Sign in to follow this  
LilBambi

Vehicles: Bells & Whistles

Since DayZ's "scroll and click" system allows a player to do many different actions, why not add some more interactivity within the vehicles for the Standalone? Some ideas I had were:

• Turn the car/heli radio on and off while the engine is running; can be tuned into players' frequencies or can play generic tunes (wouldn't you want to blast out a rock solo while flying across an apocalyptic wasteland? ;))
  • Turn the lights inside the car (not the headlights) on/off; this is to help see the other players riding with you in the vehicle when it is really dark outside, and to increase immersion
  • Turn windshield wipers on/off; when it starts to rain, you'll be able to see through the windshield :)

What do you think?

• Like 2

Too many buttons.  The action menu is already a pain.  

I'd like to have more (proper) control over stuff, sure. But AFAIK the current way of thinking is for them to reduce the number of options (clutter) on the scroll wheel / action menu.

What I'd like to see is a very specific context menu, depending on which controls / objects you're looking at. Whether on the dash of a car or otherwise.

As it is now (and in ArmA 3) the actions available on the list seem to be whatever's in your general area, as opposed to the specific objects you're looking at.

If the selection was tightened up a bit, the number of available actions for quite a small area (eg. vehicle interior) could be raised without cluttering the menu.

Using a mouse allows for very good hand/eye coordination, so I don't think it would be difficult to operate. And it would allow Rocket to make use of player-knowledge about certain vehicles etc.

Maybe it's not feasible, but that's the way I'd like to see it work.

• Like 3

Too many buttons.  The action menu is already a pain.  

Perhaps bind keys to the actions instead?

I'd like to have more (proper) control over stuff, sure. But AFAIK the current way of thinking is for them to reduce the number of options (clutter) on the scroll wheel / action menu.

What I'd like to see is a very specific context menu, depending on which controls / objects you're looking at. Whether on the dash of a car or otherwise.

As it is now (and in ArmA 3) the actions available on the list seem to be whatever's in your general area, as opposed to the specific objects you're looking at.

If the selection was tightened up a bit, the number of available actions for quite a small area (eg. vehicle interior) could be raised without cluttering the menu.

Using a mouse allows for very good hand/eye coordination, so I don't think it would be difficult to operate. And it would allow Rocket to make use of player-knowledge about certain vehicles etc.

Maybe it's not feasible, but that's the way I'd like to see it work.

As long as you don't have to look directly at something, I'm down with it. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to access the Gear slot of a car and it doesn't come up, lol.

EDIT: Double post. My bad

Edited by LilBambi

I'd guess the best way would be to have "consoles" or "panels", with different functions.

So you have the ignition, lights and wipers (Rocket, please add wipers. AND blood-splats / hail / heavy rain) on one "driver side" panel and heaters, fans, hazards and a lighter on another "centre" panel. Window control at each window. etc.

• Like 1

It would also be really neat if people in the back of a car could interact with the vehicle as well. :)

Since DayZ's "scroll and click" system allows a player to do many different actions, why not add some more interactivity within the vehicles for the Standalone? Some ideas I had were:

• Turn the car/heli radio on and off while the engine is running; can be tuned into players' frequencies or can play generic tunes (wouldn't you want to blast out a rock solo while flying across an apocalyptic wasteland? ;))
  • Turn the lights inside the car (not the headlights) on/off; this is to help see the other players riding with you in the vehicle when it is really dark outside, and to increase immersion
  • Turn windshield wipers on/off; when it starts to rain, you'll be able to see through the windshield :)

What do you think?

• Would be nice
  • easier to shoot you out of a vehicle in the dark
  • no use with 3P

• Would be nice
  • no use with 3P

3P can die in a hole, it ruins the combat... AND I CAN'T STOP USING IT!

• Would be nice
  • no use with 3P

• But the same could be said when you have the headlights on or when you're holding a chemlight. People can see you easier, but you can see the world around you easier as well. :P
  • Dean might make 3P context sensitive where you can't use 3P inside a vehicle.

What do you think?

Not some bad ideas.  I'm really looking forward to what they do with vehicles in SA.  I'm really hoping we'll be able to lean out windows and shoot.

Not some bad ideas.  I'm really looking forward to what they do with vehicles in SA.  I'm really hoping we'll be able to lean out windows and shoot.

Hopefully only with pistols. :P Unless they let us sit in the back of a pickup. That would be AWESOME.

Hopefully only with pistols. :P Unless they let us sit in the back of a pickup. That would be AWESOME.

You can do that in Takistan Life.  It's a ton of fun and I'm surprised the mod team haven't incorporated it into the Dayz mod yet.

Edited by Skat3rat

Can we get backup cameras? Reversing in first person is a bitch.

PiP mirrors, dude!

If they manage to add working wingmirrors/rearview and the ability to fire a sidearm out the window, SA is going to kick even more ass.

• Like 4