Sign in to follow this  
delta5

server hardware

If someone wanted to build their own server, what would be needed for 50 slots, roaming ai, lots of scripts, and no lag. Would you need dual xeon 8 core cpus =ing 16 cores?

Renting is where it's at. Don't waste your precious bandwith. Do your research and there are quite a few reputable server hosts willing to take your money in exchange for a server tailored for your needs.

Well I could prob rent rack space and get at least T2 speed I think. More of a thought than anything. I priced out some hardware for a 16 core xeon build at about 11k usd.

Well I could prob rent rack space and get at least T2 speed I think. More of a thought than anything. I priced out some hardware for a 16 core xeon build at about 11k usd.

An E3-1230V2 will be more then enough for a single 50 man server, you could run a few 50 man servers on it. There is no need for 16 core machines, DayZ/Arma does not really benefit from multiple threads, so the faster single thread speed you have, the better the performance. That's why an E3-1230v2 is perfect (high single thread speeds). You can easily build an E3 machine for ~900 USD. As far as BW goes 5TB on a 100mbps port will suit you just fine.

An E3-1230V2 will be more then enough for a single 50 man server, you could run a few 50 man servers on it. There is no need for 16 core machines, DayZ/Arma does not really benefit from multiple threads, so the faster single thread speed you have, the better the performance. That's why an E3-1230v2 is perfect (high single thread speeds). You can easily build an E3 machine for ~900 USD. As far as BW goes 5TB on a 100mbps port will suit you just fine.

So what could one of these do?

So what could one of these do?

More cores means you can host more server instances on the same machine.  It's basically like having two e3-1245's glued together, allowing you to host twice as many servers on the same machine.  It will not make your single server any faster because Arma2 is not multi-threaded and each instance is constrained to one CPU core.

Edited by ersan191

Here's my thoughts from a recent reddit post on a similar topic:

In my case, I only wanted a server just for DayZ--nothing else. So, since DayZ doesn't use more than two cores, but really benefits from a high CPU clock speed, I chose non-server components. This allowed my to have a higher performing server (by overclocking) and still be much cheaper than using server-grade stuff.

My server:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K (overclocked to 4.2GHz using a specific 2U cooler & 10,000 RPM Delta fan)

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-27) (1.5V) (I only have this much RAM, so DayZ can be on a RAMdrive)

Crucial M4 SSD (64GB)

NIC: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO/1000 CT

One thing I should have done was add a large/cheap storage drive, so I could put multiple windows install images on it (server 2008 r2 & server 2012). I would only have used this drive if I had needed to re-install on the SSD, or if the SSD went bad (just ship another) by using the data center's kvm gear. So, right now, if I have to re-install, I can use their KVM gear, but I would have to stream it from home where my upload bandwidth is really low (it would take many hours).

If I was building a server today, the only differences would be that I would use the Haswell 4670k CPU, and add that storage drive I mentioned above.

In your case, since it sounds like you want to have your server handle multiple things simultaneously, you might be better off using a Xeon CPU with their many cores, and larger cache. You would lose a lot of CPU clock speed, but it would probably be okay (I'm not sure which Xeons would work speed-wise, though). The downside of this option is that it would be crazy expensive for a decent Xeon (clock speed-wise).

For me, from a $$$/performance standpoint, I would either build and colo a non-Xeon server, or rent a dedicated Xeon server. I would not build and colo a Xeon server, or rent a non-Xeon server.

Of course, if you have lots of $$$, then just build and colo a high-end Xeon server.

Edited by joikd