Carl Weathers

If I had my hands in this mod (updated server jumping fix)

Rocket,

First I love you mod very much and I know it is an early build so this is just a list of changes I would make.

Server Jumping:

We all know people server jump to find new weapons and there is little that can be done about it right now. So instead of saving the exact location and having the person return when they login again, switch it up. If they return to the same server allow them to spawn at the exact same spot, but if they switch servers they have a halo parachute and spawn 5k feet up randomly place over the map. This would be great for two reasons, first people would be more dedicated to one server as falling in from the sky would attract a lot of attention. Secondly, if teams were switching servers and wanted to meet up it would provide them with a way to cover a lot of ground very quickly.

Weapons:

Melee: make the hunting knife usable in this sense and make it allowed as a secondary weapon. Also throwing knives would be a great addition to the game.

Crossbow: Allow player to combine bolts with equipment, for example how amazing would grenade bolts be? Also it would allow for flare bolts/smoke bolts. I realize this would be a good bit of code but it would be a great addition.

Zombies:

I like the idea of special zombies in the world for example the Bath Salts zombie. It would be the fastest zombie in the game, but it would fall over things as it would have no face. It's sense of sight would be gone, but bump up the hearing as a result and have it come to the aid of of zombies howling.

Throw in decayed zombies that rise up from the ground. These would move much slower due to the decayed nature, but the surprise factor would throw people off.

Zombie groups should be roaming around also I find the countryside minus bandits is a very safe place. This could curb that idea a little bit.

Zombie wolves which roam the north would be a great idea. They are away from the beaches to prevent the destruction of new players, but make traveling to the northern most areas more difficult. Traveling through the forest now unarmed isn't very dangerous but if a small pack of zed wolves howled in the distance you might reconsider that.

Character development:

I also would love the idea of rewarding players for the actions they do in the world. Keep a running tally of player actions such as killing bandits/murders. The more murders you commit you could come back as a zombie commander and make use of the communication hub to command your zombie minions. They would have a distinct army outfit to discern them from others and spawn at high activity areas Cherno/Electro/NW Airport. The zombie vision would be blurred or obscured so they wouldn't be able to see across the map and the movement speed should be lowered too.

For killing bandits reward the player with additional starting equipment a sidearm for example. This would prevent the Markov beach battles as people who murder others wouldn't have access to these weapons.

These could be applied to healing other players by giving these players a Medic outfit. Allow them to use more advance medical devices such as a Defibrillator which could zap somebody back from the beyond if they are reached within the 5 seconds post death. I realize this would be incredibly difficult to code, but couldn't you make a unconscious period once the blood level reaches 0?

Also I thought of a great idea for a starting weapon. The flare gun with 3 flares. Each flare could have a 3/5 second fuse and could be use to meet up with your team, distract zombies or just shoot zombies.

Camp Setup:

The idea of making a personal encampment is the best part of surviving the zombie apocalypse. If deployment of equipment were tracked you could create an Engineer type loadout. Allow this player to create a additional items from the the toolkit. Even make unique combinations out of existing items.

Special gunpowder from the heat packs: http://hackaday.com/2012/03/06/brewing-up-gunpowder-with-household-products/

Jerry can + empty whiskey bottle = molotov cocktails

gunpowder + empty soda cans + matches = IED (with weight setting soldier/car/ect)

gunpowder + scrap + casings = ammo

windshield glass + entrenching tool = punji pit (break glass fall into pit)

Just shooting around some ideas I guess.

Pretty much most of this is planned.

Feature freeze is on at the moment, fixes for 1.7.1. Probably 1 more hotfix, maybe not depending on the performance of 1.7.1.5

Some form of character development would be nice, as long as it's plausible, relevant to survival, and doesn't detract from the realism of the game. There's always the risk though that it'll promote grinding - i.e. people playing the game solely to level up rather than to survive.

Pretty much most of this is planned.

Feature freeze is on at the moment' date=' fixes for 1.7.1. Probably 1 more hotfix, maybe not depending on the performance of 1.7.1.5

[/quote']

Wow incredibly impressed at the quick reply. I am a recent grad with a BS in Software Engineering my focus was Security/Forensics, which isn't very applicable but have a have no direction in my life at the moment other than applying for jobs and playing dayz. If I could help in any way I would be honored; I love to code and once I wrapped my head around everything would have some serious time to commit to the project.

Some form of character development would be nice' date=' as long as it's plausible, relevant to survival, and doesn't detract from the realism of the game. There's always the risk though that it'll promote grinding - i.e. people playing the game solely to level up rather than to survive.

[/quote']

Quick fix to this would be to reset the level every 2nd/3rd/4th/nth death. That way it would allow the server to purge the data and force you to start from scratch if you had a few quick deaths. In my experience I survive for hours at a time, then die and suffer a few quick deaths trying to get good equipment again.

Crossbow: Allow player to combine bolts with equipment' date=' for example how amazing would grenade bolts be? Also it would allow for flare bolts/smoke bolts. I realize this would be a good bit of code but it would be a great addition.

[/quote']

WTF is this some kinda rambo shit? Seriously, taping a grenade/smoke grenade to a crossbow bolt? omg, it wouldn't fly more than 3 feet...

Flare bolt is doable, but the other things..omg

Crossbow: Allow player to combine bolts with equipment' date=' for example how amazing would grenade bolts be? Also it would allow for flare bolts/smoke bolts. I realize this would be a good bit of code but it would be a great addition.

[/quote']

WTF is this some kinda rambo shit? Seriously, taping a grenade/smoke grenade to a crossbow bolt? omg, it wouldn't fly more than 3 feet...

Flare bolt is doable, but the other things..omg

Arma II has a zero'ing set for rifles which I'm sure could be applied to the crossbow. You could weight the bolts each according to the objects. I'm not saying that you could duct tape a grenade but rather take apart the nade and use the parts from it instead.

It would take some serious mcgyver to do a stunt like that...I mean.. ok take the detonator out of a grenade is easy, rigging it to a bolt is easy, getting it to explode in the face of whatever you're shooting at...triiicky! I dont believe there are offensive contact grenades in arma 2, only timed ones..and they usually have a timer of around 3.4 seconds to 3.8 seconds.

But on second thought, maybe that should be the downfall of doing this, you basically loose your grenade by doing this, but you get to make a pretty nasty hole in whoever you shoot with it, you wont do AoE dmg, but it should drop a guy dead if he has a detonator from a grenade lodged inside him when it goes off. And if you miss..well detonator blows up anyways.

Forget what I said about the grenade :).

Smoke grenade however, not doable, it needs the entire grenade to be effective as its full of sugar and sulphur if i recall correctly from my chemistry classes :P

Great set of suggestions and glad to read that some are already on the ideas board. The thought of getting all Macgyver on it is scratching away at my Fallout3 junk-recycler itch, and a medic-type player could be fun as I'm a pretty terrible shot.

And there's still plenty of meat on this mod already. Now you take this mod home, get it out of feature freeze, throw it in a pot, add some of those suggestions, and polish it all the way into beta. Baby, you've got a stew going on :)

Throwing knives are dumb in any game, and ever since CoD had them, it seems like I've seen them suggested in every game i have ever been on the forums of. Not that I am using the CoD-kiddy reply; it just seems like killing people by hitting them in the toe after ricocheting three times really popularized the weapon.

Throwing knives require tons of practice to be able to even stick them in a large wooden target of known distance. Estimating the spin on a target of unknown distance is the next skill to be learned. Adding in the movement of a target is massively difficult even for the best in the world.

Any trained professional will tell you that throwing away your weapon is the worst thing you could possibly do.

Finally, the damage they do would be minimal except for the rare occasion you could get penetration. The most you could reasonably expect it to leave is a slash, due to the rotation of the blade.

A spinless throw, on the other hand, only has an effective range of 10 feet or so. And still lacks much penetration. Here, aiming for vitals would be the key, and you are back into world-class territory.

i have to disagree with you about the "hunting knife"

first of all its the "cooking knife" and you can't cook with something that was inside zombie..

logical isn't? if it had use to kill zombies, so why not killing cow with hatchet?

i have to disagree with you about the "hunting knife"

first of all its the "cooking knife" and you can't cook with something that was inside zombie..

logical isn't? if it had use to kill zombies' date=' so why not killing cow with hatchet?

[/quote']

I have used the hatchet many times when I had no gun or little ammo to kill critters.

how amazing would grenade bolts be?

Terrible.

You couldn't tape this to one of these and expect it to go very far or be very accurate.