer1