jokwod (DayZ)

Radio broadcast towers

Me and my friends have been playing the game for a while now, and started talking about possible ideas like dynamic events to add small goals into the game for you if you decide to do it.

The best of these ideas was the idea to have a radio tower, in which you could record a message to play over all radio devices in Chernarus.

With this it adds a goal for server regulars and groups to control the radio tower, so that their message can be heard in certain buildings, or even on a radio item. This could be used to broadcast a location in which people looking to join a group could go to, and possibly join your group

What does everyone think of this? I personally feel Dayz needs more things like this to get people moving about the map, not just to acquire loot and vehicles, But also other things; like a petrol station for a steady supply of food or Lighting the lighthouse. Small events like this would give bigger groups daily routines and a goal after they have gotten a full set of loot.

TL : DR Think of that scene in "28 Days Later" with the radio, now imagine you could do the same in Dayz

Interesting. I could start my own radio show.

I could see this happening, some guy making comments on the happenings on the server gathered by the eyes and ears of Chernarus :)

Well with this you could add radios to the game (other than the scary numberrecieving one) and there could be a simple "turn on/off" feature to it, what it also could do is make side channel available to the poeple carrying one.

no. some dickhead will get a hold of it and constantly spam rebecca black or some other crap that passes for music these days. or other distracting sounds, gun fire shots, etc. or just yell and scream into it.

no. some dickhead will get a hold of it and constantly spam rebecca black or some other crap that passes for music these days. or other distracting sounds' date=' gun fire shots, etc. or just yell and scream into it.

[/quote']

Therefore the "on/off" feature?

I am pretty sure something like this is intended at some stage. But i think it would be more along of that having access to a radio kicks in the Glocal chat option so that all others with a radio can hear you.

The only question I have is, how do you keep players from using abusive language.

The only question I have is' date=' how do you keep players from using abusive language.

[/quote']

In a Post-Apocalyptic world, abusive language should be the least of your concern. :)

The only question I have is' date=' how do you keep players from using abusive language.

[/quote']

This is a mod for an M game. That doesn't matter.

Back to the suggestion, this reminds me of the radio stations in Fallout 3, I always loved listening to those, but being broadcasted by survivors/bandits would be awesome.

Sounds good to me, and it goes along with my forum post about working lighthouses. Would be sweet to try and get to the radio tower to have message be heard by the masses

[/quote']

Anyone who gets offended by broadcasted swear words can go back to crocheting socks while watching Leave It to Beaver.

Racism can be self-moderated by players. Someone spouting neo-nazi garbage on the radio? Go to the radio station and deal with them.

Just to add to your suggestion. The radio receiver could even be a part of the game. To listen to the broadcasts you would have to find a radio as a piece of loot. Expanding a little further there could be two or more types or radio, one which is similar to a walkie talkie when turned on can be heard in your vicinity by zombies and players and one which is a military style in ear radio which doesn't give off and sound.

Anyone who gets offended by broadcasted swear words can go back to crocheting socks while watching Leave It to Beaver.

Racism can be self-moderated by players. Someone spouting neo-nazi garbage on the radio? Go to the radio station and deal with them.

Now that sounds like a good time

My friends and I have been thinking about this too! I love the idea of being able to broadcast locations to meet up and interact with players before you're right in there face. A problem on my server that I play on right now is that everyone shoots first and asks questions later. Would be cool if you could get a message out there.

no. some dickhead will get a hold of it and constantly spam rebecca black or some other crap that passes for music these days. or other distracting sounds, gun fire shots, etc. or just yell and scream into it.

Team up to kill the retard?